cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US cellular connection

Bobster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in a border town. How do I prevent connecting to a US cellular network inadvertently and still have roaming in Canada?

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bobster as @Anonymous mentioned, it's not a big deal, but just wanted you to be aware.  Solutions received are a partial factor in the monthly community rewards, so we like to see the person most helpful (or quickest to be most helpful, in the event of several helpful responses) get the credit.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bobster wrote:

my bad ... first time user and didn't realize that I was accepting my comments as the solution. Have tried to do as you suggested but don't see how to do that (ie. uncheck my response and choose his).. Can you advise?

The 3 dots menu upper right of each post. But it got changed for you.

Don't worry too much about it though. I'm guessing you have experience with other forums and maybe thought this was a way to "close" a thread.

Bobster

my bad ... first time user and didn't realize that I was accepting my comments as the solution. Have tried to do as you suggested but don't see how to do that (ie. uncheck my response and choose his).. Can you advise?

srlawren

Thanks, @computergeek541 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

solution adjusted to reflect that preventing the phone from switching networks can be accomplished with manual network selection

srlawren

@Bobster in general, unless you've solved your own problem without any helpful replies, it is considered bad etiquette in the community to select your own reply as the solution.  I would recommend you please un-mark your own response as solution, and choose one of @Jb456's replies, as he has actually provided you the solution.  Thank you!

Bobster

Thanks to all for the input. My previous provider had a US roaming block they could activate so was accustomed to that. Unless PM can add that feature, I'll need to select PM manually when home so phone is connected to PM network and receiving/making calls. Then need to go automatic when travelling in Canada so that can connect to other Cdn networks where PM signal weak.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bobster  Public doesn't charge any roaming charges they are strictly a prepaid provider do it either works or it doesn't. To avoid connecting to US towers best to manually connect to Public's network as previously suggested.

@computergeek541  I've experienced this first hand were I go in the country. Family is like 5 km from border deep in the woods away from the little town where the PM tower is. Outside I'll get 1,2 sometimes 3 bars if I am lucky. 

Going inside 1 bar which sometimes drops the connection.  Since my phone is on search automatic. Went PM drops it switches to ATT automatically with 4 or 5 bars.

It's annoying as when you're not paying attention and looking at your phone you think you're still connected to PM and wondering why your not getting a reply from a text or messenger that you were in mid convo in. Lol.

Happens sometimes outside to but less a bit as it's usually a steady connection.

Only solution I found was to turn off automatic and select PM network manual when I'm there. So if signal drops eventually it will reconnect to PM.

It's unfortunate to because I can't refer them to PM. As only Bell works in there house. 

@kb_mv wrote:

@Bobster I would think that unless you bought a US roaming add on, your phone will not work on the US towers.

I think that's exactly what the issue is and why the member is asking. Even a customer doesn't have a roaming add-on, that would not prevent the phone frrom connecting to a roaming network. If that happens, the customer would be without service, except for incoming text messages and 9-11 service.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Bobster wrote:

I live in a border town. How do I prevent connecting to a US cellular network inadvertently and still have roaming in Canada?

Public Mobile is a prepaid cell provider so you never have to worry about getting billed later, for roaming or anything else. If you didn't prepay...you don't have. If you do want to use it while in US, you'd need the 10 Day US talk/text/data roaming option....but you need to prepay first.

Follow the suggestion above by @Jb456  and just manually select PM.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

To add to my first post .

Screenshot_20200524_173735.jpg

You turn it off and then select public mobile manually once phone is done searching.

Screenshot_20200524_173757.jpg

I have family a few KM from border and I always do it this way when I go down there as it randomly connects to att (even though there are no roaming charges, etc with public mobile) it's just annoying. Then you get the text from public mobile...where I go sometimes in house I loose PM network then it connects to Att.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Bobster I would think that unless you bought a US roaming add on, your phone will not work on the US towers.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Change your mobile network settings from automatic to manual and simply connect to the PM network.

Need Help? Let's chat.