cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming + Data

Jemez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm reading about some issues with purchasing multiple plans for US roaming. I'm going to be in the US for a week, and know 250M data won't be enough (need talk/text though). If I simply purchase a talks+text+250M data AND a 1Gig data before I leave will it just transition automatically to the 1G data when the 250M is used up? I assume so but just wanted to check before leaving. Then if I use up the 1Gig, I need to purchase a smaller size to have it work?

Is that correct? Last time I went to US it was only 2 days and 250M was enough.

6 REPLIES 6

alexanderdunn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Problems with US data and roaming plan on an iPhone 7. In the midst of usage - no data, My account says there is plenty left. Of course it happenend at critical times driving and needing GPS directions. Incredibly frustrating.

Jemez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

@Jemez I've never tried that particular combination, but I *believe* the US Roaming Data add-ons do stack okay.  

Are you sure you will need more than 1GB for the week?  If not, you may want to consier saving yourself $5 and just buy the US Roaming Talk + Text bundle for $15 and then separately also purchase the $20 US Roaming 1GB Data add-on.  EDIT: this particular combination I can vouch for, and have used on more than 1 occasion in the past without issue.

Thanks, this actually seems like a good option. Then if I run out (unlikely) I can top up with another 500M.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping wrote:

Yes.  You can purchase more than one US roaming plan to meet your need.

@Jemez with one important note:  do NOT re-purchase the bundle or separate US Roaming Talk or US Roaming Text add-on(s) while you still have active US Roaming Talk and US Roaming Texting add-on(s).  If these get duplicated, it causes the service to fail--texts will not go through if you have two US Roaming Texting add-ons active at the same time, and calls will drop in under 1 min if you have two US Roaming Talk add-ons active at the same time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anna_M
Customer Support Agent

Hello @Jemez,

Thanks for reaching out!

For the add-ons you can definitely add a data only add-on to your first talk/text+data one, after the 250 MB are up it will start to take it out of the 1 GB add-on. If these 2 are up data wise you can still purchase more on your Self Serve account(it can still be the 1 GB one).

My advice is to put them on the plan the day you start your travel before leaving Canada just to be sure all is good with the timing since they do expire 10 days from the day they were purchased.

If you want any more info on Roaming to the US you can also access the link below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883?advanced=false...

Have a great trip! 😄

Anna,
Public Mobile Moderator

popping

@Jemez wrote:

I'm reading about some issues with purchasing multiple plans for US roaming. I'm going to be in the US for a week, and know 250M data won't be enough (need talk/text though). If I simply purchase a talks+text+250M data AND a 1Gig data before I leave will it just transition automatically to the 1G data when the 250M is used up? I assume so but just wanted to check before leaving. Then if I use up the 1Gig, I need to purchase a smaller size to have it work?

Is that correct? Last time I went to US it was only 2 days and 250M was enough.

Yes.  You cannot puchase the same US roaming plan until it is one day after it was expired.

Yes.  You can purchase more than one US roaming plan to meet your need.

Please note that US roaming plan starts right away for 10 days.  If you purchase at 9 pm, it will be counted as 1 day even you have 3 hours to use it.

srlawren

@Jemez I've never tried that particular combination, but I *believe* the US Roaming Data add-ons do stack okay.  

Are you sure you will need more than 1GB for the week?  If not, you may want to consier saving yourself $5 and just buy the US Roaming Talk + Text bundle for $15 and then separately also purchase the $20 US Roaming 1GB Data add-on.  EDIT: this particular combination I can vouch for, and have used on more than 1 occasion in the past without issue.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.