cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming add on expiry or plan renewal affects ability to receive sms texts?

deb6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

Recently  I bought the the $20 US  talk/data/text add on.  During the period of the add on was valid I was able to receive sms text messages.

Yesterday I received a text from PM giving me a heads up that the US roaming package  expired tomorrow. Yesterday, I also received a text from PM saying thanking for my payment and that my plan was successfully renewed.

Yesterday I couldn't receive sms text messages from myself or those sent by others on the PM network. I don't know if this extended beyond users on the PM network. I could receive MMS messages yesterday from others on the PM network. The same others that I could not receive SMS texts from.

As of yesterday, the last SMS text message that I had received (other than from PM) was on the 25-Aug.

Today I am back to being able to receive SMS text messages. From my  perspective, I have made no changes to make SMS text messages work today other than waiting some time.

None of the messages sent from others on the PM network yesterday have been received since messages reception resumed today.

If this is a PM problem I would like it fixed or be given a decent workaround. Not being able to rely on being able to receive texts (with no apparent warning) causes lots of problems.

deb6

5 REPLIES 5

deb6

Thanks for the additional details explaining the problem.

There  is better alignment between your description of the problem and my description of the problem than I originally thought. 

I bought the add on on the 17-Aug.  I couldn't receive SMS texts on the 27-Aug.

What was misleading to me is a text message received from PM date stamped on the 27-Aug saying the add on was expiring "tomorrow" . I assumed the text message meant that the add on expired on the 28-Aug but according to the 10 day calculation that you provided the add on expired on the 27-Aug ( 9 days after the 17-Aug purchase date). And the 27-Aug was the day I couldn't receive SMS texts.

Not having a official description of the problem from PM that can be referenced by the PM community  doesn't bode well for this problem being fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deb6 wrote:

Its not clear that your description of a known problem lines up with what I have reported.

You said the day after an add on expires - you can't do texting.

I said that  I couldn't text on the day before the add on expires.

Which day is texting disabled relative to an add on expiring? Is it deterministic or random? Is it one day or possibly more?

Is there a better description of this "known" problem? A link describing the problem would be appreciated.

I probably got confused with your timeline description.

I'm not sure anything official has been stated. It's just known that this is a problem.

What I understand is that the day after the add-on expires is the day that texting doesn't work.

You buy the add-on say on Aug 1. That's day 1. 9 days later on Aug 10 (10 days of add-on) at 11:59pm ET the add-on expires. The next day (11th) texting doesn't work. The day after (12th) texting is back.

That's how I understand it.

deb6

Its not clear that your description of a known problem lines up with what I have reported.

You said the day after an add on expires - you can't do texting.

I said that  I couldn't text on the day before the add on expires.

Which day is texting disabled relative to an add on expiring? Is it deterministic or random? Is it one day or possibly more?

Is there a better description of this "known" problem? A link describing the problem would be appreciated.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a known issue with no ETA for resolution unfortunately. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deb6 

Unfortunately, this is a long-standing bug in the system.

The day after the add-on expires...you can't do texting.

Try one of those free texting programs that uses the internet . You just have to deal with another number.

Always good to have back up communication methods anyway.

Need Help? Let's chat.