cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add-on with expired plan? & letting plan expire

KH89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm going to the States tomorrow until June 1st, and my current plan expires May 28th. I have had auto-renew up until now, but I took that off because I want my plan to expire (more on that below). However, if I do a US add-on, will that also cease to function on May 28th when my regular plan expires?

I'm going to Mexico for a year after that, which is why I don't want to be paying $35 a month for something I'm not using. If I understand correctly, if I want to keep my number, I can change my plan to the basic lowest $10/month plan but only renew it every three months. Correct? So since I do not have auto-pay on anymore, my plan will simply expire on the 28th, and then I can change the plan to the $10 plan but not pay anything until three months later, when I pay for the plan and then leave it for another 3 months. Is that correct?

5 REPLIES 5

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KH89 seems like you have a nice plan in place, lol.  Just want to make sure you understand a few things.

Regarding your first paragraph.  You took off auto pay and your base/main plan payment is expected on the 28th.  If you don't make that payment on the 28th then your account won't expire, it'll just go in suspension.  I suggest apply the add-on prior to that date (recommend the 26th just to give yourself a buffer), so that the system will ask you to pay for just the add-on service.  If you wait until after the 28th to apply the add-on, I believe the system will ask that you pay for both the base plan and the add-on at the same time.  However, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, if you do not make your base plan payment on the 28th, then your service will go in suspension mode and you won't be able to use your add-on anyways.  Possibly at the end of the day, you'll need to make a payment towards your base plan in order for you to use your add-on (even if you did purchase the add-on prior to the 28th).

Regarding your second paragraph, yes $10 a month but then paid every 3 months keeps your phone number alive.  Only thing I don't know is this: although you might delay payments to every 3 months, I'm not sure if you are expected to pay all the months regardless of whether you wait 3 months.  Some providers (i.e. the BIG 3) even if your cell service is on suspension, you're still expected to make the base plan monthly payments, they just keep rollign forward to each month, so if you wait 3 months then you'll just be paying a larger bill (i.e. $30 every 3 months).  Not sure if PM operates that way.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just a point of clarification, you have 90 days from when your plan expires. So if you renew on a 10$ plan you have 120 days 30 (from renewal), and 90 suspended

I always find this a good read.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

edit: I would renew areoud day 85 or 90 just incase you run into issues or incase you taste a couple to many tequilas on day 89 🙂

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@KH89 wrote:

I'm going to the States tomorrow until June 1st, and my current plan expires May 28th. I have had auto-renew up until now, but I took that off because I want my plan to expire (more on that below). However, if I do a US add-on, will that also cease to function on May 28th when my regular plan expires?

Yes the US add-on will not function on the 29th. Why don't you do a plan change to the $10 plan on your next renewal. You don't need AUtoPay just make sure you have $10.00 in your account balance to cover the plan change. That will cover you for the next 30 days and then it will get suspended. That way your us add-on will work for the entire 10 days.

I'm going to Mexico for a year after that, which is why I don't want to be paying $35 a month for something I'm not using. If I understand correctly, if I want to keep my number, I can change my plan to the basic lowest $10/month plan but only renew it every three months. Correct?

Yes.

So since I do not have auto-pay on anymore, my plan will simply expire on the 28th + 30 days, and then I can change the plan to the $10 plan but not pay anything until renew three months later, when I pay for the plan and then leave it for another 3 months. Is that correct?

Yes. (See above recommendation)

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@KH89 wrote:

I'm going to Mexico for a year after that, which is why I don't want to be paying $35 a month for something I'm not using. If I understand correctly, if I want to keep my number, I can change my plan to the basic lowest $10/month plan but only renew it every three months. Correct? So since I do not have auto-pay on anymore, my plan will simply expire on the 28th, and then I can change the plan to the $10 plan but not pay anything until three months later, when I pay for the plan and then leave it for another 3 months. Is that correct?

From what I understand so long as you have an active plan your add-ons will work.  But if you suspend your account then the add-on will also expire.  However, if you switch to the $10 plan on renewal then there shouldn't be an issue.  Yes you will keep your number so long as you pay before the 90 days after suspension are up.  However, if you change your plan to $10, then when you decide to re-activate upon returning, you can only select from the posted plans available at that time. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

To have the 10 day US Roaming Add-on, you need to have a current and active plan. If the existing plan expires, so will the add-on.

Your strategy for keeping your current number is correct. Get the $10 plan but make sure to reup BEFORE 90 days...(NOT 3 months)...say 88 days to be safe.

Need Help? Let's chat.