cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting from Greece

jhen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am unable to send and receive text from Greece.   I have unlimited international text

16 REPLIES 16

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@jhen wrote:

Sounds like international plan should actually state US only?  I do use WhatsApp...but thought I could use PM too.  Not working while in greece

@jhen  No, International texts means that while your are in Canada you can send and recive texts internationally. Even if you are in the US you will not be able to send texts without purchasing a US roaming add-on.

Except, unofficially:) apparently, you can receive texts (and some even say calls) while in the US without roaming, but you cannot send or return texts/calls without the US roaming add-ons.  Another PM quirk:)

@dabr When in the US you cannot send texts without an addon.

But...um...he said that.

And yes, unofficially, I have received texts and calls without a roaming add-on. I wouldn't rely on that quirk as it could change anytime to the official functioning.

I knew about the incoming texts but wasn't too sure if the incoming calls without the US roaming worked as well, so thanks for confirming.  Anway, I'm 'officially' hoping this 'unofficial quirk' remains, but yes best not to count on it being there forever:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@jhen wrote:

Sounds like international plan should actually state US only?  I do use WhatsApp...but thought I could use PM too.  Not working while in greece

@jhen  No, International texts means that while your are in Canada you can send and recive texts internationally. Even if you are in the US you will not be able to send texts without purchasing a US roaming add-on.

Except, unofficially:) apparently, you can receive texts (and some even say calls) while in the US without roaming, but you cannot send or return texts/calls without the US roaming add-ons.  Another PM quirk:)

But...um...he said that.

And yes, unofficially, I have received texts and calls without a roaming add-on. I wouldn't rely on that quirk as it could change anytime to the official functioning.

@jhen wrote:

Sending and receiving while in Greece is the problem...not working

Not supposed to work.  Yes, international text is include if you're not roaming. No Public Mobile network in Greece.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jhen wrote:

Why would you even assume and this applies to almost every cell Provider around the world that your local in country plan work in another country.  The term 'Roaming' has been around ever since the mid to late nineties.  When you are in another country you are no longer connected to your Providers Network.  Which means you are now Roaming and in almost every case your plan features will 'NOT' work unless it specifically says in your plan that you have Roaming included in so and so country

jhen

Thanks for the tips!

@dabr wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@jhen wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@jhen wrote:

@jhen wrote:

jhen

jhen

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jhen wrote:

I am unable to send and receive text from Greece.   I have unlimited international text

@jhen  As others already have mentioned that only applies when you are in Canada.

Download Hangouts Dialer and as long as you have WiFi you can make calls back home free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@YVR wrote:

@jhen wrote:

Just to clarify you are trying to send/receive text while you are in Canada to a Greek number

Indeed. That *could* be an interpretation of the OP.

We recently heard from someone saying that texting to Pakistan wasn't working. Hmm

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only offers roaming in the US.  You could buy a local sim or Gigsky sim.  If you have wi-fi the you could use apps like WhatsApp, Fongo, Textnow, or Skype.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jhen wrote:

Just to clarify you are trying to send/receive text while you are in Canada to a Greek number

Public will only work in Canada and the USA(if you have a travel add-on or roaming plan)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jhen wrote:

It's such a commonly misunderstood terminology that they really should change it. Public Mobile services only work in Canada. They have roaming agreements in the US. That's it.

Edit: ninja'd

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Unlimited international text only works when you're in Canada...

Public mobile does not offer a plan for Greece...only roaming in USA with a USA add-on.

I suggest you download "TEXTNOW" app...you can get a Canadian number in your area.....you just need wifi..and it's free to call , text and people can call and text you....they can even leave a voicemail if your not connected to internet.

Need Help? Let's chat.