cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel

mpeters571
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When traveling to the United States, is there an add-on that will allow me to use my phone is the US?

9 REPLIES 9

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I love those US add ons and I buy them when I cross the border. Good value for money 🙂 

I've moved this thread to Plans and Add-ons because it's not related to rewards (the previous category).

@mpeters571 wrote:

So what you're saying is if I was in the country for longer than 10 days, I would be without a phone? I would be able to purchase the next 10 days online though, right?

Yes you can purchase Add-ons through your Self-Serve account.
You can do so using mobile data or wifi. Smiley Happy

mpeters571

Sounds good! It doesn't really matter anyway I'll only be there for nine days. Thank you! 🙂

@mpeters571Yes you would be able to purchase the next 10 days online. However do note US prepaid plans offers more value around the 15 to 30 day mark.. so you would want to make a value judgement.

mpeters571

So what you're saying is if I was in the country for longer than 10 days, I would be without a phone? I would be able to purchase the next 10 days online though, right?

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@mpeters571  Here are the US roaming Add-ons

PM US roaming add-ons.jpg

Choose wisely because you cannot reload/repurchase the exact same Add-On until after it's expiry. You have to wait until Day 11.

However you can opt to buy another US Roaming Add-on at any time.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mpeters571 wrote:

When traveling to the United States, is there an add-on that will allow me to use my phone is the US?

@mpeters571 

PM offers US roaming add-ons that are valid for 10 days from the day you purchase them:

1. U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days. $20
  2. U.S. Talk and Text Bundle Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.
    $15
  3. U.S. Talk Only Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days. $8
  4. U.S. Text Only Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days. $8
  5. U.S. Data Only 250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days.

Note: In the U.S. PM offers U.S. Roaming Add-Ons with one service, or a combination. All U.S. Roaming Add-Ons will last 10 days. This 10-day period begins when you pay for the Add-On and ends 10 days later at 11:59PM ET.

Below are some important things you should know about U.S. Roaming Add-Ons:
We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage. Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. 

10 days after you purchase a U.S. Roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire.
If you want to purchase two of the same U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, you will have to wait for the first 10-day period to expire before buying the second, or you can contact a Moderator.
If you purchase 2 different U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, they will expire separately.
For example:
You purchase a U.S Roaming Talk, Text, Data Add-On on Day 1 of your plan. It will expire on Day 10.
On Day 6 of your plan, you purchase a 1 GB U.S. Roaming Data Add-On. It will expire on Day 15.
When you’re roaming, you can still access the internet with a Wi-Fi connection, which won’t deplete your data Add-On.

Troubleshooting U.S. Roaming Add-Ons

Q: I’m in the U.S. and cannot send any text messages, make calls, or use my data. What do I do?

A:
Please make sure you’ve added a roaming Add-On that includes the service you are trying to use. You can verify what’s included in your Add-On by signing into Self-Serve.
For data issues, make sure your APN settings are correctly configured. Click here to find out how to verify APN settings.
Make sure your mobile device has roaming enabled.
If these solutions don’t work, create or sign in to your Community account, and contact our Moderator Team here.

Q: How do I enable roaming on my device?
A: Here’s how to enable for iPhones and Androids:

How to enable roaming on an iPhone:
Select Settings > Cellular > move ‘Data Roaming’ to the ‘ON’ position.

How to enable roaming on Android:
Open ‘Settings’.
In ‘Wireless & Networks’, select ‘More’.
Choose ‘Mobile Networks’.
On some Android devices, you may need to choose ‘Battery & Data Manager’, and then ‘Data Delivery’
Add the check mark by the ‘Data Roaming’ option.
On some phones, the option is called ‘Global Data Roaming Access’: choose it, and then choose ‘Enable Data Roaming Access’.

Q: I can’t add a U.S. Roaming Add-On to my account. What should I do?

A: Purchasing Add-Ons is a 2-step process:
You will need to add funds equal to the amount of the Add-On to your account.
Then, click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview page.
If this doesn’t work, you will need to create or log in to your Community account, and contact our Moderator Team here.

How to Purchase Add-Ons

You can purchase Add-Ons by dialing *611, or by signing in to your Self-Serve account. Before you purchase an Add-On, we recommend you review your options here, so you know what Add-On best suits your needs, and how much it will cost.

To purchase an Add-On using this method, you will need to have a payment card registered to your account. Find out how to register your card in Self-Serve here. Dial *611 on your phone, and follow the prompts to first make a payment using a Public Mobile payment voucher, credit card, or Visa Debit card. After adding funds equal to or greater than the Add-On you wish to purchase, follow the prompts to buy an Add-On. You will need your 4-digit account PIN to purchase an Add-On. You selected your PIN when you activated your account.

Self-Serve

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:
Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@mpeters571 wrote:

@mpeters571  Yes, log into your account here https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/ and go to purchase add-ons, you can see all the different us addon packages

FYI U.S. Roaming Add-ons are enabled a soon as you buy them and automatically. With the US add-ons, you need to connect to the roaming partner networks (AT&T, T-Mobile) in order to use the service.  The Public Mobile network is only available in Canada.  All roaming usage involves being able to connect to a roaming partner's network. If data is purchased, roaming data needs to be enabled. Make sure you enable roaming on your phone. You need to make sure your phone has "ROAMING" settings turned to on.

In my experience when you click enable roaming on your phone, the phone gives you a warning. "ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS YOU MAY INCUR MASSIVE CHARGES."  Pretty sure all phones have roaming disabled by default for this reason.

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons expire after 10 days. Any unused data expires at the end of the U.S. Roaming Add-On.

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are not available if you're on a grandfathered $19 plan.

Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

usr.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.