cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Mayor / Maire

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@will13am wrote:

I have nothing but good things to say about hangouts for voice quality.  I hope google doesn't shelve it. 


@will13am will be interesting to see what happens with it.  They seem to be transitioning Hangouts into a business-oriented tool and shying away from it for personal use.  I suspect they want to move us all to RCS for messaging (since theyhave also sunsetted Allo just the other day (yesterday, in fact, I think) along with Duo for video chatting.  If they would only offer Google Fi here this would probably tie in the Hangouts Dialer functionality and that's where it will persist beyond Hangouts' demise.  

 

@bridonca thanks for the Fongo feedback.  I may give it another kick at the can soon.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!

@CalgaryBen sounds like there's still no Holy Grail eh?  TextNow sounds interesting, I should check it out.  Maybe one day they'll add Canadian number portability? 


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@srlawren wrote:

 

PS I'm not sure what the status of Hangouts dialer is currently, but I now for a while the outbound caller ID wasn't working.  I think it was @computergeek541 that told me about that.  It might have been a temp issue though.


Earlier, people were saying that outgoing call display wasn't working on Hangouts.  That wasn't my experience.  It did give some strange error messages if the outgong number display was already enabled about number not being verified or something like that even though it was. 

 

I do remember reverifying the number, yet hangouts would still not let me adjust the setting to turn outgoing phone number display back on.  However, what I will say is that I believe that the phone number absolutely did still get transmitted, but you couldn't just turn the furture on or off.

 

The reason I knew that is because when I was calling a long ditsance calling service access number, they base your access completely on your the call display information.  This long distance company still knew it was me, despite the call display function reportedly being "broken". 

 

This is all based on my memory, so it might not be exactly what happend, but rather just how I recall it.

Oracle

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I have nothing but good things to say about hangouts for voice quality.  I hope google doesn't shelve it. 


@will13am will be interesting to see what happens with it.  They seem to be transitioning Hangouts into a business-oriented tool and shying away from it for personal use.  I suspect they want to move us all to RCS for messaging (since theyhave also sunsetted Allo just the other day (yesterday, in fact, I think) along with Duo for video chatting.  If they would only offer Google Fi here this would probably tie in the Hangouts Dialer functionality and that's where it will persist beyond Hangouts' demise.  

 

@bridonca thanks for the Fongo feedback.  I may give it another kick at the can soon.


I am so used to it, I don't know what to do if google takes hangouts away from me.  Maybe I will have to do something dramatic like switch to iOS!  Seriously, the app just works.  A good friend is travelling through the EU and he found out that his EE service that was purchased in the UK only provides free roaming data but not calling.  We chat on hangouts and call quality is identical to a phone call. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

 

PS I'm not sure what the status of Hangouts dialer is currently, but I now for a while the outbound caller ID wasn't working.  I think it was @computergeek541 that told me about that.  It might have been a temp issue though.


Earlier, people were saying that outgoing call display wasn't working on Hangouts.  That wasn't my experience.  It did give some strange error messages if the outgong number display was already enabled about number not being verified or something like that even though it was. 

 

I do remember reverifying the number, yet hangouts would still not let me adjust the setting to turn outgoing phone number display back on.  However, what I will say is that I believe that the phone number absolutely did still get transmitted, but you couldn't just turn the furture on or off.

 

The reason I knew that is because when I was calling a long ditsance calling service access number, they base your access completely on your the call display information.  This long distance company still knew it was me, despite the call display function reportedly being "broken". 

 

This is all based on my memory, so it might not be exactly what happend, but rather just how I recall it.


I would guess if you already had the feature working on previous updates, and you had caller ID running, when you got the lastest update, around 10 months ago to last month, hangouts could not change the status of the caller ID.  If you already had it enabled, it stayed enabled, if you had to re verify, which I often did, it would not work.  It was only last month that google provided a hangouts dialer that had the caller ID work properly.

 

For me, it was a good idea at the time.  I had a FIDO voice only plan I was paying $15 a month for, that I had on a flip phone, and a data only plan on my smart phone.  with Hangouts, I could use my smart phone to make voice calls through data, and the reciever on the other end would be none the wiser. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen sounds like there's still no Holy Grail eh?  TextNow sounds interesting, I should check it out.  Maybe one day they'll add Canadian number portability? 


