cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This plan change violates The Competition Act!

Theprincipal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile advertised this plan saying that it ill not change the prices. That is not the case, clearly.

Here's what the competition act states:

Misleading warranties and guarantees

The Competition Act prohibits any representation that purports to be a warranty or guarantee of a product, or a promise to replace, maintain or repair an article, or any part of an article, where it is materially misleading or where there is no reasonable prospect that the warranty, guarantee or promise will be carried out.

And

Misleading warranties and guarantees

Paragraph 74.01(1)(c) of the Competition Act is a civil provision. It prohibits the making, or the permitting of the making, to the public, of any materially misleading product warranty or guarantee, or promise to replace, maintain or repair an article. This includes circumstances in which there is no reasonable prospect that the warranty, guarantee or promise will be carried out. Under this provision, it is not necessary to demonstrate that any person was deceived or misled; that any member of the public to whom the representation was made was within Canada; or that the representation was made in a place to which the public had access. Subsection 74.03(5) directs that the general impression conveyed by a representation, as well as its literal meaning, be taken into account when determining whether or not the representation is false or misleading in a material respect.

If a court determines that a person has engaged in conduct contrary to paragraph 74.01(1)(c), it may order the person not to engage in such conduct, to publish a corrective notice and/or to pay an administrative monetary penalty of up to $750,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by an individual and $10,000,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by a corporation. For subsequent orders, the penalties increase to a maximum of $1,000,000 in the case of an individual and $15,000,000 in the case of a corporation.

7 REPLIES 7

jeeva86
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can someone break down the process on the ccts complaint process. The only way we can get more folks to complain is if it’s easy as pie. Maybe someone make a YouTube vid?

Seph
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone have the original document for the promotion that we could use to back up the claim if we file a complaint? Otherwise they will just say the terms were subject to change. 

bliz20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Everyone please submit your complaint to CCTS. This is a government and regulatory body they only start investigation when the complaints reaches certain threshold.

Agreed we all have to take a 2nd step. I didn't switch to bell when they had that 10gb plan. This price hike won't work here like that

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

File that complaint!

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Very, very, interesting development. As I've mentioned in another thread, i've never seen guarantees this concrete before. They literally said it wouldn't change, and there would be no surprises, despite what the fine print may say. Which print overrules the other? they contradict eachother, and are both in writing.

Need Help? Let's chat.