cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

US roaming add-on

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

 

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.

Mayor / Maire

Re: US roaming add-on


@popping wrote:

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

 

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.


I'm not clear on the intentions of this post. It seems to ask and answer.

I suppose if you were close to a border you could scan/connect/roam and see if it works and then really go into the states afterwards.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: US roaming add-on

If you live away from border there isn't a way to check. If you added it a day or so before as it's a 10 day add on siimpy go into their account and check if it's been added to add on section. Since it's a 3 day trip doesn't really matter if it's done before. Without connecting to a tower the only way is to do before and check account add on.

Oracle

Re: US roaming add-on


@popping wrote:

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

 

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.


I have had 5 US romaing packages between my lines and have never had any issues with them working.  I did experience the not receiving text after expiry but I had full service for my tiime in the states


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: US roaming add-on

u cant test them out, but i dont see why they woldn't work, worst case scenario u got internet access, that u can use

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: US roaming add-on


@ShawnC13 wrote:

@popping wrote:

My kid is taking one of my PM SIM to US for a few days.  Is there any way to test the US roaming before leaving Canada?  It is a 3 days trip.  By the time I found out the add-on does not work and waiting for 3 days for moderator to fix the problem.  My kid will be back in Canada.

 

I can check online whether the add-on is added to the account and the data usage lon the overage page.  It is all I can do before my kid leaves Canada.


I have had 5 US romaing packages between my lines and have never had any issues with them working.  I did experience the not receiving text after expiry but I had full service for my tiime in the states


I may be paranoid after reading problem posts here for the last 5 months.  Moderator wait time from 48 hours to the current 72 hours. 

 

Thank you for your assuring info.  I will purchase the US roaming add-on and hope for the best.  My kid has an unlocked Telus iPhone 8 which will work with AT&T or T-Mobile networks in US.

Mayor / Maire

Re: US roaming add-on

@popping you may want to show your kid (or perhaps an adult the kid is travelling with?--I'm not sure how old your kid is and whatnot) how to use the manual network selection, in case automatic doesn't work.  For some people it works fine with no issue, for others, they have to manually choose AT&T or T-Mobile.  Actually coach them to try a reboot first, as some phones require that.  


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: US roaming add-on

I have never had a problem with US roaming. And my wife uses it as well. We just got back from Florida.Because it was a 3 week trip I opted for a local SIM. But my wife prefers to keep her usual number when traveling so she purchased US roaming add-on, and after 10 days purchased another. Zero problems. Between both of us I estimate we have used US roaming a dozen times. Zero issues. Neither of us has ever had to manually select network or anything. The most I've had to do is reboot the phone . My advice; purchase the addon and relax. It'll work .

 

GC 

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: US roaming add-on


@srlawren wrote:

@popping you may want to show your kid (or perhaps an adult the kid is travelling with?--I'm not sure how old your kid is and whatnot) how to use the manual network selection, in case automatic doesn't work.  For some people it works fine with no issue, for others, they have to manually choose AT&T or T-Mobile.  Actually coach them to try a reboot first, as some phones require that.  


Thank you for the tip.  I will prepare my adult kid on what to do after landing at PHX.

 

@GreatCanadian wrote:

...

My advice; purchase the addon and relax. It'll work .

 

GC 

Thanks

 

 

 

Mayor / Maire

Re: US roaming add-on

@popping @GreatCanadian yeah I've also personally used it likely 10-12 times in the past (some weekends away, a few relatively expensive day trips, as well as some longer US getways), as well as my better half has used the PM US Roaming on most of those trips as well, all without issue other than as @ShawnC13 noted the Texting add-on expiry bug (which everyone runs into).  


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.