cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Roaming

derekt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently changed my plan to include U.S. and Canada coverage. When I was in the U.S. it did not work or barely worked. I think it only worked when I was close to the Canadian border. When I got back to Canada, I got a text that said, " Welcome to the U.S.A .... " and told me about plans and I already had one. I literally paid an extra 30$ or more for northing and had to use Wi.Fi. Have others had this expereince? 

11 REPLIES 11

@derekt wrote:

Yes, roaming was enabled. The plan I had was $60 per 30 Days:
- 8.5GB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited International Text
- Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

I am aware and knew coming in Public Mobile is " very DIY ". I did not have any issues while uising in Canada for the past year. I did post comments on this form before I left asking for advise etc and this did not help. I am mostly sharing info here as an FYI for other as well as to help me decide what I should do next time I travel to the U.S. It is not really about the money but feeling let down but this community. 😞

I've travelled to US frequently and have used the 10 Day US Roaming add-on and I can vouch for it's effectiveness in the western states. I've not had any problem using it...once I learned how to buy it Smiley Mad

I've never used the new plan that you have, so I can't speak to it. Next trip..try the 10 day roaming add-on just to compare it with the one you had fail.

The Community Forum group is made up of regular PM users, just like you and I. Nobody is trying to give you bad intel...but there can be differences in your experience because of many reasons. Hang in and enjoy the low co$t cell $ervice only if it meets your expectations.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@derekt wrote:

It is not really about the money but feeling let down but this community. 😞

@derekt sorry you feel this way.  Bear in mind, we are just customers like yourself.  We are all drawing on our own experiences, but can't anticipate every possible issue you might run into. We aren't experts in the thousands of different phone models out there, we don't know the particulars of where you are going to travel, how you have your phone configured, etc etc.  There's a LOT of variables out there.  Most of us use the roaming service with little to no difficultly, myself and my partner on dozens of occasions across several devices (mix of Moto and OnePlus for me, Samsung S7 and S8 for her).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

derekt

Yes, roaming was enabled. The plan I had was $60 per 30 Days:
- 8.5GB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited International Text
- Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

I am aware and knew coming in Public Mobile is " very DIY ". I did not have any issues while uising in Canada for the past year. I did post comments on this form before I left asking for advise etc and this did not help. I am mostly sharing info here as an FYI for other as well as to help me decide what I should do next time I travel to the U.S. It is not really about the money but feeling let down but this community. 😞

@derektPublic Mobile is very DIY, so a lot of stuff is up to the user to figure it out.

As per the Terms of Service, the onus is still on the user to make sure the device is compatible with the network because Public Mobile can change the standards at their descretion.

ToS Compatible DevicesToS Compatible Devices

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Mine took about an hour to kick in and once it did I had no issues. I just added data so I never sent or received texts or calls. As mentioned check out if you have data roaming on.

derekt

I changed to the US Canada plan as it was said it will work in Canada and the U.S. without making any changes.

derekt

None of this was mentioned when I got the plan. My phone is a Galaxy Grand Prime. 

derekt

Yes. I also had a plan where it should work in Canada and the U.S. without making any changes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekt wrote:

I recently changed my plan to include U.S. and Canada coverage. When I was in the U.S. it did not work or barely worked. I think it only worked when I was close to the Canadian border. When I got back to Canada, I got a text that said, " Welcome to the U.S.A .... " and told me about plans and I already had one. I literally paid an extra 30$ or more for northing and had to use Wi.Fi. Have others had this expereince? 

Did you change the plan or did you buy an add-on. Odd that you got the text after returning.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@derektIt depends on what kind of phone you have.. for phones without support of Band 66; AT&T will be the best. If your phone supports band 66.. then TMobile's coverage is on par with AT&T and perhaps less congested.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Did you make sure that roaming was enbabled ?

Need Help? Let's chat.