cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data roaming Add-on

scherevko
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) add-on, went through the two-step process, and the add-on shows Active status in Add-on Usage screen. I also checked the APN settings, and they look correct, and data works fine in Canada.

However I spent this weekend in US, and did not get data working. The data icon on my Nexus 6 (Android) phone showed R above - roaming.

Can this be because of any outages?

Or can this be because I have turned off Data roaming Cellular network settings as suggested in How do I enable roaming on my Android device? ?

19 REPLIES 19

gravityfed

Thanks for the quick reply, yes it does show in my add ons. And I have used the us data add on a couple of months ago and it worked perfectly.

I have tried re-booting, and suspending my sim and resuming it for being lost and found with no luck.

I have checked my apn settings and roaming and it's all good, what other options do I have? 

Many thanjs

@gravityfed

In your self service account, does the US roaming data show on your add on section?  Get an add on is a two step process.  

Here is the knowledge article on some trouble shooting for roaming data add ons:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

Maybe try re-booting your phone if you have not already....

Not sure whether that lost/stolen trick would work for this situation.  Might not hurt to try.  In your self service account, report your phone lost/stolen.  Logout.  Login in after a few mintues and report your phone found.  Re-boot your phone.  This sometimes resets your sim and your account becomes active again.  

gravityfed

Can someone help me my purchased add on of U.S data is active but not working, roaming is on and correct network selected, but still doesn't work.

Please help,

Thanks

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Hazmicmer I suggest you contact a mod to see what they can do. Next time before you buy check the Public Mobile US coverage map and see if they actully get service in the area you are heading to.

Hazmicmer

Nice so I wonder if I can get refunded?

tehowennathe

@Hazmicmer that's because Verizon and US Cellular use a different type of network then Public Mobile therefore not compatible. PM only roams with AT&T and T-mobile.  Without them in area I'm afraid you will have no service unless you end up in a t-mobile or at&t coverage area. Most Canadians think all US networks use same technology. We can only connect to GSM carriers not CDMA carriers like Verizon.

Hazmicmer

There’s no at&t in this area. A local said they use Verizon or us celluar but it still won’t connect

tehowennathe

@Hazmicmer I had that issue the first time I bought US add on. Go to your network settings and chose automatic network search or what ever it is called.  If it doesn't work try manual. Check if t-mobile or at&t pop up. If they do select one of them. If none pop up you may be in an area that doesn't get service

Hazmicmer

I purchased the us roaming bundle and cannot seem to pick up a carrier. The status says active but I cannot access it. What can I do to fix it

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@scherevko I think you just uncovered an issue with the knowledbase article.  If you haven't already, can you please trun your mobile data back ON and try again?  Let us know if that resolves it?  

@CS_Agent I think there is a bug in the step @scherevko identified above.  It's telling people to CLEAR the checkmark for data while roaming, which is the OPPOSITE of what you should be doing!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Sorry about that I thought op said he followed that link and roaming was on if course if roaming off then can't get data in usa.
Thanks Shawn
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

scherevko

Again, it is funny that those steps are listed under 11. How do I enable roaming on my Android device? topic in explaining US roaming add-on, don't you think?

@scherevko I think by default, roaming is enabled on all phones unless you manually turn it off. The check mark is supposed to be on for android, or slider is to the right (you see green) on iOS. Those steps that you have listed are to disable roaming 

scherevko

I just followed the instructions in (although was suspicious): 

11. How do I enable roaming on my Android device?

• Remove the check mark by the Data Roaming option.
  • On some phones, the option is titled Global Data Roaming Access. Choose it and then choose the Deny Data Roaming Access option.

@Samianauman @scherevko, this will not be an issue to contact the mods about.  If you have your Cellular Data roaming turned off you will not receive data while you are in the US even if you have purchased the data addon.  You have basically told your phone to not allow to use data while you are roaming.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@scherevko, if you have data roaming turned off on your phone that will be the reason you didn't receive your data while in the US.  With PM you can leave data roaming turned on because you won't ever be charged data roaming because it is a prepaid service so if you haven't bought it you won't get it.

Sorry you had this issue while you were away but now you will know for your next visit to make sure your data roaming is turned on.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Then definitely send a msg to mod dept since you mentioned all this and also 2 step purchasing process as well.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

scherevko

Yes, I did some tricks that I found here in Community: rebooted phone, extracted and re-inserted my sim-card, turned off and the on data service. Did not help.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Did you tried rebooting your phone.
Contact mod to investigate further
Contact any moderator by private message to help you with the process.
In your private message the following info
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation

Here is the link for how to contact moderators http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updiated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

What you do click on link the webpage will open. You will see a mod team click on any name then scroll down all the way and click on send a private msg then explain your problem
Thanks"

Need Help? Let's chat.