cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling

cristina7124
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My plan includes unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited international text. I am travelling to the dominican republic, will I still be able to send and receive messages from people in Canada while I am there. If not, what are some options?

10 REPLIES 10

@slash407 wrote:

yes if u have addon long distance, otherwise u can just use ur wifi and u'll be good.

Even if Public Mobile had roaming available in the Domincian Replublic, which they don't, a long distance add-on would be of any use.  Long distance add-ons are only good while in Canada.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

yes if u have addon long distance, otherwise u can just use ur wifi and u'll be good.

@slash407 just stop.  This is so wildly wrong I don't even know where to start.  You're continually providing wrong information and it's really disturbing.  You have to stop.  Please.

@cristina7124 wrote:

My plan includes unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited international text. I am travelling to the dominican republic, will I still be able to send and receive messages from people in Canada while I am there. If not, what are some options?

@cristina7124 I know that you've gotten a number of responses already, and aside from the one I quoted above from slash, all are correct and helpful.  I wanted to point out one more thing though: your unlimited international texting plan feature is only usable while you are physically in Canada; despite the somewhat confusing naming (you're not the first to be confused by it and won't be the last), this feature (and all plan features) only work in Canada and it lets you send and receive texts to/from anyone in the world while you are in Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Another option is buying a gigsky sim & plan which has coverage in DR.

Textnow is another option for FREE calling and texting, whilest in DR. As long as you have a rebust wifi connection, it works great.

Good luck and have fun in the sun !

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi. If you are there for a vacation , for a few weeks, I would connect to WIFI at a Hotel or Coffee shop, and text/send photos or talk with Hangouts or Whatsapp. Or use email.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

Once again @slash you are providing incorrect information.  Public has no service outside Canada or USA(with roaming package).  

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nope no service outside of Canada (other than US with appropriate ads-on). Best bet is to get a Dominican SIM card or stick to email/chat over wifi.

We were actually in the Dominican Republic a few months ago. Our resort had pretty good wifi so we pretty much stuck to facebook messanger and email. We may have even done a video chat. That said we were about an hour outside of Punta Cana and even so there was a store that sold SIM cards directly across the street from the resort (so I imagine they shouldn't be too hard to find if you needed one).

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@cristina7124 wrote:

Hi,

You will need to get a local SIM.  The only roaming available is in the US.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cristina7124 wrote:

Hi,

@cristina7124 NO. There is no roaming services in Dominican republic with PM. You have to buy an international sim card such as AOW. https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/?utm_source=roammobility.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=AOW%20...

Or you can download a free app such as TextNow or Fongo before travelling. If you can have wifi access, you can send text or call within North America for FREE. 

Need Help? Let's chat.