cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Text

Bmilette
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Despite subscribing to the US voice and texting plan, my wife and I receive a text saying we are not covered for US texting. Despite the warning the TXts seem ro through. comments/suggesrions?

13 REPLIES 13

For US prepaid options, one option ive used for a decade: roammobility.com. Prices are in canadian dollars, and there are monthly options. They will mail you the sim.

Otherwise there's a plethora of US prepaid sims on amazon, AT&T etc too.

Bmilette

I am text competent though probably not savvy. I do not read fine, very fine print ever so I guess the error is mine. I live by "if it's to good to be true, it is!" so I should have known better especially when dealing with Canada's big 3 comm services.

While researching Public, I bumped into a Public marketing rep at my local Walmart who seemed to understand my requirements and left me with the impression that I could get what I needed at Public (at that time the $60 option was still offered in the brochure but not online). The confusion started when I was in FLA in Nov and tested public with a low end plan and appropriate add-on's - worked perfectly. Not reading and not understanding US calling restrictions, led to my problem.

Thanks to everyone for the commentaries. I guess I need to start my research for a solution for next year!

@wetcoaster  I like suggesting TEXTNOW because many elders are not technically inclined with apps such as WhatsApp, messenger, Skype, etc. 

So if I was the one posting on the forums asking for a cheap easy solution while I'm in USA to text or call back to Canada and I'm told oh get WhatsApp you'll be fine.

Yes correct I'll be fine! However what about the people (such as elders) that want to contact me. Then I'd have to explain to them download this and do that blah blah blah....were it's easier for me to just get TEXTNOW and get a new phone number and tell everyone I'm out of the country so call or text this number to reach me. 

Then everyone, be it tech savvy or an elder with only a old flip phone or landline could reach me.

@srlawren wrote:

@Bmilette you definitely misunderstood.  The naming of "Talk Canada & US" is indeed a bit misleading. I think it used to say something like "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and to the US" or something to that effect, which was still potentially confusing but less so.  Sad they've gone with "Talk Canada & US".  They did however add a little "footnote" number of 5, and when you click the Offer Details button and look at note 5, it says:

"5 - Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US."

I've bolded the end bits as they reasonably clearly call this out.  Particularly the last sentence.

That said: using the 10-day roaming add-ons for snowbirding would be pretty painful & expensive.  Honestly, in your shoes, I'd consider shopping for a plan at another provider which actually includes US roaming.  (That said, always dig and make sure you understand what the plan does and doesn't include, and ask questions to clarify before choosing it and traveling!)

The other option would be to keep watching the Announcements are to see if PM ever brings back the $60 plan.  It was offered for a brief period this past summer (2019), and includeded unlimited talk and texting while you're in Canada OR the USA, and a small (I think around 2GB?) bucket of US Roaming data.  Unfortunately, you would have had to get on that plan while it was offered in the summer and stay on it (grandfathered) to have it now.  So, if you see them offer it up again this coming spring or summer, you may want to jump on it.  It sounds expensive, but it will save you a bunch of 10-day add-on cost and hassle when you're in the USA.

EDIT: sorry I jumped in too quickly on this and just now realized you're talking about texting.  Yes the "International texting" has confused many, many people.  It sounds like you should be able to go to anywhere with a cell signal in <insert your favourite global country name here> and send and receive texts.  Unfortuantely, that's not the case.  It means while you're in Canada, you can send and receive texts to people whom are all over the world.  I do wish this was clearer too!

That said, the other advice I gave above still applies:  I'd strongly consider looking for a plan elsewhere that includes roaming as it will probably save you money and hassle in the long run.  OR, see if PM ever re-introduces the $60 plan including US roaming and jump on it.

