cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Told I need a long distance add-on?!?

letscancelwinte
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! I have Canada wide calling and yet when I try to make a call from the Maskwacis Reserve north of Ponoka (Alberta) I'm told that I don't have a long distance plan and to call 611 to buy an add on. Not very helpful when I was stuck in the snow with a bunch of small kids on the Reserve last night. This isn't the first time I've gotten this message. It happens even when I'm trying to make a local call to a place I'm only 3 kilometers away from on the Reserve. Can you help me?

45 REPLIES 45

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@letscancelwinte  Have re-read this entire thread, and JUST now re-read your 1st post, which leaves me wondering if the spot you were stuck in the snow is in an area that you simply don't have cell reception? Is that possible, i.e. have you previously been able to call from quite near that particular spot? I ask, because where I live, the PM signal is quite poor, and it's only a matter of moving a few meters away, and I can either lose the signal, or reconnect.

@letscancelwinte Just for your future reference, this link will explain how private messages work. When the moderators respond you will need to communicate with them over private messaging. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

As a backup to PM service, Hangouts is one option but there others (I use fongo.com). In particular the Textnow app seems the best, for now, as it has free calling/texting for Canada/USA when in wifi.

Hope your service is fixed soon.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Hi! I have Canada wide calling and yet when I try to make a call from the Maskwacis Reserve north of Ponoka (Alberta) I'm told that I don't have a long distance plan and to call 611 to buy an add on. Not very helpful when I was stuck in the snow with a bunch of small kids on the Reserve last night. This isn't the first time I've gotten this message. It happens even when I'm trying to make a local call to a place I'm only 3 kilometers away from on the Reserve. Can you help me?

Sorry to hear that. That issue should not happen to your serious situation but i suggest you to send to the mod. I think there is something wrong on the telus or bell tower. i can't sure what plan are you using right now. do you use the $15 plan?

letscancelwinte

Unlimited plan for Canada calls. 

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

Very likely that all plan minutes have been consumed. The 5.00, 500 minute add on is an excellent deal.

letscancelwinte

Thank you Luddite the Oracle! Just a note that I had a little trouble at first submitting the ticket because I thought all I had to do was "follow the prompts" until I get to the "Contact Us" button, but after I wrote "I need to submit a ticket" in the question box all went well! Thanks again!

@Luddite wrote:

@letscancelwinte If you have the $15 plan you may have used your outbound calling allowance. Login to your account, confirm it is Active, scroll down to Pans & add-ons and see if you have minutes left.

If that is all good, or you have a $25+ plan, contact the moderators. To get a ticket click https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ and enter your question into SIMon.  Follow/invent prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

As future/current backup, get the Textnow app for free calling/texting on wifi.

letscancelwinte

Thanks muchly! I have just finished submitting a ticket. And I see that the "Accept as Solution" button is back so I will try doing that again. 

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Okay it looks like this is the reply that I should accept as the solution. But first I think a moderator needs to cancel the first one I did! And thanks for the tip on Textnow!

@Luddite wrote:

@letscancelwinte If you have the $15 plan you may have used your outbound calling allowance. Login to your account, confirm it is Active, scroll down to Pans & add-ons and see if you have minutes left.

If that is all good, or you have a $25+ plan, contact the moderators. To get a ticket click https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ and enter your question into SIMon.  Follow/invent prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

@letscancelwinte  Acutally one of the oracles will do it, I'm not sure if one is logged in right now.  I did tag them in an earlier post so whenever they have time they will apply the correct solution for you.

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Okay it looks like this is the reply that I should accept as the solution. But first I think a moderator needs to cancel the first one I did! And thanks for the tip on Textnow!

@Luddite wrote:

@letscancelwinte  Acutally one of the oracles will do it, I'm not sure if one is logged in right now.  I did tag them in an earlier post so whenever they have time they will apply the correct solution for you.

letscancelwinte

No internet out in the middle of nowhere! But thanks!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

This shouldn't happen, but I would say that it might be worthwhile to check if Google Hangouts is setup properly to make outgoing calls. If it is, you would be able to make outgoing calls to regular pone numbers by using any internet conection.

letscancelwinte

@Luddite wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Okay cool! Thanks! Another thing you can't do with a quick reply is use the quote option!

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:
No. I thought I was accepting a solution to a different question in this discussion when I did that. The answer is I guess that I need to submit this problem to a moderator. I don't know if the thing to do is to accept that suggestion as a solution for now, our to wait until a moderator gets involved. I suspect that people get some kind of a reward when you accept their solution. And should I be doing a Bravo to every reply that I find useful? I'm going to do that on this one!

I'm sure one of the oracles will remove the incorrect solution from your post, but yes contact the modertors if any of the other suggestions weren't able to resolve your situation.  Then the first person to suggest contacting the moderator in your thread should receive the solution.  Good luck:)

The quote option is available for either option:)  Top right of post:)

Edit: Ooops, misread your response, ignore:)

letscancelwinte

Okay cool! Thanks! Another thing you can't do with a quick reply is use the quote option!

