cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These Prices are so low seems like a scam!

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Has anyone had people actually say that Publics prices are so low it seems kinda scammy? 

I have had this 3 times this past month now, where potential new customers don't even believe that Public is real and it is difficult to get past it, they immediately resign it to a scam. 

The other thing that comes up is 3G speed that's trash. 

Can you all help me out with how I respond to these kinds of comments to try and sway them towards Public?

Thank you in advance.

41 REPLIES 41

@mpcdesign thanks for sharing this! This is a great idea, yeah I have two kids at this point that have cell phones. So 4 phones in our house. This is a really great idea, show the savings that you have, maybe even compare it to my previous spending with Bell. 

Thanks for thinking of this!

@Naepalm, I was just thinking, for you I can only imagine that after a month's time with Public Mobile, you may have savings of at least an average of $20 a month, not knowing how many referrals you have (you come from a large family) plus the community reward as well.

This would be an average, but if you showed them how much you have saved after a month, as per your self account, it may get their juices flowing. For example, here is a sample of mine since I started 3 years ago:

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 11.33.12 PM.png

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

EDF3EA5D-76FB-4CC6-A7F2-2573438B240B.png

906809FC-C8FB-4D36-B39D-3905772085A2.png

And here is Australia 

Pre pay plans - tried to quickly find another company other then vodaphone 

F9FC4058-2DFA-4B14-8C5B-0A510E18D54A.png

brettster99

@AE_Collector 

The first picture is a post paid plan in New Zealand 

375C690B-16A0-45FF-B1DC-4007A3FAEE49.png

And here is a pre paid plan 

8955E32D-C739-4132-ACF1-EE5CE44048A7.png

D43B61EE-D26C-4C3C-86F0-C1C1DCD199CF.png

brettster99

@AE_Collector 

I mean granted the US was probably was a poor choice for comparison.

But I think Australia is a better comparison and they have cheaper plans then we do (similar thing were most people here live at border while most people there live on the outskirts of Australia) Or New Zealand which has less people then we do not as compact but they have cheaper plans as well. 

@AE_Collector the Mandela effect, I get it. 

But as one community just point they can get a plan similar to our 25.00 plan for 3.00.....

I'll look into this because I'm a geek and ill post it in the lounge ill compare 30 countries and give you an answer. 🙂

When something is repeated enough it seems to become true. I always have problems with the statement that Canada’s cell service is amongst the highest priced in the world. With so many countries, providers and plans it certainly isn’t difficult to find plans to hold up in comparison to make the point. But how does exchange rates for currency factor in? Canada has a relatively low valued currency against many other countries compared to 5-10 years ago. It seems to me that Phones and network equipment are likely Priced and sold in $US. Building a viable network in Canada for use by 10% as many customers as the US is a huge extra expense. And Canada has higher corporate tax rates, wages and benefits to cover. I am just saying that there are lots of explanations for cell service coming at a higher cost in Canada compared to the US and many other countries.

The idea of “just one more national provider” in Canada solving the problem doesn’t seem likely to me. Canada “sort of” has 4 national providers owning their own networks. It costs Billions to build a decent network. Thus TELUS and Bell share Infrastructure in some locations and the new guy, Freedom Mobile will be years or decades if they Ever equal the big three’s networks. A fifth network based provider? Not going to happen. The US With 10 times the population has four national networks and they are about the drop to three with a merger in progress. Building Another network in Canada can not lower prices further and will likely be responsible for the take over of one if not two of the smaller guys putting Canada back to three providers. 

All just my opinions but I really don’t think I am far off the Mark. In Canada the third tier providers ARE a great deal.

AE_Collector

benfatto

Why is this topic not in the Lounge? 

@BEER no brother I am a customer just like you. 

brettster99

@BearFBI 

I don’t know about you but that to me sounds good. Keep Telus for the “high” prices and the rest and for high networth individuals while the rest of us enjoy the journey to becoming wealthy Laughing out loud 

brettster99

@BEER 

Really? When we tried talking to bell they didn’t do anything. Except for either $50 plan each (two lines) for 2GB of data (before this whole “unlimited” thing and before freedom did there offer that kinda forced the big 3 to offer limited time offer) so $100 for 2GB of data.

Or $40 each ($80) for just text and phone. needless to say we cancelled and been happy on PM ever since. But I did try asking about promotions or discounts at bell the other day and they offered at “best” a $25 text and phone only plan. Which is better then before but still 

BearFBI

@brettster99 wrote:

Another reason why the rest of the world might be cheaper too is that they have MVNO’s which Canada doesn’t really have because the big 3 charge so much to be on the network 

Thats true. The big 3 are definitely aware of dotmobile and their trying to grow their app and accessory shop to impress one of the big 3. I dont see how they could be much cheaper than Public as the big 3 will charge them lots. If they dont charge enough they and their flanker brands would have to lower their prices as dormobile would steal the competition.  But who knows. Pricing is supposed to drop in a couple of years. Public might have to lower their pricing by at least 5$ as their plans will be closely priced to koodo.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Of course ----  I have tried to do the same - but even my wife won't drop her Bell account because she's concerned about poor reception, dropped calls etc. I have tried to explain to her that as far as I know PM shares towers with Bell etc. On the positive side she had called Bell threatening that she may switch and although they did't match PM price they did give her 4G data for free.

brettster99

@BearFBI 

That’s true. I’m on there email list but no new recent updates other then getting 3 companies for cell phone assecories. By the way I seen you on the Reddit public mobile site lol. 

