cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Mexico

DAK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been a big supporter of PUBLIC since I started a few years back. The best no frills in Canada!

Not having roaming outside of north america is a pain but you can work around it, not perfect but it can be done.

If you are travelling to Mexico with a unlocked cell phone (any SIM card works) you can go to Telcel (the National Cellphone Service) and get a new SIM with a Mexican number for about $20 CDN. This can be done at Telcel BUT I found the easiest at Walmart OR OXXO (their 7-Eleven). This will give you unlimited calls to Mexico, USA and Canada, more texts then you will ever use and unlimited use of Whatsapp, Facebook, and the rest of the social media platforms. Also gives you 4500GB data. 

This is for the first month. 

From then on whenever you want another month it is $13 CDN. Do this online!

If you spend a lot of time there, you will add another $13 CDN before the month is up, the data not used is added on to the new data.

Oh yeah, when you get back to Canada OR the US you can still use the Mexican numbers to make local calls.

There are apps available to forward texts to email.

Food for thought!

4 REPLIES 4

DAK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

All

Yes, in my interest to pass on information the 4.5 Gb was incorrectly stated and not corrected when proofed! 

One other thing, if you want to get the SIM before departing it is available on Amazon at a slightly inflated price. Interestingly the APN settings were more accurate then the one I purchased in Mexico. I had to put in the correct ones from the website.

My cell phone is dual SIM so both Public and Telcel are in place for calls/texts/data as I choose.

Tonight I received a post from mexicosim.com with a pretty nice Mexican cell package WITH data.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DAK wrote:

Also gives you 4500GB data. 

Wow, 4.5 terabytes is like 529 times more data than the largest 8.5GB/mo plan offered by Public Mobile. If only Canada could compete! Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's a known fact that it's cheapest to shop locally.  A lot of people think it's too difficult to SIM swap.  Thanks for this information.  Hopefully, travellers to Mexico can make use of this.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @DAK  a well written piece. Think that it should say 4500 mb not gb of data.

Need Help? Let's chat.