cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to US and wanting to use Always Online Wireless

sylviaplee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am travelling to the US tomorrow and rather than purchasing a PM add on, I decided to purchase an Always Online Wireless (AOW) SIM (from London Drugs for $15). I just want to make sure that PM data won't suddenly 'kick in' and start charging me exhorbitant amounts for data in the US. I read somewhere that if you don't purchase a PM add on for use in the US, then your phone wont work on the PM SIM card. 

Is this correct? I just want to use AOW and avoid a nasty bill when I get back. 

thx in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

If you do not have a roaming option purchased and available on your PM plan, the roaming CANNOT happen.  You must pay for every service with Public Mobile before you can ever use it.

I've not heard of this specific SIM you're asking about, but if it gives you what you need, there's no need to have your PM Sim available in the US.

The drop of connection isn't 'at the border', but rather a number of miles across the border before it loses connection.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sylviaplee wrote:

I am travelling to the US tomorrow and rather than purchasing a PM add on, I decided to purchase an Always Online Wireless (AOW) SIM (from London Drugs for $15). I just want to make sure that PM data won't suddenly 'kick in' and start charging me exhorbitant amounts for data in the US. I read somewhere that if you don't purchase a PM add on for use in the US, then your phone wont work on the PM SIM card. 

thx in advance 🙂

Just a suggestion... have a look at the options offered by Public Mobile for the 10 Day US Roaming add-ons. If your trip is 10 days or less, this is as cost-effective as any 3rd party sims. You can get 10 days of US / Canada talk/text and 250mb of data for $20. You can get a talk/text only package or also a data only package.

If you plan on staying longer than 10 days, perhaps your AOW is the better option.

Safe travels wherever you go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sylviaplee wrote:

thx in advance 🙂

There are no nasty bills here. If you don't pay for it you don't get it.

Sometimes there are little surprises that go to our benefit.

PM has roaming contracts with 2 providers in the states. If your phone is on and you're in the states and you happen to connect to one of them then you'll get a text from PM welcoming you to the states and inviting you to buy add-ons.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sylviaplee wrote:

thx in advance 🙂

Once you cross into US, your PM network will cease until you return home. There's not going to be any charges. I've heard you can recieve texts (no cost) while in US but you won't be able to respond, unless you get a 10 Day US Roaming add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.