cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging

mrbojsza
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

this will let you send photos and receive photos ... so you don't need data on the 25$ plan!

data is only required if you want to surf the internet or download movies etc?

thanks

just signed up today and wonder if I need the 30$ plan with 1g data.

10 REPLIES 10

You need to enable data but it does not count towards your usage.

@gotbikes wrote:

I have the Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging with my $25.00 plan.  Why do I have to turn mobile data on to send a photo in a text?  Will this be deducted from my 500 mb reserve?

MMS needs a cellular data connection. it doesn't use any of your plan's data.

gotbikes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging with my $25.00 plan.  Why do I have to turn mobile data on to send a photo in a text?  Will this be deducted from my 500 mb reserve?

Data doesn't consume any additional battery power unless it's actively transmitting/receiving.

Data can consume a lot of additional battery power when actively transmitting/receiving in fringe service areas (where signal bars are very low) due to increased number of data packets sent/resent for error correction.

But beware of sneaky background data, apps constantly checking for updates or touching base with the mothership, etc.  While it's nice to have everything updated all the time, there is really no need to check and recheck every single minute of the day, lol, background data/updates can safely be disabled (and only enabled when actually in use) for almost every app.

@LEGOwrote:

Does it consume more battery if Data left on all the time?

Yes it will take more battery. Shouldn't be dramatic on most phones though.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo wrote:

If you don't need data no need to get it sms and MMS will work but you need data turned on and you APN settings set for Public. 

Wow, I didn’t know that Data needs to be enabled for this. When I check for available APNs, I can see these: Clearnet, Koodo and Telus ISP. Which one should I choose?

Does it consume more battery if Data left on all the time?

@matbasmwrote:

@mrbojsza, if you want to send and receive picture texts, you DO NOT need a data plan.  If you want to surf the net, or use apps when you do not have WiFi, then you need to have a data plan.

If you have more questions, just ask.

At Public Mobile there is also an option between no data plan and data plan: Combine a talk only plan, a text only plan or a talk & text plan with the 1GB data add-on. The data add-on doesn't expire until fully used and is a cost effective option if you are using less than 100 - 150MB/month for occasional low data usage like checking e-mails and social media on the go. (This average is based on standard in-market pricing, available to all customers.)

As mentioned above, the MMS function here (unlike most other prepaid carriers) doesn't require a data plan but you need to have your data connection on to send and receive them.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you don't need data no need to get it sms and MMS will work but you need data turned on and you APN settings set for Public.

Welcome to the community.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mrbojsza, if you want to send and receive picture texts, you DO NOT need a data plan.  If you want to surf the net, or use apps when you do not have WiFi, then you need to have a data plan.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Need Help? Let's chat.