All the individual pieces to make up the Holy Grail are there, but just not unified into a single app/solution!  For people less picky than myself, it may already exist!  TextNow works well (plus free voice, SMS, and MMS), but it also consumes a lot of data, so that becomes a negative strike (not sure if its the codec, or the abundance of ads).

 

For a 1 minute test call I made, Fongo used 0.7 MB, Hangouts used 1.4 MB, while TextNow used 6.5 MB of cellular data.  So Fongo is a clear winner.  Only knock against Fongo is the paid SMS add-ons, and lack of MMS (not a huge deal-breaker in the context of this $15 ($13) plan though, with unlimited SMS/MMS).  The Fongo vs. Hangouts results could explain duplex issues... I haven't used either for real life scenarios, so can't speak to the overall reliability... but from my tests, I couldn't differentiate audio quality on any of the apps with an actual voice call.

 


@will13am wrote:

I am so used to it, I don't know what to do if google takes hangouts away from me.  Maybe I will have to do something dramatic like switch to iOS!  Seriously, the app just works.

👍  I certainly had to do something dramatic to get Hangouts' Outbound Caller ID working on iOS (for whatever reason you can't verify your number from the iOS app)... had to install Hangouts 24.0 on an Android device (used an emulator on Windows), set things up in there and perform number verification (even though mine was already "verified"), and only then was I able to have Outbound Caller ID actually work on iOS.  But this makes me happy!  And Hangouts handles WiFi <--> Cell Data handoffs marvelously.  So it's an excellent fit.

 

Credit to @computergeek541 in this post for mentioning Hangouts 24 and reinforcing this detail that I've also read on the Hangouts section of the Google Product Forums.  Verifying my number from Hangouts 24 seems to have enabled some invisible flag to truly allow Caller ID to show up.  I'd tried verifying my number previously on Hangouts 27 on Android, and despite it showing as "verified" and enabled, it's never actually appeared on the called party's end.

 

rc0
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!

Does anyone know if this plan will be around for at least a few more weeks? I just ported myself over yesterday from Petro-Canada Mobility, and I will move my wife's service once her month comes up early April. But I don't want to miss the boat. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@rc0 wrote:

Does anyone know if this plan will be around for at least a few more weeks? I just ported myself over yesterday from Petro-Canada Mobility, and I will move my wife's service once her month comes up early April. But I don't want to miss the boat. 


My guess is that it will still be available. Judging from the popularity of this plain I suspect that PM will make it a regular offering.

Mayor / Maire

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@rc0 wrote:

Does anyone know if this plan will be around for at least a few more weeks? I just ported myself over yesterday from Petro-Canada Mobility, and I will move my wife's service once her month comes up early April. But I don't want to miss the boat. 


 @rc0 

You could always set up a new activation and then when ready port the number over. Don't forget the other referral promo until this Monday of $25 for both of you. You refer her to here. Smiley Happy

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!


@srlawren wrote:

@bridonca I guess using Hangouts for all your outbound calls, you could leave your 100 mins for answering your incoming calls.  Kind of novel approach!

 

PS I'm not sure what the status of Hangouts dialer is currently, but I now for a while the outbound caller ID wasn't working.  I think it was @computergeek541 that told me about that.  It might have been a temp issue though.


The other cool thing about using Hangouts (with Outbound Caller ID enabled) is that you can call the voicemail access number (###-580-4001) in Hangouts and it will treat you as if you called using the native phone (so if you've turned off the need to enter your passcode for VM, for example, you'll immediately be dropped into the message menu).  And of course, it saves minutes otherwise consumed during VM retrieval if done using the voice plan.

 

A bit of a hack is that if someone calls you and you're running low on minutes (consumed most of your metered minutes) and you need to conserve them, you could let the caller go to VM (no consumption of minutes), you can retrieve the VM using Hangouts (if desired), and call the person back via Hangouts.

 

Anyone know what happens when you run out of minutes, and someone calls you?  (i.e. do they get a fast busy, silence/drop, VM, or something else?).  If not, I'll have to give this a try on one of my $10/50 min lines when it's near the end of the cycle...