cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming not working

etniopal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Help!

I’m travelling by car and since I crossed the border I get ‘No service’ so it seems my phone can’t connect to the US partner. I tried manually selecting at&t and t-mobile without success. Resetting my settings and the phone didn’t help either. I have an iPhone SE...

I have bought and verified the us roaming bundle has been added to my account. It’s frustrating to pay for something that doesn’t work :(.

56 REPLIES 56

Raves
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will do. The service through public mobile is just horrible. As a Telus company you would expect the US roaming to work and have access to customer service. Although the participants in the forum are trying to help, the suggestions are not working and nobody from public mobile provides help.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Raves 

Do not post any of the information the CSA just asked you for in the public forum do the so only in your private messages to the CSA.

@CS_Agent  Osvaldo

You should only be asking for this information in private messages with the customer. If you do post this information on the public mobile community for them you need to put a warning in bold and red warning the customer to not post it in the community.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@Raves- Yes, roaming worked perfectly even just this past winter. But now it's very bad. Particularly for talk. Connect to T-Mobile and you have a better chance of being able to talk. Data and text should work fine though.

Raves

I have enabled roaming but still no service.

Raves

I am having the same issue and nowhere to contact or help. US roaming worked 2 years ago when I was in Arizona but not in NY.

griffy1972

I had the same issue on my Android phone. I had roaming on, did restart multiple times, was connected to T-Mobile etc etc. I eventually realized under the network mode settings my phone had the "WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)" setting on, not LTE. Because my display setting is on dark mode you could not see the other options. I randomly swiped and the LTE appeared and USA data is now working. Thought I would post in case this helps someone using dark mode on display and is missing the LTE setting. Cheers

@yogitanjali 

Contact the moderators and explain your situation. They may issue you a credit for being unable go use your roaming add on. Response times have been less than an hour of late so keep an eye on your private message box for a reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yogitanjali : Wow. That is some lousy events. Very sorry for your sudden loss.
So you did get roaming 2 years ago. Are you aware that buying roaming add-ons is only for a limited time?
If you did buy another roaming add-on then yes, you need to connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T. Perhaps your phone is set on manual connecting only to this place.

@yogitanjali  sorry to hear what you have gone through and your lost.  

I understand your frustration, especially in situation like this. 

For future reference, PM uses T-Mobile and AT&T.  I remember L.A. is one of the city that one network works better than the other one (but I forgot which one) , you might have to manually switch network. from one to another instead of relying on Automatic

Not sure why you can't use Wifi in the airport.  That would be a phone issue instead of PM roaming.  Your phone should be able to use Wifi for Uber or other app regardless you have carrier service or not.

And honest, PM roaming is not the most convenient to use.  But even with other provider, it might be easier to activate romaing, still it is expensive.    I always suggest to get a local SIM instead of using roaming, easier and cheaper

Again, I am sorry for your lost. 

yogitanjali

I paid for U.S roaming which worked without issue in 2019.  Had to make an emergency trip to the U.S ( California) on March 22, 2021 and ended up being stuck in L.A transport without the ability to access a network. It indicated the carrier but no service.  I ended up being stuck without access to service so couldn't contact Uber or Lyft and could not access wifi.  Had to take a taxi for 160 American to my destination.

Phone continued to not work, checked all settings 

tried to contact Public Mobile, wrote to moderator and never received response ( 2x)

Had to purchase burner phone for 35 dollars and another 35 for a plan in California

I had to stay in California returning June 26th and was charged for Roaming 

Very very frustrated, was there for my father's sudden passing and subsequently my mother's a few days later.  unable to use my phone during this emergency

I will change carriers but wanted to inform of this distressing situation

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlos_benesdra wrote:

Already took all those steps. It is not the first time that I am buying add on. It was working until expired. I renewed it and it stop working

Well your first post didn't have a lot to go on.

