cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNLIMITED TEXT/PIC MESSAGING MMS

TammyP2018
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Second question of the day - how do I ensure that my Iphone is using MMS and not data for pic messages. I know with my moms Iphone with Telus (with no data and unlimited MMS), I had to get the Tech team to "flip a switch" to make this work. Reading through a bunch of message boards, it appears I have to "flip the switch" on my phone by looking at the APN (which doesn't show or give me the ability to do anything).

I switched to the $15 plan and would prefer to have data blocked altogether on if possible.

Is this something I can do or do I need to contact a moderator?

16 REPLIES 16

@Triguy wrote:

Data needs to be enabled to send texts but it doesn't count towards your data usage.

Data does not need to be enabled to send text messages.

@1946Buck I switched both myself and my mother over from Virgin at Christmas, so far I don't miss Virgin at all. The sound quality and services are on par with Bell. This is a pretty good time to switch. The Sims are being offered currently for $5( https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart ), and if you use a referral code, you get a $10 credit. If you don't have one, private message someone here and ask for theirs. Here is an article on activating.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

1946Buck

Thank you for responding about the data. I'm contemplating switching from Virgin Mobile to Public

No @1946Buck texting mms messages does not use your data. However, to text/ receive  mms messages, data has to be enabled on your phone. 

Data needs to be enabled to send texts but it doesn't count towards your data usage.

1946Buck

Does this mean Texting with pictures uses up my data.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

How do you know what message type you are sending or receiving on iPhone?

Messages with green bubbles are normal SMS/MMS text messages.

Message with blue bubbles are sent via the iMessage

popping

@TammyP2018 wrote:

I know at Telus, you have to phone and talk to the Tech team to do this for you. I would prefer to still be able to use iMessage with WIFI and use the pic message when WIFI is not available. Is this something a moderator can provision or ask Tech team to do?

My spouse is using an iPhone and I am using an Android phone. 

iPhone can send and receive SMS/MMS to/from my Android phone.

iPhone Settings for iOS 12.4.5

Under iPhone Messages settings:

iMessage = enabled

SMS/MMS

MMS Messaging = enabled

Group Messaging = enabled

All other Messages settings are disabled

@TammyP2018  I have confirmed with public mobile and as @computergeek541 reiterated the data blocking option does not exist as there are no overages at public mobile so it is an unnecessary option.

@TammyP2018 wrote:

Second question of the day - how do I ensure that my Iphone is using MMS and not data for pic messages. I know with my moms Iphone with Telus (with no data and unlimited MMS), I had to get the Tech team to "flip a switch" to make this work. Reading through a bunch of message boards, it appears I have to "flip the switch" on my phone by looking at the APN (which doesn't show or give me the ability to do anything).

I switched to the $15 plan and would prefer to have data blocked altogether on if possible.

Is this something I can do or do I need to contact a moderator?

There is no switch to be made on network end. The settings are completely on your device.  The reason that your mom probably had to contact Telus would be if she had a data block on the account but still wanted to use MMS. Public Mobile doesn't have an option for customer to ask them to block data.

@TammyP2018  There is no data blocking option with public mobile. It is up to you to either enable or disable mobile data or enable or disable your Imessage so as to not use data. Mobile data must be on to send/recieve MMS however you can have it off and turn it on to download messages to view them and turn it off again. MMS requires data to be on but does use actual data. So you can use all your plan data but still be able to send/recieve MMS as long as it's on.

You have to do it yourself @TammyP2018 , @popping  shows you how to disable, enable Imessage. Enable it on WiFi and disable it when on data only.

TammyP2018

I know at Telus, you have to phone and talk to the Tech team to do this for you. I would prefer to still be able to use iMessage with WIFI and use the pic message when WIFI is not available. Is this something a moderator can provision or ask Tech team to do?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

It a catch 22 with the iPhone. You need imessage to get messages from fellow iPhones via imessage and it uses data or WiFi. So, if you can do without receiving them when only on data. Then disable data and enable it only when you send a mms message or would like to see the picture in ones received.

popping

@TammyP2018 

You need to disable iMessage on your mother's iPhone because iMessaage uses wireless data or WiFi.  

Disable iMessage to Send as SMS or MMS

Step 1 Tap the Settings app.
Step 2 Select the "Messages" option.
Step 3 Set the "iMessage" toggle switch to the "Off" position.

Please note that your mother's iPhone will not receiving any iMessages from her friends with iPhone with iMessage enabled.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

MMS needs data on.  From my understanding that it does not count towards your data usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.