cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data roaming: can use even in Canada?

Ted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i made a purchase for the add-on us roaming 500MB , but i am in Canada, and i was wondering if the data can be used as normal mobile data once my normal plan's bandwitdh is completly used?

..because in about 20 MB, i wont have internet anymore.. i bought the add-on to make sure i still have some internet data once my plan is used.. 

if not, how can i refund the add-on i just bought and buy the normal data add-on instead?

17 REPLIES 17

Ted

thanks.. i was starting to think i was being forgotten.. i posted my issue 4 - 5 days ago.. thanks for your reply, i replied to your message.. will wait impatiently for your next reply..

have a good one.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @Ted,

We've replied to your message. Please check your inbox.

Thank you,

Syed

All Public Mobilie roaming packages are useless within Canada.  They can't be used for anything unless you are actually roaming.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My mistake, I see the Mods work Sun-Sat, please ignore my comment about M-F.

=aw

ottawa

@Ted wrote:

i wont buy a second add-on after buying this one that i cannot use at all 😛

If we were sitting at a table together, I'd ask you this: "Why not? That $15 is gone either way. Unless you think they tricked you."

=aw

ottawa

Mods work Monday-Friday so count the 48 hours that way. I know it's frustrating and I was recently at the point myself of saying "if this [problem] happened on my primary line, I'd be thinking of walking too". Luckily it was a spare (2xPM meeting my needs better than 1xAnythingElse at the time).

OTOH I'm on my fourth go-round with phone agents at a major telecom company, about a line that they acknowledge was already cancelled (there's a CBC article today about the perils of [Canada-based] contracted-out billing support at the majors). Heck, I had to go physically 3 times to my bank's local branch just to get them to fax their own form properly to the "back office"! Sorry for the rant, point being phone support and F2F support are really not better than PM's solution.

What data add-on are you planning to buy if you do get your $15 refund? Presumably $30/1GB since $10/200MB won't be enough. Unless you live in Ottawa or QC, it's hard to think of a carrier that will end up costing less than just paying extra for a PM add-on or early plan switch. And I'm sorry to be blunt, but if the mods can't refund your $15, it's gone whether you stay or leave (my money would be on them refunding it, but who knows).

The point is, if you have the funds (no sarcasm) the fastest way to get your data is to buy the $30 add-on without waiting for a possible $15 credit.

Leaving out of frustration at the support model would be understandable. But please run the numbers before leaving.

I don't think anyone here wants you (or anyone) to stay out of blind loyalty if there's another solution that works better for you. But it's hard to think what will be better. Leaving out of frustration at the support model would be understandable. But please run the numbers before leaving. You could even run them past us here. 🙂

=aw

Ted

EDIT: and keep in mind, as i previously said, i do want to buy an add-on, but with the refund of the 500MB US roaming addon.

i wont buy a second add-on after buying this one that i cannot use at all 😛

Ted

hi

no, i dont need a bigger plan, as i said in my previous post, this time was an exception because of my 'moving', and the extra data i want to buy, is with the money i used for the 500MB us roaming data, wich was an accident.

My plan is perfect for what i need, but this month, i need 500MB to finish something before moving completly to my new house.

..Still havent had any reply from any mods yet and its been more then 48hours, if i dont get a reply or refund i will have no choice then to quit public mobile since its gonna cost me too much just for this month since i will have other tele-communication bills to pay starting next week..

Hopefully a MOD will chime in soon.

ottawa

@Ted wrote:

hi

well..not really.. i mean, i dont need to renew my plan.. i need to get a refund for the add-on a accidently bought, wich is unused.

i wrote a mod yesterday, will wait a reply.

Actually based on your posts, what you _really_ need is more data. I think mimmo_L was suggesting ways to get that additional data you need for the next 6 days. No matter what solution the mods come up with for your US Add-On (refund, credit, or sorry no refunds; I am not a Mod and make no claims), you will still need to get more data. 

You said you need another 500MB for the next 6 days. The first 2 solutions below are pretty straightforward. The 3rd is not.

You could buy multiple 200MB Data Add-Ons for $10 each. This would be a _very_ bad investment if you truly need 500MB, as it would cost you $30.

You could buy a 1GB Data Add-On for $30. It never expires, so if you only use 500MB you will have 500MB in reserve in case you ever have a busy month in future.

