cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting with pictures

Eister
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a new (happy) member trying to figure out the “texting with pictures” feature on my $15. Plan.  It is not a problem so far for me, as I also have the bonus 250 mb of data.  But I would like to understand what’s happening.

I have an iPhone 6s plus and when I text it shows as free SMS text, but when I text and add photos from my pictures album it shows as MMS and counts against my 250 mb data allotment.  

I do understand MMS is a data designation, but I also thought “texting with pictures” was free....so am confused.  It will not send a text with pictures unless I turn on my data setting.  Can it not be activated from PM end,  or is it in my settings?

Thanks very much for any input. 

21 REPLIES 21

Eister

@ecowen wrote:

I have an iPhone 5s and I've been texting with pictures since I opened my account.  However, I'm going to see if all the texts with pictures have been sent to recipients with iPhones.  Maybe your data is used when texting pictures to non iPhone recipients. 

Interesting theory.  I always had my data turned off until I sent a text with pictures, as that was the only way it would send, so know that was what triggered my 5 mb of data use.  But I sent the text to a business and don’t know if the recipient had an IPhone or android.

ecowen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have an iPhone 5s and I've been texting with pictures since I opened my account.  However, I'm going to see if all the texts with pictures have been sent to recipients with iPhones.  Maybe your data is used when texting pictures to non iPhone recipients. 

Eister

Thank you!  This is my first IPhone and for 2yrs previously had a Samsung android, so rather an amateur and all advice is appreciated. 😉

I'm always happy to help if I can...although I do believe I have a Mac brain I'm all android.

Reach out whenever you need...were here to help.

Out of 20 apps only 3 are fully enabled cloud, operating system and text msgs. The other 20 are on data saving with the background enabled.  Biggest app data usage in descending order (10 days)

Maps 2.55 mb photos 1.98mb Google 1.98mb pc optimum 1.55mb and O.S. 1.28 mb everything else is 500kb -447b yes just a b. Decide what you need... the most important of mine use about 30mb a month lots leftover out of your 250 mb bonus.

Eister

Thank you, I will try turning all those off as well as the iMessage!

Eister

If imsg. is not a necessity I will turn it off and see if that solves the issue next time.  Thank you!

@Eister wrote:

I originally tried to send the text incl. pictures with my data turned off, but it would not send until I turned my data setting on.  Then counted it as mms, 1 event, and deducted about 5 mb data.

You cannot send mms without data on. I know because I had a data block for years. When telus accidently took it off I got my first picture message instead of an undownloadable  blank message. It used no data. If you look under your detailed data usage all mms msgs are recorded with 0 data in the data column on that page. I have 20 apps almost all on data saving but with at least background data on...like text, email, maps os ,phone etc....they all use minor amounts of data?.

In 10 days...facebook 4.19mb,  Samsung internet 4.97mb,photos 1.98mb, maps 2.55 etc... if you don't want use any data you have to turn everything off but text, phone and the operating system.

Eister

I originally tried to send the text incl. pictures with my data turned off, but it would not send until I turned my data setting on.  Then counted it as mms, 1 event, and deducted about 5 mb data.

@Eister wrote:

For 2 texts with pictures it deducted about 10 mb off my 250 mg data allotment.  Does that sound normal?  Also when I checked the “my plan description” it stated unlimited international texting, but made no mention of picture texting.  I thought maybe it wasn’t necessary if it is always included in the $15. Plan.  But now I am wondering if that feature somehow wasn’t activated for me?

MMS does not use your data amounts. However, if you use iMessage and the message gets sent through Apple's servers, that data usage does count.  Also, there are other programs that can be used to send pictures. Whether these apps are sending such pictures as MMS or as an instant message depends om the programming of the software.

Eister

Sorry, not certain if this is what you mean, but under settings/cellular data I see wifi assist and icloud off.  However Safari, contacts, settings, notes, mail, maps, phone, find my phone and photos are on.  Should everything be off?

I'm guessing you cycled you data to send the message. This 5 mb is a handshake sort of thing for the system and it is said that most of this gets returned to you. 

The MMS itself should say 0.

Eister

I did check under my data & add ons “usage” and it shows 1 event occurred to the number I texted with pictures and at the same time my data allotment became 5 mb less.  

@Eister wrote:

For 2 texts with pictures it deducted about 10 mb off my 250 mg data allotment.  Does that sound normal?  Also when I checked the “my plan description” it stated unlimited international texting, but made no mention of picture texting.  I thought maybe it wasn’t necessary if it is always included in the $15. Plan.  But now I am wondering if that feature somehow wasn’t activated for me?

Did that show in your detailed text usage and correlate with your data usage. Or could have something else have used your data like your photo app?

By your theory I have 25 mms msgs = 41mb and I leave my mobile data on for maps etc....your data usage is probably from apps with background permissions on go thru your phone and check each one.....

Eister

@Eister wrote:

Hi and thanks for suggestions.

I am on auto pay but when I check my “account usage” a text message with pictures does cause my 250mb data total to go down.  Also I checked all my settings are turned on for data, imsg., sms & mms msg.

There is miniscule data used when first activating also called ghost data.  Unless you use data or have some apps with data permission on you will not see it increase using mms. And set all your back up of photos to WiFi only. I take a zillion pictures send quite a few and in 10 days I've used 41mb/ 5gb and I have mobile data on but I've used about 3gb of WiFi backing up photos and another .75 on other apps in the same time period.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eister wrote:

I am on auto pay but when I check my “account usage” a text message with pictures does cause my 250mb data total to go down.  Also I checked all my settings are turned on for data, imsg., sms & mms msg.

The counter might bump up a little due to apps checking things and also a little buffer of data gets taken and eventually mostly returned. But MMS shouldn't consume your data.

Eister

Anonymous
Not applicable

What he said. Apple and their iMessage are in their own little world.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Eister wrote:

Just a new (happy) member trying to figure out the “texting with pictures” feature on my $15. Plan.  It is not a problem so far for me, as I also have the bonus 250 mb of data.  But I would like to understand what’s happening.

I have an iPhone 6s plus and when I text it shows as free SMS text, but when I text and add photos from my pictures album it shows as MMS and counts against my 250 mb data allotment.  

I do understand MMS is a data designation, but I also thought “texting with pictures” was free....so am confused.  It will not send a text with pictures unless I turn on my data setting.  Can it not be activated from PM end,  or is it in my settings?

Thanks very much for any input. 

@Eister 

1. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data and make sure it is ON.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure iMessage is ON
  3. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure SMS messaging is ON.
  4. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure MMS messaging is turned on

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Indeed texting pictures does require data however that data is routed in a different manner and is not taken from your 250mb if you're on auto-pay.

Need Help? Let's chat.