cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Coverage & Roaming (pre-sales question)

melissajclark
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi! I'm considering switching to Public Mobile. Before I do, I want to understand how the US coverage works.

I selected the "Canada Wide and to the US" coverage. Does this work when I am in the USA? Or is this just calling the USA from Canada?

If this doesn't apply when you are in the USA, how do the roaming charges work? Do I need to pay another $20 for 1 GB in the USA?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2017-12-12 20.52.38.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@koimr1 while I agree with almost everything you said, there's a catch:  with PM, you can only forward your calls to another Canadian phone number, you CANNOT forward it to a US-based number, no matter your calling plan or add-ons. 

Oh wow, good catch - I never even thought about that! 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mike613 , please see my answers below.

1. There is NO pay as you go with Public Mobile.  EVERYTHING is pre-paid.  You buy it, you get it.  You dont' buy it, you don't get it.

2. In the USA, you can receive text messages without requiring any add-ons.  You will not be able to reply, however.

3. I'm not sure, I don't ever receive text messages about voice mail.  I think you still get a voicemail notification, but they're not over text.

4. You will never get a text message from PM that you missed a call.  They don't do that.  I'm guessing you're with Fido or Rogers, currently?  (Based on this question and the one before it.).  

5. Yes.  Inbound calls go right to your voicemail, outbound calls do not go through.  (Unless of coure you purchase a US Roaming Talk add-on or one of the bundles that includes it.)

6. Yes, that works from any phone anywhere with a signal, by law.

7. I've heard mixed things about this.  You'd be better to do it through your self-serve account if possible.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@koimr1 wrote:

This might not be an option for you (see next paragraph) but have you looked at using a US SIM card or even something like KnowRoaming or Roam Mobility (there's more and I'm not up on them) - that might work out to be cheaper for you if your potential PM plan costs much less than your current Fido plan.

Before leaving for the US you'd forward your calls to your US number, it's just those pesky text messages that you can't forward. Ideally a data-based messenging solution would be the best.

Anyway, good luck with however you end up going! Or staying! 🙂

@koimr1 while I agree with almost everything you said, there's a catch:  with PM, you can only forward your calls to another Canadian phone number, you CANNOT forward it to a US-based number, no matter your calling plan or add-ons.  What I suggest is signing up for a free Fongo account (iOS version, Android version) with a local phone number in your home province, and then forward your PM calls to that number before leaving Canada.  

As you said, you can't forward text messages.  The good news is that while in the USA, even without buying an US Roaming add-ons, you will still receive your incoming text messages (though not MMS I believe).  You will not be able to reply via text, but could send an email in response or move to a data-based IM app as you noted.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mike613

I am also considering switching from my current provider *****s.  I have been looking for clarification on a few things as well.  This chain has answered some of my questions. 

I am looking at setting up with the auto payment option for 90-day plan cycles.  I am looking at Canada wide calling, global texting, and either 3+3GB or 6+6GB data plan.

When I travel to the US, it is usually for a day or two.  I would like to better understand/characterize the behavior of my phone on Public Mobile without add-on options for the US. 

While in the US ith "auto payment", without US add-ons:

1.  With "auto payment", would or could "pay as you go" (even if it is a bit pricy) for calls on a per minute basis be available?

2.  Will Global texting work - receiving, sending, or both sending and receiving? 

3.  Would I receive text notifications for new voice-mail messages?

4.  Would I get any text notifications for "missed" calls?

5.  Would the phone calling cabability for receiving or initiating calls be effectively "dead"?

6.  Would 911 work for an emergency?

7.  Would 611 work to get add-ons put in place?

Thank you,

Mike

koimr1

This might not be an option for you (see next paragraph) but have you looked at using a US SIM card or even something like KnowRoaming or Roam Mobility (there's more and I'm not up on them) - that might work out to be cheaper for you if your potential PM plan costs much less than your current Fido plan.

Before leaving for the US you'd forward your calls to your US number, it's just those pesky text messages that you can't forward. Ideally a data-based messenging solution would be the best.

Anyway, good luck with however you end up going! Or staying! 🙂

melissajclark

Yeah definitely depends on your usage. I tend to use a lot of data when I travel. 1 GB for 10 days would not be enough. 

Acekiller

depends on your usage i supposed? I found PM's 10 day roaming package is quite reasonable (if your trip is actually 10 days), much better than Fido's $6/day.

melissajclark

Thank you! That answers my question.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but good to know.

I am currently with Fido and can pay $6/day in the USA to use my phone like usual. So $20 for 1 GB in the USA doesn't sound so amazing ... hmmm. 

mimmo

the usa calling is only from canada to the USA.

if you go to the USA you need to buy the USA Addons.  they are valid for 10 days from the day you purchase them.  there are several options depending on your needs.  

hope that helps

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Selecting "Canada wide and to the US" allows you to call the US while in Canada.

If you want to be able to use your phone while travelling in the US, you need to purchase an add on, such as the $20/1GB that you mentioned.

There are no "roaming charges" in the sense that other phone companies use.  Since PM is prepaid, you can't do anything that you haven't already paid for.  In other words, if you go to the US without purchasing an add-on, your phone simply won't work.  It won't let you rack up roaming charges and then charge you later on.

SD08

The "Canada Wide and to the US" package only works when you are inside canada (i.e. for calling the USA from Canada).  To get coverage when you're in the US, you will need to buy one of the US roaming add-ons, which are not considered part of your regular plan and will expire within 10 days after purchase.

Need Help? Let's chat.