cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The value of LTE Lite (2.5mbps)

scottdanpor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So my throttling kicked in today.  I had almost 48 hours of full LTE+.  In that time I burned through over 500MB of data testing speeds and apps.

I ran speedtest, with full LTE+ it used 175MB of data

After throttling, it used 5MB for a test.

I remember back to my happy days of 'unlimited web browsing'.  Basically unlimited HSPA with a non smart phone, that I transferred to a real smart phone and it was great.  I could do everything I needed without worry about going over data limits.

Well, I have a limit of 4GB/month, but honestly I'm very happy the throttling kicked in. 

Youtube and other apps will suck up data like crazy when given access to high speeds.  I know it can be limited with some work, but now I don't have to do anything, my phone will automatically use much less data and web browsing is still pleasantly fast.  Youtube is smooth and looks great, 720p looks fine on a 5.5" phone.

Lots of criticism on the throttling I've seen here and people saying it's 1990 speeds.  But the data CAPS are 1990 caps, so the speed to match them compliments.

I debated this extensively, since I had full LTE speeds before, with a 1GB cap.  And I am very happy after the switch.

Those who need full LTE speed:

-Users who simply demand the fastest speeds

-Need the highest quality for streaming video/skype other video calling

-Need super fast upload speed

Personally I think the throttled speed is great for everybody else.  If you're still wondering like I was, unless you're one of the people above, the throttled speed will work great for you.  You'll use your data slower, meaning you can watch many more Youtube videos before you hit the cap and the quality will still look great.

Remember, this is NOT 3G or HSPA.  It has a very low ping and is reliable, as it is a LTE connection.

Updating of apps is noticeably slower, one negative.  But honestly, I NEVER update my apps over mobile data.  That uses up my quota quickly!  I always use Wifi for app and system updates, so this has no impact on me.

Further advice, use an ad blocker.  If you're not rooted, consider paying for Adguard or something similar.  It will save you lots of data by blocking data hungry ads throughout the month, whether on LTE or LTE Lite.

You're fully welcome to disagree with me, but I'm a happy user with what I have now.

3 REPLIES 3

scottdanpor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@smp99 wrote:

I do agree with much of you said, I have seen LTE Lite in use on a tethered laptop and it looked fine. This was in a Huawei B890 hub locked to Telus (yes it works fine) Most of the reviews I have seen on 3G (LTE Lite) have been positive.

My question is this. Because PublicMobile 3G is really LTE Lite, is there really a savings for the carrier. I mean it is still the LTE metwork. 4GB of use on LTE vs 4GB of LTE Lite is still 4GB on the LTE network.  It's not like they will benefit from overage charges. So why even have the distinction? 

But if they are going keep 3G and LTE as separate cost streams, why not offer a large 3G bucket, eg 18GB/90day promo at $120 or $135. If they are going to keep and promote 3G, promote in such a way that people jump on board, both new and existing customers. 

I would guess the cost savings is very small.  They are probably trying to pull customers with it rather than increase ARPU.  It worked for me, I was pulled from a 1GB plan which cost me $3 less than this 12GB/3 month.  Worth it even at this price point.

If they increase the bucket size with a new promotion, I got my sim now and I'm ready for it.  I'll also spread the word to my family and friends if/when that happens and Public Mobile will benefit even more.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I do agree with much of you said, I have seen LTE Lite in use on a tethered laptop and it looked fine. This was in a Huawei B890 hub locked to Telus (yes it works fine) Most of the reviews I have seen on 3G (LTE Lite) have been positive.

My question is this. Because PublicMobile 3G is really LTE Lite, is there really a savings for the carrier. I mean it is still the LTE metwork. 4GB of use on LTE vs 4GB of LTE Lite is still 4GB on the LTE network.  It's not like they will benefit from overage charges. So why even have the distinction? 

But if they are going keep 3G and LTE as separate cost streams, why not offer a large 3G bucket, eg 18GB/90day promo at $120 or $135. If they are going to keep and promote 3G, promote in such a way that people jump on board, both new and existing customers. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good thoughts on the subject. I dont know about 1990 speed since they only had 2G and SMS back then. If someone wants/needs LTE speed data there are plans for that (unlike Chatr etc).

Need Help? Let's chat.