cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to US tomorrow

TiffanyD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! Im travelling to the US for 5 weeks, leaving Canada tomorrow. Are my only options plan add-ons? Get's expensive after awhile. I thought I read somewhere that there were new US plans? 

11 REPLIES 11

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TiffanyD  PM's 10 day US add-ons are not the cheapest way to go, roaming SIMS, followed by messaging apps being the cheapest if used on free Wifi. If you do decide to use the add-ons, you message the moderators to automatically renew the add-on every 10 days. Enjoy your trip !

iPhoneUser

@Frankie_C wrote:

PM should think about to add a 30days US Roaming Plan...

Yes I agree.  Would help snowbirds if a 30 day plan was in place at a comparable price as a USA burner phone plus exchange of course! Why not keep all the business within?

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best to get a local sim while in the US. Their prices are likely lower than buying a roaming add on here for only 10 days. Download WhatsApp for free calling and texting between Canada and US is another option.

Frankie_C
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

PM should think about to add a 30days US Roaming Plan...

iPhoneUser

@TiffanyD wrote:

Hi! Im travelling to the US for 5 weeks, leaving Canada tomorrow. Are my only options plan add-ons? Get's expensive after awhile. I thought I read somewhere that there were new US plans? 

If you feel you need to step away from PM while in USA, look at Tracfone at Walmart. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@TiffanyD  PM US roaming add-ons are designed for up to 10 days. Best to purchase a prepaid package when you are in the US. To get an idea of what is available search on Amazon for prepaid US prepaid sim options.

@LovesToPM Is right the cheapest  us roaming add on to talk and text would cost you $60 + data added 80. So unless you need to recieve important calls/ texts  on your phone number. That's the way to go.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@TiffanyD wrote:

Your best bet would be a local US or International SIM.

The $60 Canada/US plan was offered for a limited time. It is no longer available.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have access to wifi then you could use apps like Skype, WhatsApp, TextNow, or Fongo.  

If you need a roaming access then you would be better off to buy a local sim or use Zip Sim or Gigsky.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TiffanyD, as others have already said, the US roaming add-ons are intended for short trips.  You can allow your current account to go into suspension (up to 90 days) while in the US.  Not having to pay for this service while away will free up funds to buy a local service. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiffanyD  For now, the only options are 10 days at a time, and you can't even line them up to kick in sequentially - automatically.  They are really not intended for extended trips.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@TiffanyD wrote:

Your best bet would be a local US or International SIM.

The $60 Canada/US plan was offered for a limited time. It is no longer available.

With PM's US Roaming add-ons, there are some hassles with longer term use. You have to renew them every 10 days. And if you want to buy the exact same roaming add-on again, you have to wait another day after the expiry to be able to buy it again.

Need Help? Let's chat.