cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to US without Roaming.

Tman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all, Just wondering why is it that while I'm in the US I still receive text messages even though I don't have US roaming? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Tman wrote:

Hey all, Just wondering why is it that while I'm in the US I still receive text messages even though I don't have US roaming? Thanks

Actually with many Canadian carriers, incoming texts are always free even while roaming.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tman  the why is unknown, iirc people have theorised that 

1) since incoming SMS are always free they decided to let them be free in USA as well

2)you receive roaming alerts and welcome to USA sms, and they could disable other sms without disabling those.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tman wrote:

Yes, you will still be able to receive text messages but nothing else will work in the U.S. without a U.S. roaming add-on.

@computergeek541  Well would woulda look at that....I didn't know that little nugget of information. Incoming texts still work in the US. You learn something new every day.

@Tman wrote:

Yes, you will still be able to receive text messages but nothing else will work in the U.S. without a U.S. roaming add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.