cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to Jamaica

sosmond
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, just wondering what plan is available for service in Jamaica? We are living in Canada 😊 but traveling to Jamaica tomorrow.

8 REPLIES 8

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sosmond as the others have already mentioned there's no plan that covers in Jamaica with Public Mobile.  Recommend you just get a SIM card from a local provider while you're in Jamaica.  Highly recommend Digicel, they're the leading provider Jamaica and I believe in the Caribbean to begin with.

Good luck while you're there because technically it is hurricane season.  For future travels avoid the Caribbean between late August and mid October.  

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey!

You can always use Whatsapp/Facetime to make phone calls over WiFi. I would imagine you would be staying on a resort so you should have WiFi almost everywhere.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

There is only roaming in the US.  You would either have to buy a local sim or Gigsky.  Alternatively, if you have wi-fi then you could use apps like Fongo, Skype, or Textnow.

Actually according to their coverage page on website it also works for the entire Virgin Islands. That includes both US and British Virgin Islands. I see the US Virgin Islands as that's a US territory. Never understood why British Virgin Islands are included in the US Roaming.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There is only roaming in the US.  You would either have to buy a local sim or Gigsky.  Alternatively, if you have wi-fi then you could use apps like Fongo, Skype, or Textnow.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As an alternative to getting a local prepaid SIM in Jamaica, Get the Fongo app before you leave and sign up for free. You get a real number tied to that app, separate from your PM number. That way, when you're in Jamaica, you can make/receive free calls to/from Canada -- everywhere except the territories,  I believe. You just need access to WiFi (or data which you could get from a prepaid SIM). But this way, you don't have to worry about roaming or anything else -- non issue since PM doesn't offer roaming beyond US, as mentioned.

Tell your friends/family it's your vacation number. 🙂 Also, you can buy texting bundles through Fongo -- they're reasonable.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

No PM only works in Canada and with an add-on in US. You can pick up a prepaid sim in Jamaica, but you'll have to get a new number and give that to your friends.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@sosmond  hi sorry there is none Smiley Sad

@sosmond wrote:

Hi, just wondering what plan is available for service in Jamaica? We are living in Canada 😊 but traveling to Jamaica tomorrow.

Public Mobile doesn't have any service offerings that will work outside Canada or the U.S.  You would have to purchase a service that offers roaming in Jamaica or purchase a local service while you are there.

Need Help? Let's chat.