cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling Overseas

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi guys,

My mom is looking to travel to Hong Kong this summer. I was wondering if the "400 min Intl Long Distance (Incl Canada & US)" addon covers Hong Kong? I was searching the forums and all I could find was roaming in the US. If PM doesn't have a true international roaming add on, would I need to get her phone (currently locked to Koodo/Telus) unlocked to then use an international SIM card? Are there better alternatives that exist?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

12 REPLIES 12

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jzmtl wrote:

Voice and text should be fine, but depends on mobile provider data may be stuck at 2G. 

If the providers are the same as mainland, look for THIS company logo, you'll have 4G. Do not use THIS, you'll be stuck at 2G with sporadic signal. 

Actually, Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China.

Their cellular networks are separated from China, their technology is different too. Chinese actually need to roam in HK. Smiley Tongue

Most north america phone (not CDMA) are fully compatible with some HK carrier (SmarTone, csl). But if you want to go for cheap, China Mobile HK is a good choice.

$12 CAD pre-paid can get you talk, text, and 3G unlimited for 20 days or 4G 1.5 GB for just $9 CAD. 

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-cVhMAK4c

Watoko

Excellent, thanks all for your input!!!

jzmtl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Voice and text should be fine, but depends on mobile provider data may be stuck at 2G. 

If the providers are the same as mainland, look for THIS company logo, you'll have 4G. Do not use THIS, you'll be stuck at 2G with sporadic signal. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Watoko the other issue to consider, even if you got the phone unlocked, is compatbility with the networks available in HK.  Many phones sold in the North American market may have no or only basic compatibility with overseas providers, just like the opposite is also true.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Watoko

Thanks @Luddite, didn't know there was such a big price difference between Android unlocking and iPhone unlocking.

I don't anticipate her to travel much overseas after this, so will probably keep it cheap and use Wifi and apps you all suggested!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Watoko When my grandson went on a school trip to China he and his parents installed WeChat. He just used wifi hotspots to stay in touch.

For celullar service in Hong Kong, you will need to get her phone unlocked. Public Mobile will unlock a Koodo/Telus phone for $50: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

A good price for an iPhone but most Android phones can be unlocked for less; for example: https://www.mobifree.net/unlock

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jzmtl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Phones aren't much cheaper, but plans are dirt cheap compare to what we have here. 

Fongo is okay, you still need wifi, but so many other messenger apps offers voice/video chat and has better photo/file function, so unless you really need a Canadian number or calling a landlane, it's not that useful. 

Also be aware any google product is blocked in China. 

Watoko

Perfect, thanks for the options everyone! I know @Luddite vouches a lot for Fongo.

Chaos_Scorpio

Might be cheaper just to buy a disposable phone/plan once she lands. I doubt they would be expensive in China. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The only solution is to buy service when in Hong Kong from a local carrier.  Generally, this approach is the most cost effective even if your own carrier has flexible roaming options.  Unless the SIM card is welded in place, switching services should not be too difficult.

Im a little confused, i think two options are being confused.

The LD add-on is used when you want to call somewhere long distance from your home province.

Whereas there is a separate US roaming package is used when you want to be in the US and use your phone.  unforuntaetly these only work for US roaming and no other country.

As @CalvinW said you're best to buy a local SIM in hong kong.

CalvinW

@Watoko No, it doesn't cover Hong Kong. Your best bet is to use an international SIM or use some kind of VOIP service. One that I would recommend would be Fongo, which uses wifi to make calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.