cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Cost of Temporary Upgrades and Downgrades

BWV565
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know I'll be needing more than my 1GB of monthly data this summer, but paying the $30 for 1GB add-on seems pretty steep. I'm currently paying $25/month for 500MB plus 500MB bonus.  Why wouldn't I just pay an extra $15 and temporarily switch to the $40 plan and get an extra 4GB/month, then after a couple of months switch back to my $25 plan?  Would I lose the 500MB bonus when I switch back to my $25 plan?  I presume my $2 autopay reward would remain intact.  Am I missing something?

10 REPLIES 10

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BWV565 wrote:

I know I'll be needing more than my 1GB of monthly data this summer, but paying the $30 for 1GB add-on seems pretty steep. I'm currently paying $25/month for 500MB plus 500MB bonus.  Why wouldn't I just pay an extra $15 and temporarily switch to the $40 plan and get an extra 4GB/month,

@BWV565  Actually the $40.00 plan gives you 4.5GB + Bonus 500MB with AutoPay.

then after a couple of months switch back to my $25 plan?  Would I lose the 500MB bonus when I switch back to my $25 plan?  I presume my $2 autopay reward would remain intact.  Am I missing something?

@BWV565  Yes, AutoPay remains intact because it is associated with the account. The 500 MB bonus is not lost in fact all PM ready made talk/text/data plans $25 and up currently offer the AutoPay 500MB bonus.  The danger is that the $25.00 plan might not be available when you are ready to switch back. A good way to protect yourself from that happening is to schedule a plan change on next renewal and if the plan is still available cancel the plan change before your renewal and repeat for the next period.

The $25 plan is currently on my recently activated 'backup' device.  I'm actually downgrading it after my renewal on the 14th, to the $15 limited calling, unlimited SMS/MMS with 250mb (if it still exists that is...

As I was testing a new phone out, I picked the $25 plan so I could test the new phone with 1 GB of data at LTE Lite speeds to see if it was suitable for me.  I personally don't like the throttled data, as my new device actually uses more LTE+ bands that my previous device(s) couldn't, so I'm keeping my daily driver running on my Fall Promo.

I'm renewing the $25 for the next 30 days only because I have $14 in activation and autopay rewards to be applied, making the top up on $11.  Next cycle it will (fingers crossed) $13 going forward.

If I can't get the $15, I'll grab the $10, as it's 'only' a backup plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mojorising wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mojorising wrote:

The chances of the the $25/1GB a month plan being around that far down the road is very slim since its a promo plan.

Well...it doesn't actually say promo anywhere but yes it did come and go and come again so it *could* disappear. I wouldn't say slim though.

You are correct. I looked back and it's a "Limited Time offer". Not so limited for me because this is the plan I changed to and plan on keeping. Too good to pass up and I don't need the big data anymore since a lot of places now offer free wifi. I was at Canada's Wonderland on the weekend and even they have wifi throughout the park! Surprisingly reliable connection!

Plan details:

$25 for 1 GB at 3G speed (Limited Time Offer)

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

Oh crap...you're right. I looked at that even and apparently just scanned it. I even missed the topic title of changing promotional plans. Bad me for scanning. My apologies.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@mojorising wrote:

The chances of the the $25/1GB a month plan being around that far down the road is very slim since its a promo plan.

Well...it doesn't actually say promo anywhere but yes it did come and go and come again so it *could* disappear. I wouldn't say slim though.

You are correct. I looked back and it's a "Limited Time offer". Not so limited for me because this is the plan I changed to and plan on keeping. Too good to pass up and I don't need the big data anymore since a lot of places now offer free wifi. I was at Canada's Wonderland on the weekend and even they have wifi throughout the park! Surprisingly reliable connection!

Plan details:

$25 for 1 GB at 3G speed (Limited Time Offer)

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mojorising wrote:

Edit: WRONG! (promo part 🙂 )

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Aren't all plans subject to chane without notice? The risk is they get rid of the $25 plan the day after you switch. Then again that $40 plan could disappear tomorrow too, so you could get stuck either way.

@kelvarnsen correct: all plans could disappear from availability at any time.  If the $25 plan disappeared, the OP would not be able to get it back after having switched to the $40 plan.

@mojorising wrote:

@mojorising well, it has already disappeared at least once and returned.  As long as Lucky or Chatr keep offering it, PM is likely to keep matching it.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@BWV565 wrote:

I know I'll be needing more than my 1GB of monthly data this summer, but paying the $30 for 1GB add-on seems pretty steep. I'm currently paying $25/month for 500MB plus 500MB bonus.  Why wouldn't I just pay an extra $15 and temporarily switch to the $40 plan and get an extra 4GB/month, then after a couple of months switch back to my $25 plan?  Would I lose the 500MB bonus when I switch back to my $25 plan?  I presume my $2 autopay reward would remain intact.  Am I missing something?

You're missing nothing. You can switch plans around all you want. If you're on a promo plan then it might not be available anymore and you can't get it back. If you like your money then make sure to change it at the time of your renewal.

Edit: the "bonus" data is on the plan. Changing plans would lose it. Changing back would regain it.

Aren't all plans subject to chane without notice? The risk is they get rid of the $25 plan the day after you switch. Then again that $40 plan could disappear tomorrow too, so you could get stuck either way.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BWV565 wrote:

Good idea. You may loose the current bonus 500MB data, but there's usually another pop-up deal right round the corner. Autopay stays as long as your cc is on file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BWV565 wrote:

You're missing nothing. You can switch plans around all you want. If you're on a promo plan then it might not be available anymore and you can't get it back. If you like your money then make sure to change it at the time of your renewal.

Edit: the "bonus" data is on the plan. Changing plans would lose it. Changing back would regain it.

Need Help? Let's chat.