cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Calling Add-on

mtrahm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My parents have purchased the US calling add-on for their Public Mobile cell phone. It seems they are rebilled monthly for their service, but the add-on does not bill automatically when the minutes are exhausted. Does this mean that they need to re-purchase the add-on each time they exhaust their provided minutes? Also, do the minutes ever expire?

Thanks,

Rahm Family

13 REPLIES 13

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@mtrahm wrote:

My parents have purchased the US calling add-on for their Public Mobile cell phone. It seems they are rebilled monthly for their service, but the add-on does not bill automatically when the minutes are exhausted. Does this mean that they need to re-purchase the add-on each time they exhaust their provided minutes? Also, do the minutes ever expire?

Just one thing to add to what many others have already answered here (Yes, re-purchase is necessary each time, no the 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes add-on will never expire until used up) - If you are running low on minutes, you should be able to stack these add-ons, purchasing a second one before the first one runs out, to ensure you don't have a call cut-off when the last minute runs out.

For example, if you have 30 U.S. Long Distance add-on Minutes remaining, and purchase another 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes add-on, you should then see 1,030 minutes remaining in the self-serve overview page.

This is not to be confused with ROAMING add-ons, which cannot be "stacked".

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

US minutes add-on and plan are two different things. 

PM plan renews when it expires every month.

Add-on does not expires until used up and when done, it doesn't renew on its own just to prevent un-necessary renewal. 

@mtrahm 

If your parents call the US a lot and depending on their data usage one of them may find the $50/10.5gb plan attractive as it includes unlimited calling to the US from Canada. But they should only consider this plan if one or both of them are already on the $40 or possibly the $35 plans. One could bump up and the other bump down and they could hotspot data when they are together. 

ie. 2×$40/5gb plan+$15/US 1000min add on=$95 

or 1×$25/1gb plan+1×$50/10.5gb plan unlimited US calling=$75

or 1×$35/3gb plan+1×$50/10.5gb plan unlimited US calling=$85

Just something to consider.....otherwise all add ons (except 10 day US roaming add ons) are one time purchases that do not expire and roll over every 30 days until completely consumed.

@t_p 

It's bad etiquette to not indicate a significant change to your original post with an edit but we all know someone who leaves the toilet seat up, licks their dinner plate and puts the empty milk carton back in the fridge....sometimes old dogs refuse to learn new tricks as annoying as that is....😀

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@dabr @Anonymous 

I totally agree when we make small changes to correct syntaxes, typos or even for clarification.

But doing a complete rewrite without mentioning it is rather extreme.

And not good if we come back later and pick on the newbies about etiquette

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@t_p wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

US long distance add-on needs to be repurchased.  The add-on minutes remain in your account until they have been used up.

Just wondering, since I'm rather new here:

Is it proper forum etiquette to completely rewrite a post after an error was pointed out, without any mention it's an Edit?

@t_p   Of course it's not right.  However, it's not officially against any rules, just against unofficial protocol and courtesy.   Most users here will note an edit, a few, disappointingly, won't.  Personally, I don't think it's necessary to note an edit for typos or adding/removing unnecessary words.  Edit:  oops, but anything else should be noted with an edit! 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@t_p : No. But it's not like there's any rule. Just etiquette.

How about posting a reply. Then posting another reply saying something else. Then switching them around. Jeez.

Some forums will indicate in the post that it has been edited. This one does not. I pretty much always say "Edit:" on an addition or change. But that's just me. Others indicate something. The odd regular doesn't indicate anything. I think that's bad form.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy wrote:

US long distance add-on needs to be repurchased.  The add-on minutes remain in your account until they have been used up.

Just wondering, since I'm rather new here:

Is it proper forum etiquette to completely rewrite a post after an error was pointed out, without any mention it's an Edit?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@mtrahm   Yes, All Add-ons, other than those 10 days US roaming, are non expiring until fully consumed.   And good news is that add-ons are not monthly reoccurring, you can purchase when needed.   Just monitor the add-on remaining minutes on My Account, Overview Tab under My Data & Add-Ons section.  If you see it disappears from there, it means it's fully consumed.  But you don't have to buy until you need it.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@t_p wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

US roaming add-ons expire 10 days after purchase and would have to be purchased again.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

Unless I'm mistaken I think OP means the 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes, not the US roaming package.

Yup. It seems to me that OP is talking about CALLING US not roaming while in US.

But for 1000 US calling minutes one can buy multiple add-ons, correct? 5000 minutes for example.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy wrote:

US roaming add-ons expire 10 days after purchase and would have to be purchased again.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

Unless I'm mistaken I think OP means the 1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes, not the US roaming package.

@mtrahm   If your buying the exact same add on after the first one expired, you'll have to use the chat bubble at the page bottom right corner to get a ticket for help with that from the PM CS agents.

Edit

That's if they are getting the US roaming add on!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@mtrahm wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Rahm Family

@mtrahm 

The add-on needs to be bought again when needed, it's not renewed automatically. But the unused minutes will rollover at the end of each 30 days cycle until they are all used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.