cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles in US

Chris3M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I just landed in SAN Francisco. I have the $40 plan which I thought gave me international texting. I bought add ons for calling and for data as well. As soon as I landed I went to send a text and was notified that texting was not part of my plan. I am confused. And likely all you wonderfully helpful people are sleeping 😢

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Maiden yes you definitely can't make regular phone calls with just the Data roaming option, unless you're using a VoIP app (Fongo, Talkatone, Hangouts, Skype, etc) or app-to-app calling (WhatsApp, Facetime, Facebook Messenger, etc). 

I'm not sure why you can't send texts now that you've added the Talk+Text bundle, you certainly should be able to.  Try rebooting like @Anonymous  suggested?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maiden 

Did you restart the phone?

Roaming is a bit of a different creature. You questioned buying data only and then not being able to talk or text. Well..yes...that's what you paid for.

Interesting that it's in your payment history but not in your add-ons. I think there's a usage button in the area...what do you see when you click on it?

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can't send texts down in the U.S. only receive them. I purchased a $20 10 day 1gb plan but couldn't call with that? So I then purchased a $15 Talk/Text plan but it isn't showing up in my payment history!? I can call now and receive texts but pretty useless if I can't respond.

• My Data & Add-Ons
  • Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    18GB + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed
    8603.049  /  24576 MB
    1GB Add-on
    2834.105  /  3190.781 MB
    200 min US and Canada Long Distance
    0  /  400 MIN
    200MB Add-on
    0  /  200 MB
    US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day)
    106.992  /  1000 MB

Date Transaction Type Credit (Payments) Debit (Charges) Balance

Mar 9, 2019US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) / Itinérance aux É.-U. - Appels + textos (10-jours) $15.00$19.00
Mar 9, 2019Credit/Visa Debit TopUp-Réapprov crédit/Visa Débit$20.00 $34.00
Mar 8, 2019US Roaming - 1 GB Data/Itinérance É-U - 1 Go $20.00$14.00
Mar 8, 2019Credit/Visa Debit TopUp-Réapprov crédit/Visa Débit$30.00 $34.00

srlawren

@Chris3M wrote:

I got data and calling but not texting I guess...

@Chris3M you guess? Well, you've guessed correctly.  If you need SMS texting as well, get the US Roaming Texting add-on as well.  It's pretty simple.

OR, as @Tony8 noted, move away from using SMS and use a proper messaging app like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Slack, Hangouts, Line, WeChat, BBM (LOL, yes I still use it with one very important-to-me contact), etc.  Of those, a combination of the first 2 or 3 will allow you to reach the vast majority of your contacts using only data.  All allow rich messaging experiences like typing indicators, delivered and read receipts, group messaging, in-app voice and video calls over data, etc.  Some even allow calling regular phone numbers over data (Skype and Hangouts for sure, there are others too like Viber, Fongo, TalkaTone, etc)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi. Just a suggestion, you could use another texting app that uses data. I use Hangouts and WhatsApp. Or old fashioned email. 🙂

Chris3M

I got data and calling but not texting I guess...

srlawren

@Chris3M wrote:

My plan has international texting. Shouldn't that mean that in the US I text for free? My plan is the $40 that has international texting. I also bought 10 day US roaming for $20 and 1 g of data for $8. But when I went to send a text it said texting wasn't covered

@Chris3M  you've had plenty of responses before your reply above telling you how it works. It sounds like you don't believe them, but it's true.  "International texting" means you can text to any number in the world from within Canada.  It does not imply roaming of any kind, nor does it state so any where.  You made an assumption based on a misunderstanding--fine, you're not the first and won't be the last to do so.  

@Alex888 wrote:

@Chris3MTry restarting your phone. If it's still not working go into your account, report your phone as lost/stolen, log out, wait 5 minutes, log in and report it found, then restart your phone.

@Alex888 no amount of restarting, lost/stolen, or contacting the mods will help: To be able to send texts while in the USA, you need the US Roaming Texting add-on, which @Chris3M  doesn't have.  Period.  End of story.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris3M wrote:

My plan has international texting. Shouldn't that mean that in the US I text for free? My plan is the $40 that has international texting. I also bought 10 day US roaming for $20 and 1 g of data for $8. But when I went to send a text it said texting wasn't covered

@Chris3M 

You had the same question in a thread that you made several hours ago. Were you not able to figure things out from those responses?

Maybe an Oracle might come along and combine the threads.

All *plans* are for while IN Canada. Add-ons are needed to use services in the states.

Did you do the two steps of adding money and then buying the add-on? Does your Available Funds show the money you put in still? Do you see your add-on down in the add-on section? Did you turn on any and all roaming options in your phone? Did you connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile by scanning or automatically? Did you restart the phone?

@Chris3MTry restarting your phone. If it's still not working go into your account, report your phone as lost/stolen, log out, wait 5 minutes, log in and report it found, then restart your phone.

If it's still not working try accessing data and making a call. If nothing works you may have triggered a bug that can happen if you buy multiple US packages causing none of them to work, and you would need moderator, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Metal1967 wrote:

@Chris3M 

Roaming isnt included in any base plan...if you bought the 20 dollar talk text data roaming bundle all should work..

Make sure roaming is turned on and try it again. 

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Chris3M 

Roaming isnt included in any base plan...if you bought the 20 dollar talk text data roaming bundle all should work..

Chris3M

popping

@Chris3M wrote:

So I just landed in SAN Francisco. I have the $40 plan which I thought gave me international texting. I bought add ons for calling and for data as well. As soon as I landed I went to send a text and was notified that texting was not part of my plan. I am confused. And likely all you wonderfully helpful people are sleeping 😢

You probably purchased the wrong add-on for use in Canada only.

The one you need while in USA is the US roaming add-ons.

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle

Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle

Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk Only

Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Text Only

Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Data Only

250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days

Based on what I'm reading, ie. " $40 plan which I thought gave me international texting", this sounds like this could be a misunderstanding.  Public Mobile plans with text messaging include outgoing messages while you are in Canada, not while you are anywhere else.  The only other place other than Canada that outgoing text messaging will work while you are there is the U.S., but only if you have a specific roaming package.  Whatever your current $40 plan has is irrelevant while you are in the U.S.A.  

mimmo

To text from USA you need to buy a USA texting addon. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris3M wrote:

All plans are for while IN Canada.

Did you buy the roaming add-ons?

Did you turn on roaming options?

Did you connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile?

Are you subscribed to a U.S. roaming add on?   Which add-ons did you take?

Need Help? Let's chat.