cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add-on renewal timing

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Going to the US for a few weeks, and I plan to use PM for roaming.  Plan to buy the 10 day talk/text/data on Jan 10th (we leave that day), so if I understand correctly, it will expire at midnight (Eastern Time?) on Jan 19th.  Can I buy another add-on the morning of January 20th (as early as 00:05 on January 20th) or do I have to wait another 24 hours?  It doesn't make sense to have to wait 24 hours but some of the posts in Community seem to imply that!

Hopefully one of the special offers to ring in the New Year is the special $60 US plan 🙂 or some sort of improvement to Public Mobile US roaming offerings! 

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chad2001 

Thanks for the update. Yes. I had the same observation (well...not exact time). Perhaps along with fixing the day after texting bug they made this 10 day thing make more sense.

PM is kinda slow at updating information places. But the community can make all this known to inquiring minds.

I just neglected to see about the re-purchase thing. I was too focused on the fact that it seemed to be working properly and then the company announced that they had fixed the bug in that meantime.

So we all look forward to your (or others) observations around any re-purchase delay now beyond an hour. Maybe that's still midnight ET 🙂

chad2001

So this is what I have observed so far.

US Roaming purchased at 11:54:40 AM on Jan 19th expires at 11:54 AM on Jan 29th.

After expiration, no outgoing/incomng calls, data, or text would work (as expected).

An hour after expiration, purchase option for the same roaming package was still not visible.  I had to send the Moderator Team a message again.  They did respond quickly though.

I won’t be able to test exactly when the same roaming option would be visible again until my last add on in March, as I do need to request a moderator to add for me right after one expires.  

The knowledge base link @Luddite included earlier seems to contain incorrect and conflicting information.  The top part says expiration at midnight 10 days later.  It’s actually 10 days later from time of purchase:  my purchase date was Jan 19, 1 day later would be Jan 20th, and 10th day later is Jan 29th.  Later in the same article, it seems to imply day 1 is day of purchase, and day 10 at 11:59 pm ET is expiration.  In my example it would mean 11:59 PM Jan 28.  I can confirm that is not the case, as this morning my service was still in place until 11:54 AM ET.

Hope that helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chad2001 wrote:

xxxxx.  What happened to my last post!  Lol

I’ll be here for a few more weeks so will need to buy a few more add-on

So this is great. Right now you can test these things while there. I had already arrived home.

Things should work up until your 11:54 ET according to these new observations.

Then they should stop for outgoing. It would be interesting to know if incoming calls and texts might still work after add-on expiry. Although that's not quite the same as newly arriving in the US.

It would then be interesting if shortly after expiry that you might see the same add-on available in the add-on list. It shouldn't be visible now.

chad2001

Shiiitt.  What happened to my last post!  Lol

I’ll be here for a few more weeks so will need to buy a few more add-on

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chad2001 

So you were another victim of the darlicious poof the magic dragon disappearing post.

If you're still in the US then keep testing it for this half hour and keep looking at your self-serve add-ons.

We'd also be interested to know if you can re-purchase the same add-on shortly after that. You don't have to buy it. Just look for it. I forgot to try that.

chad2001

@darlicious  I’m testing this myself.  So...The add-on was purchased at 11:54 AM on Jan 19.  Most of us had thought that it would expire at 11:59 PM on Jan 28.  Carlos, a Moderator said it would expire at 11:54 AM on Jan 29.  So far as of 8:00 AM this morning, I can confirm the service is still on.  

504F3FC3-1608-47C3-8038-ED6E0F91F284.jpeg

Regarding the PM “official” document link @Luddite attached, I find it not very clear either.  At the top it says expiration at midnight  “10 days later”, which to me, in my case would mean at 11:59 PM on Jan 29th (as “one day later” would be Jan 20th).  But then right below in the same article, it states the purchase date as day One, expiration at midnight on day Ten.

