cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling outside of North America options

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello Community,

As it stands, I do not see any option with Public Mobile to use services outside of North America. What is suggested to do when travelling outside of Canada and US?

9 REPLIES 9

eeee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A local SIM card purchased when you arrive at your destination is usually the best value.  Check the Prepaid Data SIM Wiki for country-specific information about local prepaid options around the world.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@esjliv 

PM does not have any roaming add-on outside USA.  Buy the local SIM card when your arrive at your destination.

If you do not use WhatsApp to communicate with your friends and family, it is time set it up and invite your family and friends to install WhatsApp before you leave Canada. 

Advantages:

- WhatsApp is available on iPhone and Android phone.  

- You friends and family continue to communicate with you without knowing your destination local SIM card phone number.  All you have to do is update your Whatsapp account with your new local SIM card phone number.

- If you don't want to get a local SIM card, you can still use airport or hotel wifi to keep contact with your family and friends

A few years ago, my son missed a flight home at Amsterdam airport.  He woke me up on my WhatsApp early morning.  I called Aeroplan to re-book a new flight for next day and let him know the new schedule.  All communication was done on Amsterdam airport wifi using WhatsApp.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Be sure to suspend your service with PM (disable Autopay) and buy a local SIM at the destination you are at. It would probably be the equivalent of SpeakOut in that country.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

It really depends on where you plan on travelling as to what kind of travel or local sim you want. Travel Sims that you purchase ahead of time may give you peace of mind but can be expensive but you can get ones that cover certain zones convenient if your travelling to several countfries and you dont speak the language. If you're travelling to Europe you may be able to get by on WiFi only but otherwise the best local Sims are purchased in the UK and work in most of Europe as a local  calling /texting/data. The UAE offers a free sim to all international visitors with I believe 20gb of data. Just do a little research on your options when youre in the trip planning stage.. Just make sure your phone is unlocked before you go!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase a local sim or buy Gigsky sim.  If you have access to wifi then you could use apps like WhatsApp, Textnow, Fongo, or Skype.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

Hello Community,

As it stands, I do not see any option with Public Mobile to use services outside of North America. What is suggested to do when travelling outside of Canada and US?

For our travels, we've found the free app TextNow to be pretty reliable but you need a wifi signal for it to work. Seems like most everywhere has wifi now...resorts, cafe's, bars and diners will give you the password if you are a customer. I'm sure there's other voip apps but TextNow is our choice.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esjliv hi check out amazon.ca they have many types of travel sims also download one of the many free calling apps which can be used on available wifi 😁

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv  Consider a travel sim. I travel quite a bit (or I did until recently) and use one. Knowroaming (there are many others) works everywhere that I have travelled in the world. They are a pay in advance sim. You deposit money and it is deducted as you make/receive calls or send texts. They have data add ons that you can purchase in most countries.

Travel sims aren't particularly cheap but outside of wifi they allow me to have a number that anyone can reach me at virtually anywhere that I travel. With elderly/ill parents, this is/was an overriding requirement.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Public mobile does not offer anything outside of the USA.

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage.

Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Hawaii’s sunny beaches, we will have you covered

For other destinations outside USA consider buying a local sim card for said country or look into apps such as textnow where you get a Canadian number in your area which will allow you to call and text USA/Canada numbers for free over wifi. So people from home can still reach you.

Need Help? Let's chat.