cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling overseas

samrj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Going to London for a week and have a $15/mth plan (no data) so wondering if the "unlimited international texts" will work here or do I need to buy a Sim card there to be able to send a receive texts?

12 REPLIES 12

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@samrj wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Just so I'm clear with my new plan....."unlimited internation texts" means I can send and receive unlimited texts each month within Canada?

It means that when you're in Canada and connected to PM network, you can send texts to anywhere in the world.

@samrj  Free WiFi is quite prevalent in London using s free app like text me and utilizing the messaging services from different apps like messenger, airbnb etc...should be sufficient for your needs for a week. The last time I was there it was my intention to buy a local SIM and found it just wasn't necessary as any communication was easily done over WiFi.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@samrj wrote:

Going to London for a week and have a $15/mth plan (no data) so wondering if the "unlimited international texts" will work here or do I need to buy a Sim card there to be able to send a receive texts?

@samrj If you'd like a local SIM, https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans, send me a private message and I'll mail one to you. Your phone must be unlocked to work there.

If not familiar with private messaging see: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@samrj , you could also try Roam Mobility too. My girlfriend (now my wife) at the time bought a calling card here where she lived (normally, there is a toll-free number to use) then dial the number that needed. She paid 'x' amount of money not knowing how much she needed. It worked quite well for her she said. She used the hotel or hostel phone line when she made the calls. 

samrj

Thank you. Great advice.

samrj

Thank you for your help!

Yes @samrj that's exactly what it means.

@samrj wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Just so I'm clear with my new plan....."unlimited internation texts" means I can send and receive unlimited texts each month within Canada?

samrj

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@samrj wrote:

No, the ""unlimited international texts" won't work there.  Only when you're in Canada and connected to the Public Mobile network you can send/receive international texts.  Yes, you'd have to buy a sim card there if you want to be able to text.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can purchase a local sim or use Gigsky.  If you have access to wi-fi then you could use apps like TextNow, Fongo, Skype, or WhatsApp.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@samrj No, you would have to buy a local SIM. The international texts only work when texting from within Canada. And PM only roams in the US. You could also download the Textnow app and use it over WiFi to make calls and receive texts. Enjoy your trip. 

@samrj wrote:

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No it will not. ONLY in Canada.

PM only offers USA ROAMING ADD-ONS.

You will have to look into a local sim card.

Other option take a look at TEXTNOW APP. You get a Canadian number in your area and can call and text for free over Wi-fi. People can even leave you voicemail when your not online.

Need Help? Let's chat.