Another reason why the rest of the world might be cheaper too is that they have MVNO’s which Canada doesn’t really have because the big 3 charge so much to be on the network 

BEER

"After all the questions, I usually get i like the lower prices but I think i will stick to my provider, pay a little more."

Sometimes when you call your provider and warn them that you may change they will match or offer other incentives. I have tried this with Bell in the past and they did reduce the price,  but that doesn't sit well with me because they only re-act because I threaten to leave them. I also don't go for stores price matching because again why are they not giving us the same lower price in the first place?

brettster99

@BEER 

From what I know about @Naepalm  he isn’t a retailer.

He is just a customer of PM who wants to share with others about public mobile and at the same time maybe get a little something in return (the friend referral) 

BearFBI

@brettster99 wrote:

If we could just get 1 more national carrier that can’t be bought by the big 3and is supported by people or government or whoever. And they offered the same deals as the rest of the world then you will hopefully a mass exodus to that company scaring the big 3 into dropping prices.

But everyone who has tried are either bought up. Only provincially supported (Vidéorton, Sasktel etc) or regionally supported (Freedom, Fizz etc) 

Who knows what could happen with Dotmobile.

https://dotmobile.app/design

BEER

"I have had this 3 times this past month now, where potential new customers don't even believe that Public is real and it is difficult to get past it, they immediately resign it to a scam. "

Are you a retailer and if yes - what is the company name?

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When I talk to others about PM and saving money, they have many questions. Some of the questions I get asked are as follows

Can I get I get a new phone with that? I tell them PM is prepaid, you supply your own phone. thats one reason they can have lower prices. You think the other companys are giving you a free phone? Your paying for it.

Is it LTE 4g?  tell them its 3g speeds.

If I have trouble can I phone them for help. Tell them you need to come here to the community and see if you can get help from one of us, if not then you need to contact a moderator and that may not happen immediately.

After all the questions, I usually get i like the lower prices but I think i will stick to my provider, pay a little more.

@zblackma thats a good point. Thats much easier to do with in person context. 

brettster99

@Lemony_Snicket 

If you are comparing to the rest of the world then yes. If you are just comparing to Canada then it’s like how can it be so cheap can’t be. All the marketing has kinda made it that way. Either people don’t want to switch or to save money they get US plans.

If we could just get 1 more national carrier that can’t be bought by the big 3and is supported by people or government or whoever. And they offered the same deals as the rest of the world then you will hopefully a mass exodus to that company scaring the big 3 into dropping prices.

But everyone who has tried are either bought up. Only provincially supported (Vidéorton, Sasktel etc) or regionally supported (Freedom, Fizz etc) 

@BenjaminQC I guess the old adage is true you can bring a horse to water but you cant make them drink. 😒

@Lemony_Snicket yeah you might be right but with Public the rewards are something that you can not get anywhere else. We areneing scammed by the big three, we have the highest cell bills in the world. Let that sink in. lol

Lemony_Snicket

Canada has one highest prices for cellular service.  Honestly, I wonder if we are being scammed by this post.  The prices here are reasonable but I would not classify them in the too good to be true category.

zblackma

@Naepalmcall and text them from the scam. You have planted the seed. Watch it to grow. 👍

BenjaminQC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Actually I thought it was a scam at first, because I discovered it through the web, nobody introduced me to it. I went ahead and joined and I'm happy I did! The lack of phone support seems to be a small obstacle to some people, but I would say I love the Pavlovian dog analogy with big companies, as it is the biggest obstacle I've faced! So many people who I've talked to about switching to PM would just dismiss it without any reason whatsoever. I have a colleague on Telus with a special work plan at 20$/month without data, only calls and text. I'm telling him about the 15$ plan at PM and that it would even be further reduced with rewards and that minutes add-ons are really cheap, but he juste says "no". I don't get why people are so reluctant to save money, haha!

brettster99

@gpixel 

I have done indeed and I have applied to service type. No luck.

I’m just glad though that I don’t have an expensive phone plan

@brettster99 have you tried indeed? they've been pretty good. try searching for service type jobs. companies don't want to hire new employees if it's going to reduce the amount of work for their current staff. 

keep searching, you'll get a call back soon. just take what you can get for now and apply for better opportunities in the future.

brettster99

@Naepalm 

You ran an ad? Even I didn’t think of that. But also I can’t really do that because the money is tight. But luckily my mother FINALLY got approved for ODSP after 3 years of back and forth arguing and this time is was going to the tribunal but we got approved before we even had a rescheduled date thanks to our community paralegal.

If only I had the $5 to spare. I’m looking at trying to cut back on so much without sacrificing anything. Like switching to PM. Going down to a cheaper plan (which I’m glad I did as I am only halfway though data and my renewal date is May 17) next plan down is not enough data unfortunately. Been doing surveys and applying everywhere for a job (1. Even though I’m in the high risk category and 2. Not one email or call back Laughing out loud. My resume is really good I swear. I applied to places that just posted that day (which means they are hiring in the midst of Covid-19) probably sent over 100 resumes in person or on job ads.

I’m trying to help anyway I can including financially with my mom. Searching coupons,rakiten, KOHO, lifepoints.

you name it I probably signed up. Anyway I don’t know what I’m going on about Laughing out loud 

@brettster99 I ran an add $5.00 on facebook LMAO! I have no idea I have had a few referrals come through. Figured if I can get 5 people from FB then maybe it'll be worth it right 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.