cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling within Canada, switch SIM card?

JosephEllis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of switching from Eastlink to Public Mobile (it just seems like a better cheaper plan overall, more coverage too). I have one question though. Currently I'm in PEI but will be travelling to Saskatchewan for 6 months. If I switch my phone over to Public Mobile and get this currently advertised plan https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/pe/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed while I'm still in PEI, do I need to get a new SIM card when I reach Saskatchewan to be able to make calls and avoid long distance charges? Or will the plan just work regardless of where I am in Canada (as long as I'm the coverage zones) and I won't be charged extra or need any special add-ons? 

9 REPLIES 9

@Jdmom3 wrote:

Ok good to know. I hadn’t seen different types of plans. I’ve only seen the Canada wide plans. Even better for this customer. 

@Jdmom3 keep reading in the forum.  You'll find folks with data-only plans, province-wide talk only, SMS only, and some who have Canada-Wide SMS and MMS.

Lots of choices over the years here.  Province-wide calling is still available in the plan builder, and I think 1 or 2 ready-made plans.

Jdmom3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok good to know. I hadn’t seen different types of plans. I’ve only seen the Canada wide plans. Even better for this customer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jdmom3 wrote:

Could you explain this then?  Why would they offer long distance in Canada if it’s in the plan

Those add-ons would be useful to those with either of the limited-minutes plans or with province-wide plans. You said if one were to go to Saskatchewan then one would be charged long distance to call another province if one were on a Canada-wide plan. This is incorrect. Doubly so in that there are no extra charges in this place.

Edit: They're also useful for ALL plans to be able to call to some destinations outside Canada.

Jdmom3

Could you explain this then?  Why would they offer long distance in Canada if it’s in the plan

8789A674-6D24-47B8-AB81-8304089D794E.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jdmom3 wrote:

Public mobile has Canada wide calling, that means if your in a city and you call a local number then it’s a local call. But if your in Saskatchewan and calling to pei then you will be charged long distance. Their add-on for long distance is pretty cheap, it might benefit you to add-on. 

This is incorrect. Canada-wide means calling FROM anywhere in Canada TO anywhere in Canada.

Jdmom3

Public mobile has Canada wide calling, that means if your in a city and you call a local number then it’s a local call. But if your in Saskatchewan and calling to pei then you will be charged long distance. Their add-on for long distance is pretty cheap, it might benefit you to add-on. 

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

agree above. The only problem might be from people who call you: they might have to pay long distance.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@JosephEllis wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of switching from Eastlink to Public Mobile (it just seems like a better cheaper plan overall, more coverage too). I have one question though. Currently I'm in PEI but will be travelling to Saskatchewan for 6 months. If I switch my phone over to Public Mobile and get this currently advertised plan https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/pe/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed while I'm still in PEI, do I need to get a new SIM card when I reach Saskatchewan to be able to make calls and avoid long distance charges? Or will the plan just work regardless of where I am in Canada (as long as I'm the coverage zones) and I won't be charged extra or need any special add-ons? 

@JosephEllis  Your phone will work anywhere in Canada no extra fees or cards required.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@JosephEllis wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of switching from Eastlink to Public Mobile(it just seems like a better cheaper plan overall, more coverage too). I have one question though. Currently I'm in PEI but while to travelling to Saskatchewan for 6 months. If I switch my phone over to Public Mobile and get this currently advertised plan https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/pe/plans/40for4500MB-3Gspeed while I'm still in PEI, do I need to get a new SIM card when I reach Saskatchewan to be able to make calls and avoid long distance charges? Or will the plan just work regardless of where I am in Canada (as long as I'm the coverage zones) and I won't be charged extra or need any special add-ons? 

You don’t need another sim!! And with a plan with canada calls you will have no problem to go to Saskatchewan! And you will not pay any surcharge or for sime add-on... you can call anywhere in Canada

Need Help? Let's chat.