Or, depending on your needs, get a US prepaid plan (AT&T springs to mind) and connect with your Canadian friends and relatives via messenger / VOIP apps (TextNow seems to be popular with some people here, Skype is still around, WhatsApp has call features, etc...)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bmilette you definitely misunderstood.  The naming of "Talk Canada & US" is indeed a bit misleading. I think it used to say something like "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and to the US" or something to that effect, which was still potentially confusing but less so.  Sad they've gone with "Talk Canada & US".  They did however add a little "footnote" number of 5, and when you click the Offer Details button and look at note 5, it says:

"5 - Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US."

I've bolded the end bits as they reasonably clearly call this out.  Particularly the last sentence.

That said: using the 10-day roaming add-ons for snowbirding would be pretty painful & expensive.  Honestly, in your shoes, I'd consider shopping for a plan at another provider which actually includes US roaming.  (That said, always dig and make sure you understand what the plan does and doesn't include, and ask questions to clarify before choosing it and traveling!)

The other option would be to keep watching the Announcements are to see if PM ever brings back the $60 plan.  It was offered for a brief period this past summer (2019), and includeded unlimited talk and texting while you're in Canada OR the USA, and a small (I think around 2GB?) bucket of US Roaming data.  Unfortunately, you would have had to get on that plan while it was offered in the summer and stay on it (grandfathered) to have it now.  So, if you see them offer it up again this coming spring or summer, you may want to jump on it.  It sounds expensive, but it will save you a bunch of 10-day add-on cost and hassle when you're in the USA.

EDIT: sorry I jumped in too quickly on this and just now realized you're talking about texting.  Yes the "International texting" has confused many, many people.  It sounds like you should be able to go to anywhere with a cell signal in <insert your favourite global country name here> and send and receive texts.  Unfortuantely, that's not the case.  It means while you're in Canada, you can send and receive texts to people whom are all over the world.  I do wish this was clearer too!

That said, the other advice I gave above still applies:  I'd strongly consider looking for a plan elsewhere that includes roaming as it will probably save you money and hassle in the long run.  OR, see if PM ever re-introduces the $60 plan including US roaming and jump on it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bmilette

I think I now understand US Calling and Texting. As a snowbird, I purchased the top plan ($$50) to use my phone while in the US. The plan naratives implies but does not clearly state, that calling in the US and to Canada is covered. It does not work that way without acquiring the 10 day US roaming add on. The plan mistake is double because my wife also purchased the $50 plan. 

I never needed the generous data allocation so overall I've wasted $50. Going forward, I'll subscribe to the entry level plan while in the US and add the 10 day US roaming options contiguously during my stay. When I return to Ontario, I'll purchase a mid range plan that will cover my requirements. 

I hope this usage will satisfy my needs.

Thanks.  Didn't know that.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Bmilette wrote:

Despite subscribing to the US voice and texting plan, my wife and I receive a text saying we are not covered for US texting. Despite the warning the TXts seem ro through. comments/suggesrions?

Other than incoming texts (which are free to receive), you will need to purchase one of the 10 day US Roaming add-ons to be able to use your phone service while in USA.

As others mention, the purchase of add-ons is a 2 step process.
- First add the funds to yoru account
- Then purchase the desired add-on(s).
You will know the purchase is confirmed once you see the add-on under "My Data and add-ons" and the amount has been taken from your available funds.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Bmilette 

Probably a standard automated text message whenever a customer enters the USA.  

As long as you bought the right roaming US roaming package and your texts and talk are working, I would not worry about it.  

@gblackma wrote:

@Bmilette wrote:

Don't understand this.  I was under the impression that we had unlimited international texting.  Which would include the US.

@gblackma yes you do while in Canada. If you travel to USA you would need to purchase a USA addon.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

So you purchase a USA add-on. Did you do both steps to buy the addon? As it is a two step process.

Link below is two step guide for purchasing add-ons.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/td-p/198974

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Do you mean talk and texting while in the US ?

Log into your self serve account and under data and add-ons make sure roaming is showing.  If everything is working then just ignore the text.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Bmilette wrote:

Don't understand this.  I was under the impression that we had unlimited international texting.  Which would include the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.