cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The new $13 plan is truely amazing!

On it's face, 100 minutes, unlimited pictures and texts, and the bonus 250 megs of data are impressive, but the data is what makes things interesting.  With Fongo, 250 megs gets you around 500 minutes of calling.  You want to make calls with your Public Mobile number on the caller ID?  Use Google Hangouts Dialer.  Uses the same bandwidth as Fongo!  Through wifi, and the calls are unlimited!

Re: The new $13 plan is truely amazing!

@bridonca wrote:

On it's face, 100 minutes, unlimited pictures and texts, and the bonus 250 megs of data are impressive, but the data is what makes things interesting.  With Fongo, 250 megs gets you around 500 minutes of calling.  You want to make calls with your Public Mobile number on the caller ID?  Use Google Hangouts Dialer.  Uses the same bandwidth as Fongo!  Through wifi, and the calls are unlimited!

@bridonca, I agree this is a great plan primarly for families looking for a plan for their younger kids.

Mayor / Maire

@bridonca wrote:

@bridonca I guess using Hangouts for all your outbound calls, you could leave your 100 mins for answering your incoming calls.  Kind of novel approach!

Have you used Fongo a lot?  Were you able to dial in the settings so that the quality was good?  I've not spent a lot of time on it but have issues with dropouts in the audio, and full duples seems to be problematic when both people are speaking at the same time.  I'd be curious to hear if you've had better results.

PS I'm not sure what the status of Hangouts dialer is currently, but I now for a while the outbound caller ID wasn't working.  I think it was @computergeek541 that told me about that.  It might have been a temp issue though.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@bridonca I guess using Hangouts for all your outbound calls, you could leave your 100 mins for answering your incoming calls.  Kind of novel approach!

Have you used Fongo a lot?  Were you able to dial in the settings so that the quality was good?  I've not spent a lot of time on it but have issues with dropouts in the audio, and full duples seems to be problematic when both people are speaking at the same time.  I'd be curious to hear if you've had better results.

PS I'm not sure what the status of Hangouts dialer is currently, but I now for a while the outbound caller ID wasn't working.  I think it was @computergeek541 that told me about that.  It might have been a temp issue though.

@srlawren, I can confirm that the outbound caller ID works now without any issues.

Oracle

My experience with Fongo has been that quality improves with increasing distance; no idea why but makes it great for calling across/between countries. Full duplex is missing now and then. Given that the new $25/plan is so reasonable, I would not use Fongo as my only phone connection.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite wrote:

My experience with Fongo has been that quality improves with increasing distance; no idea why but makes it great for calling across/between countries. Full duplex is missing now and then. Given that the new $25/plan is so reasonable, I would not use Fongo as my only phone connection.

Thanks @Luddite. That's kind of the conclusion I came to as well, when I was considering going data-only.  I think that the holy grail of customer flexibility would be to port your number into Fongo or another VoIP provider and then going data-only.  Then you could pick any carrier that suited your needs at the time, easily travel internationally needing only a data-only SIM at your destination, where people can text and call you just like you're at home.  But my limited testing quickly shyed me away from that idea. I don't think we're there yet, but one day!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

Thanks @Luddite. That's kind of the conclusion I came to as well, when I was considering going data-only.  I think that the holy grail of customer flexibility would be to port your number into Fongo or another VoIP provider and then going data-only.  Then you could pick any carrier that suited your needs at the time, easily travel internationally needing only a data-only SIM at your destination, where people can text and call you just like you're at home.  But my limited testing quickly shyed me away from that idea. I don't think we're there yet, but one day!!

@srlawren, almost did that myself before joining Public Mobile.  I still have my VoIP.ms account setup, but I've not actually used it in over a year.  A data-only plan still isn't priced right for me without having to jump through hoops to get the really good deals on them.

@srlawren wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

The LTE is the secret sauce.  If got a good signal, I have no issues with Fongo on Public Mobile LTE.   I notice Fongo works better on newer phones.   With my LG G6, I notice no problems in quality at all.

If you are getting an echo effect, try a headset.  Sometimes Fongo cannot use the phone's echo cancelling algorithm, and you are getting feedback from your phone.  I have had that issue with older phones, not with the LG G6.  I am not sure if it is Fongo that is updated, or the phones are better

Google finally updated their hangouts dialer so the caller ID bug is gone.  It is even better, I can use any device I have tied to my gmail account, and it will use my cell phone caller ID when making hangouts calls.

Oracle

I am a very heavy hangouts user, both for messaging and calls.  Since I use the google account instead of a phone number, I was not aware that the dialer was not doing caller ID properly.  I also use google voice with the phone dialer for making long distance calls.  That has always worked.  I have nothing but good things to say about hangouts for voice quality.  I hope google doesn't shelve it. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Random thoughts...

(sigh) I wish the iOS version of Hangouts would support outbound Caller ID!  Still says disabled for "security reasons"... Smiley Frustrated  EDIT: Figured out how to enable it... had to install Hangouts 24.0 (not latest version) on an Android device, verify my phone number there (even though my number has already been verified on later versions at some point), and then I was able to dial out on my iOS version of Hangouts with my Caller ID!

I liked Fongo for what it achieves, but it does not do WiFi <--> Cell Data handoffs (calls get dropped), and the folks on the support forum suggest it could be put on the wish list, but also conveyed that nobody should hold their breath for new features.  For me that would be a deal-breaker (use case... you're on a phone call while on the road, get home, walk into your house, and the call gets dropped as you switch to WiFi).  The other thing that sucks is Fongo's ~$25 to port a number in or out (was considering it as a way to have a phone inside my phone, so I wouldn't have to carry around 2 phones as I do now).

TextNow is a great compromise (great sound quality and it does do WiFi <--> Cell Data handoffs), but not sure if it's a heavy user of data.  It's full of ads (which would be a waste of data), which I'd happy pay to remove ($39.99/yr, but not sure if that's USD or CAD).  Unfortunately they don't do porting of Canadian numbers (although they do offer Canadian area codes if you're willing to take a new number), so this made it a deal-breaker for my use (needed to port a business number).  TextNow does do MMS however, whereas Fongo does not.