cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular option?

dcelest
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to get a Series 3 Apple Watch and am wondering whether it’ll be worth it (or even possible) to get a cellular model with the assumption that Telus support later this year will also apply to the PM network. I know that PM plans don’t typically have “extra frills,” which I’m always happy about, but I need to consider whether I want the cellular model or to switch carriers if that’ll be necessary. Sure, this could be considered an extra frill, but it’s also an issue of compatibility with an expensive device. I know PM may not have the answers at this time but I’m curious to get the discussion going! 

13 REPLIES 13

warpdrive
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PS- I jumped to Telus for the 10gb for $60 deal. I just fired up the apple watch and it works over cellular. The only thing is this, because the 10gb is not sharable the watch can only use the 1gb that comes with the watch plan, which I am fine with. Public Mobile is great, this TELUS deal just works better for me. I still have my wife and daughter on Public Mobile. Just thought Id throw it out there for anybody who is longing for cellular compatibility with the series 3 apple watch.

jigginsmcgee

I hope everyone has noticed this is a cost IN ADDITION to a phone plan.

Just to clarify, it's in addition to your current phone plan. It's not a new phone number or anything like that. An example:

Existing phone plan: $50

Apple Watch LTE addition: $5

Total: $55

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't know if i'd be willing to pay extra for the LTE connection on my watch. Something that I don't really need. I'm happy to stick to a non-cellular version. That being said, I do hope that PM supports it because i'd like to have the option should I choose to fork over the money down the road. Switching to another provider to pay more for a plan is out of the question for me...lol

I hope everyone has noticed this is a cost IN ADDITION to a phone plan. Smiley Sad

But calling folks from my wristwatch does seem veeeerry cool! 😎

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pbt

I am going to get the Series 3 with LTE.  If PM does not support the share option, I might just have to switch to the ones that have, e.g. Telus

denkom

Thanks @ryancology I'm surprised to see the cost so low...expected it to be more around the $10-$15 range. But $5 is actually reasonable. 

jeeva86

It'd be nice for PM to inherit this, but I doubt they will, which sucks :(. I too am interested in the Watch 3. I never considered the watch before but having data on your wrist seems revolutionary. However, I also wouldn't switch carriers for it because my PM plan is amazing!

ryancology

@denkom wrote:

I am curious about this too. Anyone have any guesses/speculation about how much Carrier plans for the Apple Watch (cellular) will be?

It's $5 with Bell for a Smartwatch Plan add-on to an existing plan (Includes NumberShare), Telus is coming later this year and hasn't announced pricing yet. Rogers doesn't exactly have a plethora of LTE coverage so I'm not sure if they will even get it (there's no mention of them from Apple).

Raven_Jet

I think pretty much the big three wil hop on because they want in on the money pie. You don't want to miss out on this new cellular watch to sell data etc.

dcelest

My concern mostly surrounds whether PM will let us do it period, regardless of whether there will be a fee.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would imagine that compatibility should be quite easy.  If Apple puts in a cellular chip that has the same frequency compatibility as the iPhones, that should do it.  With everyone complaining about how expensive cell plans are, do people honestly have enough disposable income to waste on a second and arguably redundant cell plan?

denkom

I am curious about this too. Anyone have any guesses/speculation about how much Carrier plans for the Apple Watch (cellular) will be?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Was kind of hoping David Hasselhoff would make an appearance with a hamburger but I guess that doesn't quite fit Apple's healthy lifestyle Cat LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.