The less obvious thing (which might make sense if you're near end of billing cycle) to which mimmo_L was alluding would be to change plans with immediate effect (I think it has to be to a new plan to do it self-serve). Then as soon as it's effective, book another plan change (perhaps back to your $40/4.5GB) and make it effective "next billing date". Most likely you'd want to change to the $45 plan now, then book a change to the $40 plan for future effect. Or stay on the $45 or even $50 plan, if that suits you better. Yes you're throwing away the rest of the current billing cycle if you do this, but it may be worth it (you have to do the numbers). A few months ago, I did change from $30 to $40 plan with a week left to go on the billing month, I had burned through my 500MB and was tapping my Add-On. I could see that adding another Add-On would cost more than just changing to $40 plan immediately and losing a week of the $30 plan. I made the change while sitting in my car waiting for someone. Love Public Mobile for that! Of course in my case I stayed with the $40 plan because 500MB wasn't enough.

@Note that the current bonus plans cannot be ordered after Monday Oct 15 @ 1159pm EDT. That's why we're suggesting you book the future change right away (none of us knows if there will be other good plans after Monday). This is also an opportunity to think if you want to move to the $45 (6GB) or $50 (8GB+Canada-US calling) ongoing, in which case change to one of those, and stay on it.

Sorry for the long post, but ultimately based on your posts, your need for more data is separate from the disposition of your US Roaming Add-On. (My guess is they'll credit that purchase back to your account, though I'm not a Mod so it really is a guess).

=aw

Ted

cool! will wait a reply 🙂

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ted wrote:

hi

well..not really.. i mean, i dont need to renew my plan.. i need to get a refund for the add-on a accidently bought, wich is unused.

We were just advised by one of the mods wait time is floating aroudn 24 hours so you should here back anytime now

Ted

hi

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You could

1) simply do an immediate plan change and then futuredate your old plan if still available

2) ask mods to renew your plan early.

Ted

thanks!

well to be honest its a really temporary situation so i usually dont go over..this time it was kind different since i moved to a new house and was using my mobile data like crazy to set everything up with my people etc.. i usually stay in plans btween  4.5GB and 8 GB , currently i use the 4.5GB for 40$.

i dont usually need more but i definitly need atleast 500MB for the next 6 days atleast... or else life will get pretty hard and tuff for me for the next weeks since i will need to push some dates for the end of my moving..

i wrote to a Mod, will wait for a reply 🙂

have a good one guys and gals, and thanks for the help.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@TedDepending on your needs, what you currently have and how often you go over $30 for 1gb can be quite expensive depending on how often you need to buy an add on. It may be cheaper to spend $5 more per month and get more data included in your plan. Depending on where you are currently $5 can mean the difference between 1gb per month and 4.5gb.

3.5gb extra for $5 monthly.  Thats like 21GB for $30 (plan) vs 1GB for $30 (add-on)

If you give me the current details and cost of your existing plan and your data habits we could figure that out for you pretty easily.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Ted wrote:

i made a purchase for the add-on us roaming 500MB , but i am in Canada, and i was wondering if the data can be used as normal mobile data once my normal plan's bandwitdh is completly used?

..because in about 20 MB, i wont have internet anymore.. i bought the add-on to make sure i still have some internet data once my plan is used.. 

if not, how can i refund the add-on i just bought and buy the normal data add-on instead?

They are not interchangable. If you just bought it and didn't use it the moderator team should be able to do that for you. But beware of wait times. And remember as a pre-paid service they don't HAVE to refund you. So be nice.

If you need data, buy the proper data add on now, and send a message asking them to refund the US roaming one. Click this to send them a message. Remember to give a full description of your issue with as much detail and include your name, account number and/or phone number and pin number so they don’t send you a message back asking for more details.

I know it can be a little frustrating to wait but they will get back to you asoon as they can between Monday-Friday 9am-9pm (EDT) and Satuday-Sunday 9AM-7:30PM (EDT) 

For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ted wrote:

US roaming data and regular data are 2 different things.

One is for Canada, 1 is for outside Canada while roaming.

You canno't use the US Roaming in Canada. If it worked this way you would get a lot of angry customers.

If you need a refund its not something guarenteed but you can contact the mod team to ask them for assistance they will more than likely be able to help you with that... Click this to send them a message  Please include in the private message your phone number, name, your account number and PIN code with as much detail as possible to prevent the need for more contact so they can solve the issue right away.

Community moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) Saturday and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7pm (EDT) and strive to answer within the hour, but in peak periods could be up to 48 hours. Please be patient

More about contacting moderator team Click Here

Need Help? Let's chat.