cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Cell phone service keeps dropping

halifmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, 

My brother is in the U.S. on a phone using PM. He bought the talk ans text roaming plan. Everytime he calls out, he gets connected and soon hear 3 beeps, and then the call drops after about 10-15 seconds. Repeatable problem. 

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Mike

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@halifmike 

No specific experience of the problem. Just spending way too much time here reading and participating. Nor do I have a BB anymore. They just got too long in the tooth.

Glad you got it figured.

Good solution. Way to think outside the box.  I would never in a million years think of that solution.

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe he bought multiple same add-ons. Is he not able to post directly here rather than a thrid party?

halifmike

And that did fix it! I marked your reply as the solution. Thank you!

halifmike

Thanks for this answer, Z10User4. Leave it to a good old Blackberry user! 😉

Your idea that he had multiple add-ons that conflcted was right on. How did you know? Did it happenn to you before?

The situation with my brother is that he bought an add-on for voice when U.S. Roaming. He called me and told me it wasn't working. I looked at his account, and didn't see where the voice add-on was, so I went into Add-ons and didn't see the $8 voice add-in option. I assumed he fell into the PM trap of being able to select a service without having enough money in your account, being instructed to go add the money, and then assuming that once you add the money, the add-on will be there. But I was wrong. He did buy the add-on. In ther interim, I bought the $15 voice/text add-on, resulting in his having two add-ons for voice roaming. This is what caused his service to not work. As soon as the moderator removed the extra add-on his phone started working.

halifmike

The situation is that he bought an add-on for voice when U.S. Roaming. He called me and told me it wasn't working. I looked at his account, and didn't see where the voice add-on was, so I went into Add-ons and didn't see the $8 voice add-in option. I assumed he fell into the PM trap of being able to select a service without having enough money in your account, being instructed to go add the money, and then assuming that once you add the money, the add-on will be there. But I was wrong. He did buy the add-on. In ther interim, I bought the $15 voice/text add-on, resulting in his having two add-ons for voice roaming. This is what caused his service to not work. As soon as the moderator removed the extra add-on his phone started working.

Lessons Learned:

For us:

Be careful not not double up your add-ons.

For PM

- Don't allow the purchase of an add-ons that conflicts with one you already have

- Show the add-ons you already have in the list of possible add-ons but greyed out so you can't select it or with an indicator that you already  have it. You could also grey out those that cause conflicts, such as voice roaming versus the voice/text roaming combo,.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@halifmike wrote:

Thanks zuser10,

I have contacted PM Mods to see if this would cause the problem he is having.

I'll let you know if it would/did and if they were able to fix it.

Mike

@halifmike 

Certain parts of the USA have poor coverage depending on the network.  As suggested above, try to keep on 1 carrier so the phone does not switch between the available carriers.  Not sure if the screen should display, the roaming carrier?

You can check out these to see what coverage looks like in his area that he is visiting.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

halifmike

Thanks zuser10,

I have contacted PM Mods to see if this would cause the problem he is having.

I'll let you know if it would/did and if they were able to fix it.

Mike

halifmike

He doesn't have data. That is why I am trying to help him.

@Anonymous wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

Hi, 

My brother is in the U.S. on a phone using PM. He bought the talk ans text roaming plan. Everytime he calls out, he gets connected and soon hear 3 beeps, and then the call drops after about 10-15 seconds. Repeatable problem. 

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Mike

Maybe he bought multiple same add-ons. Is he not able to post directly here rather than a thrid party?

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What do you mean about multiple same add on purchases? Are you implying that the add ons are interfering with the service? Is that possible?

@Anonymous wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

Hi, 

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Mike

halifmike

Thanks again, Dunkman. I had him make sure he was connected to T-Mobile or AT&T, and that he had is phone set to allow roaming. He re-booted and voice is still not working. But texting is.

Another poster suggested he might have muitple add-ons for U.S. Roaming. He does. He bought one ($8 voice only) then thought he had not, and I bought one for him ($15 voice and text). There are now three showing on his account.  

I sent a message to the mods to see if they can remove the charge and the add-ons.

Your brother would need to submit a ticket to a moderator.

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help    -> Click on Chat with Simon - on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!

halifmike

He DID buy multiple same add ons by mistake!

What can he do about that to fix it?

@Anonymous wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

Hi, 

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Mike

halifmike

Thanks. Already working on this same suggestion from Dunkman.

@Triguy wrote:

Your brother could try to manually select either T-Mobile or AT&T network.  Also try rebooting phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@halifmike wrote:

Hi, 

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Mike

halifmike

Thanks, Dunkman, for the very rapid response!

I'll tell him to check that he is connected to one of those carriers. I assume he wouldn't be able to call out if roaming was not turned on. 

I think he is not getting text messages.

I'll post here how it goes.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your brother could try to manually select either T-Mobile or AT&T network.  Also try rebooting phone.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@halifmike 

Does texting function work?

Maybe try rebooting phone.  Manually choose either T mobile or AT&T, then vice versa.  Enable roaming on phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.