Anyway, now I’m waiting to confirm whether it expires 10 days later from time of purchase, or 10 days later at 11:59 pm regardless of time of purchase.

If any Moderator is reading this, can you update this knowledge base article?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883

@Luddite  Thanks for clarifying I was a little surprised by this news. @chad2001  When you have  some down time a message to your moderator correcting the misinformation would be great.

@darlicious @chad2001 Several moderators are still learning the details of PM's operation. The current official stance is that US roaming add-ons expire at 11:59 pm ET on the 10th day. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@chad2001  Well that's news to many of us. I'm trying understand how no one knew of the time clock start on US roaming add ons unless this recently changed. Happily you did not wait too long for moderator assistance.

chad2001

So in talking to the Moderator Team, I found out the following:

- US roaming plan purchased on Jan 19 at 11:54:40 AM expires on Jan 29 at 11:54 AM.  This is different than the midnight expiry we had thought.

- still waiting for them to advise when I can buy another one on Jan 29 (without requiring assistance from them).  I will update when I hear back from them.

Btw, we have a phone on PM roaming, and one with RoamMobility.  In Oregon, PM coverage is much better than RoamMobility.  There are many areas in Oregon I could not get service on RM but PM had strong signal.  So far in California, they perform about the same.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The $20 plan should be available.

For 10 Days

U.S. Talk, Text and 250 MB Data bundle: $20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle: $15
U.S. Talk Only: $8
U.S. Text Only: $8
U.S. Data Only: 250MB for $10, 500MB for $15, 1GB for $20

You could try to purchase it again but if not available then submit a ticket to a moderator to add it for you.

@chad2001  I do believe this is the timing issue. It will reappear sometime today and allow you to purchase. Or wait until just after midnight eastern. You can try contacting a moderator to do it for you. Response times have been pretty reasonable lately.

chad2001

I’m here in the US and trying to renew the $20 US roaming plan.  It’s not listed as one of the add on options.  See screenshot.  Can someone check and let me know if it’s still offered or is this part of Public Mobile ongoing roaming renewal timing issues.  FYI, the first plan was purchased on Jan 9, which expires at midnight last night.  I confirm it no longer appears in the “my plan & add-on” section and my phone no longer works.  And yet it doesn’t allow me to purchase another one.  

A3E437B1-C004-48CE-8322-2CBBDB33D41D.jpeg

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@chad2001 wrote:

Going to the US for a few weeks, and I plan to use PM for roaming.  Plan to buy the 10 day talk/text/data on Jan 10th (we leave that day), so if I understand correctly, it will expire at midnight (Eastern Time?) on Jan 19th.

@chad2001  Correct.

Can I buy another add-on the morning of January 20th (as early as 00:05 on January 20th) or do I have to wait another 24 hours?  It doesn't make sense to have to wait 24 hours but some of the posts in Community seem to imply that!

Theoratically yes, but in the past other's had to wait longer to be able to purchase the same add-on. In the past, some customers add the funds to their accounts and submit a ticket to PM asking them if the moderator can setup the purchase of the 2nd, 3rd ....add-on automatically. Might be woth a shot. Smiley Happy

Hopefully one of the special offers to ring in the New Year is the special $60 US plan 🙂 or some sort of improvement to Public Mobile US roaming offerings! 

Yup!! Smiley Frustrated

chad2001

I'm not sure if moderators always reply to Community posts, but I find it very positive that they sent me a private message after I made the post "Please bring back the US plan..." at least to acknowledge that they had seen, appreciated and would pass on the feedback.  Fingers crossed, indeed!

buiya
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chad2001 wrote:

It would be Chrismas number 2 if that happened!!! fingers crossed!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Yes you understand right. Eastern time!

You will be able to buy a new roaming plan on 20th.

Two steps to buy an add-on. Guide on link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/td-p/198974

Check announcement section for any updates to plans,etc.

Have a great trip!

Need Help? Let's chat.