cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel: What to do with my phone?

Callan89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey! 

I am going to Europe this Summer and I am trying to figure out what to do with my phone plan.

As I have international text, does that mean I can text from any country or does that mean I can text any country from Canada only? 

I will be gone for a few months and I want to know it PM offers plans that will be good for the duration of my trip (and that won't cost me an arm and a leg!). I don't need much calling. My main concern is text! 

Thank you all!

14 REPLIES 14

https://www.traveltomtom.net/travel-tips/europe-sim-card @Callan89  You have received excellent advice on suspending your account while in Europe this summer.  I travelled there in 2018 and bought a dual sim phone with the intent of purchasing a local sim card for use while there. However with plenty of free WiFi available (in Dublin all buses and coaches had free wifi) I never bothered to buy a local sim card even though most are very cheap compared to canada. The link to the above blog compares most providers...and the best deals based on your arrival destination and whether to buy it ahead of time online, at the arrival airport or in the city. Hands down the best sim card deals are in the uk for as little as £5 for SIM card and plan and roaming in Europe. Happy travels!

D5eez

Most airports will have stores selling phone plans and sim cards.  They can give you advice as to which plan will work best for you according to length of stay and the phone you have.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Callan89  I don't recall anyone mentioning to make sure you disable auto pay. If you don't even with no funds in the account your plan will renew.

This I find is aleays a good read    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

And finally last time I was in europe, (Italy 3 years ago) sending sms was pay per use, as everyone there seems to use WhatsApp.   So if you get a local sim make sure you know the details.

mikeyH

No problem.  Enyoy your trip!

Callan89

Okay! I will have to look into it! Thank you so much for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callan89 wrote:

A little under 3 months! So I think I might just pause my PM account and get a prepaid in Europe. Thank you everyone for your help! Sorry about the two threads! (Couldn't figure out where to post it and wasn't able to delete after...)

If you don't have sufficient funds in your Available Funds to cover your plan cost then it'll suspend on its own. That starts the clock. Renew before 90 days later and you pick up where you left off. (except maybe some promos)

mikeyH

That's exactly what I would do.  Amazon sells the International prepaid sims with texting and data.. I bought one but have not used it yet.  Make sure you purchase the right sim for your phone.    

Callan89

A little under 3 months! So I think I might just pause my PM account and get a prepaid in Europe. Thank you everyone for your help! Sorry about the two threads! (Couldn't figure out where to post it and wasn't able to delete after...)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Callan89 wrote:

Hey! 

I am going to Europe this Summer and I am trying to figure out what to do with my phone plan.

As I have international text, does that mean I can text from any country or does that mean I can text any country from Canada only? 

@Callan89  Canada only.

I will be gone for a few months and I want to know it PM offers plans that will be good for the duration of my trip (and that won't cost me an arm and a leg!). I don't need much calling. My main concern is text! 

Best to look into purchasing a local prepaid plan. Most European countries offer free roaming packages across Europe at very low rates.

Thank you all!

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit: um...multiple threads?

just one thread now

I merged two threads a few minutes ago.

@Callan89 wrote:

Hey! 

Thank you all!

Your PM plan won't work anywhere but Canada or US with the US add-on. 

Inyternational texting only works whilst you're in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callan89 wrote:

Hey! 

Thank you all!

Public Mobile only works while in Canada. Or roaming add-ons in the US. That's it.

There is a 90 day grace that your plan can be suspended where you can renew and keep your plan (or change it). After that, it deactivates.

How long will you be away?

@Callan89 

Public Mobile service will not work in Europe. You could make it so that your plan doesn't renew by making sure that there aren't enough funds in your account.  This would help so that you don't end up paying for service that you're not going to use.  However, after being in suspended status for 90 days, your account will be permanently closed.

Callan89

Hey! 

Thank you all!

Need Help? Let's chat.