cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel in UK and Western Europe

LanieFisher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to use my cell phone for maps and perhaps some local websites with train information while travelling in Europe. I will not be texting or phoning. Can I use my cell phone for this without incurring charges? 

10 REPLIES 10

LanieFisher

Thanks@ Can't travel right now, due to covid, of course, so have some time. this information is very helpful.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would like to also mention that GiffGaff does ship SIMs internationally for free, you don't need to activate a tariff (plan) to be able to order your free SIM.  If you aren't in a hurry to leave the country, you can just complete the form with your mailing address and it should show up eventually... 

Canada Post is quite backed up and GiffGaff just sends them via Royal Mail international standard mail so it's unpredictable when it may arrive.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@LanieFisher  Checkout https://www.giffgaff.com/; prepaid like PM and their monthly plan will work in UK & EU. Send me a private message if you'd like a SIM quickly.

For offline maps that still provide driving directions with just the phone's gps, check out app from HERE WeGo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Happy and Safe Travels @LanieFisher !

LanieFisher

Thanks to all who responded - your answers really help!

apvm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can download the app HERE Wego and download maps (European maps available).  This app can be use offline (no data) with location on.  The app and maps are free.  

@LanieFisher  if you want a calling texting option while out of country. TEXTNOW is the way to go.

You get a Canadian number in your area. Other people don't need the app just your textnow number to call you. Free calls/ text to Canada and USA numbers for free. Works on wi-fi or data. See link below for more details about text now.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/How-to-15-plan-Check-Voicemail-Free-Textnow...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LanieFisher wrote:

I would like to use my cell phone for maps and perhaps some local websites with train information while travelling in Europe. I will not be texting or phoning. Can I use my cell phone for this without incurring charges? 

Of course. Think of it as a little portable computer. You can download maps for offline use. GPS will work for location anywhere. Wifi everywhere for internet.

No charges from here as there is no service there.

You could also get a local SIM/service for cell needs.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@LanieFisher ,

Download apps like Fongo or Textnow to use in wifi areas. Or buy a local SIM where you are going.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @LanieFisher ,

So sorry, Public Mobile services are only for North American use.

Need Help? Let's chat.