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:
No. I thought I was accepting a solution to a different question in this discussion when I did that. The answer is I guess that I need to submit this problem to a moderator. I don't know if the thing to do is to accept that suggestion as a solution for now, our to wait until a moderator gets involved. I suspect that people get some kind of a reward when you accept their solution. And should I be doing a Bravo to every reply that I find useful? I'm going to do that on this one!

I'm sure one of the oracles will remove the incorrect solution from your post, but yes contact the modertors if any of the other suggestions weren't able to resolve your situation.  Then the first person to suggest contacting the moderator in your thread should receive the solution.  Good luck:)

@letscancelwinte wrote:

letscancelwinte

Thanks!

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Thanks! What is the idea about "Bravo" and how do I know who I'm Bravo-ing for sure?

@letscancelwinte wrote:

👍. I think I've found the difference between the two reply options. "Reply" gives you a lot of different formatting options while "Quick Reply" doesn't. 

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:
Okay I understand that now. Sorry but I can't see how to un-accept the solution in the the vertical does at the top right.

I haven't done this personally so not quite sure how it works.  Maybe @Luddite or @computergeek541 will unselect the solution for you when they have a few minutes.

The bravos are for saying thanks or a thumbs up for a helpful or interesting post, or something from the poster that you appreciated.  Just a nice gesture that's all.  You can bravo or not, it's not mandatory:)

Edit:  If you want to bravo someone's post just click that bravo option at the bottom left of the post in question.

letscancelwinte

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Thanks! What is the idea about "Bravo" and how do I know who I'm Bravo-ing for sure?

@letscancelwinte wrote:

👍. I think I've found the difference between the two reply options. "Reply" gives you a lot of different formatting options while "Quick Reply" doesn't. 

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:
Okay I understand that now. Sorry but I can't see how to un-accept the solution in the the vertical does at the top right.

I haven't done this personally so not quite sure how it works.  Maybe @Luddite or @computergeek541 will unselect the solution for you when they have a few minutes.

The bravos are for saying thanks or a thumbs up for a helpful or interesting post, or something from the poster that you appreciated.  Just a nice gesture that's all.  You can bravo or not, it's not mandatory:)

Edit:  If you want to bravo someone's post just click that bravo option at the bottom left of the post in question.

letscancelwinte

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@letscancelwinte  That's the best to find out is by experimenting yourself.  Good job:) 

BTW is your phone calling issue resolved now?

letscancelwinte

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

letscancelwinte

Yes I will do that! In the meantime I have gotten sidetracked on how to use this forum! And thank you muchly about the volunteering!

@gblackma wrote:

You are welcome. And way to go with the volunteering @letscancelwinte . To put your answer in with the person that you are answering, you click on their reply to your question and press Quote to attach their message to yours.  We haven't provided an answer to  your original problem. You should follow    @Luddite advice and contact a moderator.

@letscancelwinte wrote:

No not yet. I go to the Reserve weekly as a volunteer to transport kids to programs. No I'm not there now. This has been happening over many weeks. Thanks!

@letscancelwinte wrote:

letscancelwinte

You are welcome. And way to go with the volunteering @letscancelwinte . To put your answer in with the person that you are answering, you click on their reply to your question and press Quote to attach their message to yours.  We haven't provided an answer to  your original problem. You should follow    @Luddite advice and contact a moderator.

@letscancelwinte wrote:

No not yet. I go to the Reserve weekly as a volunteer to transport kids to programs. No I'm not there now. This has been happening over many weeks. Thanks!

@letscancelwinte wrote:

I thought I was accepting your answer to my question about "Reply" and "Quick Reply"!

@dabr wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

What is the difference between "Reply" and "Quick Reply"

I only use "Reply" but it doesn't matter which one you use really.

@letscancelwinte  I'm not sure the solution you selected answers your original question which was probably answered much earlier.  You can unselect the solution by using the 3 dots top right of your post to edit.

But this thread is about your original question about not being able to call even though you have unlimited Canada wide minutes.  Is that issue resolved for you now and who best resolved that issue might be the answer?

letscancelwinte

I thought I was accepting your answer to my question about "Reply" and "Quick Reply"!

@dabr wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@letscancelwinte  I'm not sure the solution you selected answers your original question which was probably answered much earlier.  You can unselect the solution by using the 3 dots top right of your post to edit.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

letscancelwinte

@letscancelwinte wrote:

letscancelwinte

I couldn't immediately see my response to the person on the screen. But now I see that my responses are shown in the thread when someone replies back to that response. Thanks!

@letscancelwinte  Are you still on the reserve now? Have you tried making a call today to see if you are getting the same message? Did you submit a ticket to the moderator as @Luddite suggests  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Told-I-need-a-long-distance-add-on/m-p/...

@letscancelwinte wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@letscancelwinte wrote:

Question: When I make a reply to someone who has responded to me, is that reply seen by just that person, or by everyone who has responded to me? I'm having a hard time following the different threads and when I reply I don't see my response in that person's thread. 

@letscancelwinte  Your responses on the community forum can be seen by everyone here, unless you receive/respond via the private message (envelope icon) then only you and the other party can view those messages.

Why can't I see my responses in that thread? I just replied "Thanks" to you but I can't see that in the thread to confirm that you got it. 

@letscancelwinte   I'm not sure what you mean since you are responding to the messages here.  What aren't you able to see?

Need Help? Let's chat.