cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Charges

JSax97
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in a border town to the US and travel there frequently for just a day here and there. Can I just be charged per text? I rarely use the phone when I go over, but on occasion, need to text my family. Thanks for any insight!

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSax97 wrote:

I live in a border town to the US and travel there frequently for just a day here and there. Can I just be charged per text? I rarely use the phone when I go over, but on occasion, need to text my family. Thanks for any insight!

No extra charges here.

If you stay within maybe upwards to 15km from a Telus/Bell tower then if you keep your phone manually attached to Public Mobile then you should be able to use the phone normally. If further than that then I suggest a cheap, pure pay as you go US MVNO service. Buy a SIM and put some money into the pot. Put the SIM in when in the states. Put the PM SIM back in when back to Canada. It's not your normal phone number but at least you have phone service.

The 10 day roaming add-ons aren't really applicable to your needs so that's why I suggest the other service. Unless of course you're back and forth several times in those 10 days.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@JSax97 wrote:

@JSax97  Incoming texts should work without any add-ons while you are in the US and if you have Wi-Fi access when in the US you can use a third party app to send texts.If your phone supports two sims maybe buy a US prepaid data sim when you are down there.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I believe Koodo Prepaid has a US roaming add-on that is a per use add on and stays in effect until you use up your add-on.

eg $20 for 1000 text while roaming in US.

$20 for 250mins

I kind of wish PM would have taken this approach. Probably would have been easier to administer

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

You will not be able to send texts without a US Roaming that includes texts.

You will be able to receive texts while in the states if you have the setting for network selection on auto.

There is no pay per use options at Public Mobile.  If you are still within range of the Canadian border and towers, you may still use your PM plan as normal.

Need Help? Let's chat.