cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best solution for short out of province trips?

ShawnHartwell
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone,

I have been loving the Public Mobile service since I switched from Fido about two months ago. I live in Quebec and subscribe to province-wide calling because I don't have the need for canada-wide calling.

I will be visiting Vancouver during spring break for about 6 to 7 days. I do not need the ability to call or receive calls from back home in Quebec beyond this period of travel. What would be the best solution that would allow for calling and receiving calls from family and friends located in Quebec?

12 REPLIES 12

boywithnoname
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Some really good options in this thread to note. Good to know whenever I go out of province.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi - You asked for the 'best' solution for out of province calliing

Easiest - add a LongDist add-on - it will just work

Free - set up a Fongo account (use same town that your PM number currently has). Call Fwd your PM number to Fongo to receive calls, your Fongo App will 'ring' -  (may not be neccessary if receive LD bug is still working, allowing you to receive calls across Cda). Assuming you have Android or iPhone, to make calls, use Hangouts. You will need a Gmail acct for this. 

Kroff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Agreed! I found this thread helpful- thanks for asking the question! 😊

spaceman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is perfect. I was looking for a solution to this issue.

Thanks!

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As @will13am said, forward you number to fongo before lwleavi your home province. That way your phone will ring.

To make calls, you could use fongo but a better option is Hangouts (note calls out from Hangouts works to both Canada and the US)

ShawnHartwell

This sounds like a great solution that should work on both mobile data and wifi access. I will be staying in local hostels which always have wifi wifi access.

I will look into this service thanks!

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As Luddite mentioned, best way is to get an add-on: either $8 for 200 mins (US & Canada) or $15 for 400 International mins (including US & Canada).  Texting is free and you may want to use it if there is no need for a call.  

@ShawnHartwellwrote:

Interesting option indeed. I am a bit weary of using any Skype service because the last time I subscribed and later canceled the Skype number I was/am still being charged a subscription fee.

Maybe I should get in touch with their customer support to resolve my exisiting problem and register a solution for the duration of this trip.

A lot of people like Fongo because they issue a Canadian number.  My preference is hangouts.  Hangouts will make the call appear as if it is made via your actual cell number.  That way if say the other party was unable to pick up, they will have the right missed call information in the call logs.  They can call back and you would answer a free call.

ShawnHartwell

Interesting option indeed. I am a bit weary of using any Skype service because the last time I subscribed and later canceled the Skype number I was/am still being charged a subscription fee.

Maybe I should get in touch with their customer support to resolve my exisiting problem and register a solution for the duration of this trip.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have to mention this, the official party line is that long distance minutes are consumed when receiving calls while situated outside of the home province.  However, the reality is calls received while outside the home office do not consume long distance minutes.  So, only calling back home will require add on minutes.  One option for calling back home is to use calling apps like whatsapp, hangouts, fongo to name a few.  These apps consume nominal amounts of data per minute (~ 1 Mbtye/minute).   

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnHartwell depending on phone, I would argue a Skype / Facetime etc like program is easist

Your data will work cross Canada

And that way no additional expenses for long distance minutes

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

By far the easiest is the 400 minute $15 long distance add-on. Lasts until you've used all 400 minutes.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.