Yes...it's crazy. You can't stack the same named roaming add-on. And there's some kind of time frame to have to be without service to re-buy. When exactly did you buy it first? You can see that in your Payment history in the self-serve (not your payment card).

You can use TextNow in between when on wifi.

@carlos_benesdra   You should contact moderators either via the chatbot bubble bottom right of this screen or by clicking the envelope icon top right next to your avatar and send the Moderator_Team a private message. 

carlos_benesdra

Where does it say that? I was away at the street driving a car. I cannot be left without a phone

carlos_benesdra

I try to call and get the message "not signal". I have two phones (one android and one Iphone) both with the same problem. I have renewed the US roaming for both accounts and they are not working after the first period of 10 days expired

@carlos_benesdra wrote:

This is crazy. I bought the add on for the roaming in the USA before it expired. Now I am left without a phone

@carlos_benesdra   I believe you're not supposed to buy the same add-on before it expires, in fact it's advised to wait several hours after it expires before purchasing the same add-on.

carlos_benesdra

I have rebooted my phone several times

@carlos_benesdra wrote:

Already took all those steps. It is not the first time that I am buying add on. It was working until expired. I renewed it and it stop working

@carlos_benesdra   Have you tried rebooting your phone, sometimes that does the trick?

carlos_benesdra

This is crazy. I bought the add on for the roaming in the USA before it expired. Now I am left without a phone

carlos_benesdra

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlos_benesdra wrote:

I have tried everything explained by the robot and still is not working

@carlos_benesdra 

Buying add-ons is a non-intuitive two step process. Add money, buy add-on. It seems like you buy it but all you're doing is adding money. Go back and buy it again.

Then set your networks to auto or manually scan for and find either AT&T or T-Mobile and select one.

For data you'll need to turn on roaming.

carlos_benesdra

I have tried everything explained by the robot and still is not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaminbroughton :

UP to 48 hours. Usually within an hour or two.
But really, how often do you need any assistance? I hardly ever do. So when I do, I can wait. A little.

As for the roaming, there's a goofy thing around being able re-buy the same named add-on. The add-on starts immediately and then 10 - 24 hour periods after is where the goofiness is. Do we need to wait overnight? Is it even overnight of the next night? I can never seem to get a straight answer from customers asking about it.
Where are you at with the 10 days?

jaminbroughton

yes i also bought us roaming it worked first 10 days then when i added another 10 days nothing and I'm in the exact same condo it is some sort of error in there system but the worst part is you have to wait 48 hour to get a reply and by the sounds of the cummunity that does not happen very often lots of time there is no call or email from them but they are good at getting your money 

jaminbroughton

mine isn't working either and is it true it takes 48 hours for a real person to get support this seems crazy  new customer was loving it until i needed customer support now i feel like an idiot for switching over 

MKThailand

I've done everything. My mobile data is on. I've restarted my phone. Still getting messages that  my unlimited texting/calling and some data roaming in the USA is not working. 

etniopal

@FBR No there’s no sticker on the SIM card.

FBR

@etniopal wrote:

Great idea!

The problem follows the SIM card so it’s not a phone problem.

@etniopal  do you have a third party sim sticker on your PM sim, e.g. knowroaming ?

My wife had the same issue with USA data roaming add-on as you. Only after she returned to Canada that I remembered she had a knowroaming sticker on her PM sim card that might be causing the issue.

Unfortunately I can only get a confirmation of this theory next time in USA with the sticker removed.

Hope this helps.

FBR

@etniopal wrote:

Great idea!

The problem follows the SIM card so it’s not a phone problem.

@etniopal wrote:

I’m on a data, unlimited text and unlimited prov talk.

My wife’s phone connects no problem to t-mobile (iPhone 6s) so at this point we’re thinking of just forking another 20$ on her account... hopefully I can get refunded on my account since it’s not working.

Please be aware...you can't reup your roaming in USA plan until your existing roaming in USA plan has expired. As a matter of fact, it could even take a day or two after it's expired before you can reup again. Just FYI.

Need Help? Let's chat.