cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting to USA?

mmbiker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $40plan, can I text to USA for free?

26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@helenhelen 

Define abroad. Public Mobile services are for while in Canada only. You can buy roaming add-ons for the US only. There are no "big charges".

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

does this mean you cannot text any number at all when abroad, without the roaming add on or the big charges?

Mimi33

I think refreshing my account may have triggered a fix as that was SiMon's suggestion. Unfortunately I can't give him a bravo.

@Mimi33  You need to make sure SMS is enabled within iMessage

Mimi33

Thank you Nezgar and Hairbag.  All is working.  Appreciate all you have done. Feels a lot better knowing I can contact ppl in our country and hotels along the US route. Heard that some gas stations are out of regual gas and only have premium.  If that is the worst issue I will be happy.

If you have duplicate texting add-ons...that's likely the cause of the problem. Contact moderator to fix.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Another option is a free voip app like TextNow. Works for free calls and texts as long as you're connected to wifi somewhere...most Walmarts, cafes and bars have free wifi now.

Mimi33

Thanks to Hairbag.  He had me try some things.  Will try Simon and hopefully get texting issue solved quickly. 

Look for the (?) Icon in the bottom right to start a chat with the SIMon bot, then type account specific issue, should direct you to a ticket creation form for the moderators.

Mimi33

Turned phone off and on.  I can receive texts but cannot send.  I asked Nezgar for help getting to a moderator. I am with AT&T and calls work great. I originally purchased texts only and then purchased $20 add-on for talk, text and a bit of data.

Mimi33

Both data and roaming are enabled

Make certain that data is enabled on your phone.

Cycle phone off for a moment...then back on.

Mimi33

Hello Nezgar

Caling works but I can not send texts.  States iMessaging needs to be enabled which it is. Not sure how to get a moderator. Have not done that

@Mimi33...you might have to manually select either of AT&T or T-Mobile whichever network works best for you.

Mimi33

I will try some testing.  Thanks Nezgar

Cheers @Mimi33 ! I've only heard of problems when you double-up on VOICE add-on's so hopefully you're OK. Just do some quick tests sending and receiving texts before you hit the road, and if it works you're good. If not, you'll need to contact a moderator to remove the text-only add-on.

Also double check that calls work, and last for more than 30 seconds (which is the issue that happens when doubling-up voice add-ons)

Mimi33

I just purchased the bundle at $20.00 however I had already paid $8 for texting....before I knew about the generousity of PM.  Hope this doesn't mess up my plan. Again, thanks a bunch.

Mimi33

Wish I could give you 10 bravo's for this quick and amazing reply.  Sure helps as I mentioned, just no time do do research or keep up with the latest on PM.  Fleeing the USA as fast as we can. Support is everything!!

@Mimi33 wrote:

Should I add on the 10 calling from USA add on also.  Sorry I have not researched this but just no time. Making a very quick exit outta here.

Add all the USA roaming add-ons you think you might need, as Public Mobile just announced today that they will be credited back as long as you actually use them:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Public-Mobile-response-to-COVID-19/m-p/...

Mimi33

Hi

We are leaving Florida in a few hours. This morning I added $8 texting add-on. $25 in effect. Will texts from USA to Canadian numbers work if I don't have a roaming package and phone use while travelling home?  Should I add on the 10 calling from USA add on also.  Sorry I have not researched this but just no time. Making a very quick exit outta here

All plans $15 and up have unlimited  international text and picture messaging while you are in Canada.

turky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do picture messages not go through to international destinations? They should. I have found that Data has to be on to send MMS picture texts but thought that they went through to US locations

Has anyone checked to see if picture texts go through to US?

There are some exceptions I've heard of, like some foreign banks unable to send texts to Public Mobile numbers, picture messages not getting through to international recipients, and the canadian shortcode for twitter (21212 or 40404) do not work

@Nezgar 

I tried a picture text to US and it went through ok Tu

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

All current plans, even the current $15 plan, include unlimited global text & picture messaging.

There are some exceptions I've heard of, like some foreign banks unable to send texts to Public Mobile numbers, picture messages not getting through to international recipients, and the canadian shortcode for twitter (21212 or 40404) do not work.

Karnbot13

@gjong26 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.  My brother was in town from Texas and was sending him texts and MMS.  After he left I continued to send messages while wondering if I was going in incur any charges.  If you go into your self-serve you can view your usage history and it shows any additonal charges there.  When I check everything showed $0.  

Bonus for being with PM!

Public is prepaid. There are no additional charges for use. If you haven't paid for the service, it doesn't work until you do. End of story. 

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was wondering the same thing.  My brother was in town from Texas and was sending him texts and MMS.  After he left I continued to send messages while wondering if I was going in incur any charges.  If you go into your self-serve you can view your usage history and it shows any additonal charges there.  When I check everything showed $0.  

Bonus for being with PM!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

As long as you're in Canada you can text globally around the world for free.

If you're in USA you would need to buy a USA roaming add-on.

If you need to buy a USA roaming add-on its two steps. Guide below.

Guide Click Me. 

Edit,: Ninja'd 😝 @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mmbiker wrote:

I have the $40plan, can I text to USA for free?

Yes. Worldwide too.

Need Help? Let's chat.