cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day)

henrique03ch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a 1Gb LTE data plan and need an add-on to receive some messages here in Canada, but the only one appearing to me is US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day).

Would it also work in Canada?

9 REPLIES 9

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In the interest of giving you an option that lets you keep your plan: try the TextNow app. It's free and works over mobile data or WiFi. You'd get a separate number within the app, but since you have a data-only plan, I'm thinking the number attached to the plan maybe doesn't matter so much?

Anyways, it's an option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@henrique03ch wrote:

The guy that sold me the sim card and configured the plan told me I could receive sms, just not send it =(

That's malicious because now I need the messages to active some stuff like bank app and other apps.

I doubt it was malicious. Just ignorance.

The policy says that talk is required in your base plan to buy roaming add-ons. But some have said that to be not entirely true.

If you were to buy the text add-on and got close to the US and scanned for and connected to AT&T or T-Mobile and turned on roaming options then theoretically you should be able to do texting via the texting roaming add-on.

The suggestion of having a texting add-on has long since been talked about many times here. Still not.

henrique03ch

The guy that sold me the sim card and configured the plan told me I could receive sms, just not send it =(

That's malicious because now I need the messages to active some stuff like bank app and other apps.

@henrique03ch

You are right.  If you change plans, you will need to pay for new plan full cost.  Public mobile does not pro-rate plans since it is prepaid.  

If you are unable to use this present plan, you could try to contact moderator to see whether they can change plans.  Explain your situation and ask nicely.  No guarantees though.  However, moderator wait times are 2-3 days.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

henrique03ch

I can't believe it. I just bought the sim-card today and signed up for this plan. If I switch it I probably would loose my benefits and have to pay for the new plan already =/

@henrique03ch

If you lose the Canadian tower signal near the border, you will not be able to use American towers unless you buy a US data add on (from my understanding).

The data only plan is fairly limited with Public Mobile.  You can only use data.  No add on for talk or text within Canada.  You could use a texting or phone app (fongo, whatsapp) that uses data to text or call within Canada.  

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

There is no option to only add texting in Canada. Your best option would be to switch your plan, you can select to build your own plan with unlimited Province-wide talk, unlimited international text and 1GB LTE data for $42/30 days.

henrique03ch

Omg, this is so weird =( There should be an option for this, it's so basic

Alright, I live in Windsor, which is devided of Detroit by the river. If I get to the river and the cellphone enters in roaming it means the I could use this plan in this situation, right?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@henrique03ch unfortunately, no.  There are no add-ons for texting within Canada--in order to send or receive texts in Canada, texting must be a part of your plan.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.