cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages to "7723" -- So Confused

MikeyCanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. Been using PM for a while now and all has been trouble free until yesterday when I changed to a new phone (Oneplus 6).  I am on the $10/month plan (50 text msgs).

I received a text from PM late last night informing me that I have 10 text msgs left on my plan.  I thought that was strange since I am a very light text user and probably have sent 5 text messages in my current bill cycle.  So I log into my PM account this morning to reconcile my text messages and I see a bunch of text messages to "7723" (usage type: minutes), huh?????

I also no longer see a running total of my text message count which I think I used to see on my overview page. Presumably this means I'm out of text messages now?  I have about 10 days left in my cycle and I need to send a couple of more texts soon.  Can I get some advice as to what is going on?  Many thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Regarding Oneplus users, I managed to find out how this bug happens and submitted to Oneplus in late February. They have fixed it in the latest update for OxygenOS 9.0.5. (I am using Oneplus 5T.) Tested working.

Please refer to the changelog 'Phone - Improved stability for the Phone app'.

dogsheep

Looks like the 7723 texts have returned, so it's back to disabling SMS permission in the phone app.

dogsheep

I just joined PM and my phone initially sends several texts to 7723 after activing and transferring my old phone number. I then setup voicemail, disabled the SMS permission for the phone app and restarted my phone. The texts stopped, so probably one of those things helped. Even after I reenabled SMS in the phone app, the 7723 texts are gone. I'm using the Essential phone on Android Pie.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JennLynn wrote:

I have a Samsung Note 9, recently updated to Android Pie. I disabled the SMS permission in the phone app, but it is still sending texts to 7723 all the time. I’m on the basic plan and pretty much all my texts for the month are used up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Check all apps for anything SMS and then disable SMS in each one by one until you find the one at fault. Maybe try a different dialer. Maybe a different texting app.

It might also be that the read confirmations and such are using one.

Also be aware that writing long missives count as multiple texts.

@JennLynn wrote:

I have a Samsung Note 9, recently updated to Android Pie. I disabled the SMS permission in the phone app, but it is still sending texts to 7723 all the time. I’m on the basic plan and pretty much all my texts for the month are used up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What I found in an another thread..

AEA6880A-04CC-4A28-BF6E-4CA8A3C92E0E.png

I hope it will help in your case...

JennLynn

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

sometimes those short numbers are like speed dial numbers, they could also be promotional texts

@slash407 yes, but not in this case. 7723 is Google's dialer (or now apparently also OnePlus's dialer) app doing something in the background, particularly whenever the phone is rebooted.  I believe speculation is that it has something to do with checking if visual voicemail is available on the account, though I'm not sure of the logistics of how this works.  Regardless, revoking the SMS permission on the Phone app seems to prevent it from doing so.  As a PM customer, there is no downside to revoking this permissions, since VVM is not a service that's offered here.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Carld123 wrote:

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@Carld123 it would have been just as easy to answer his question, or provide a link to the thread. 

GC

@GreatCanadian

Getting familiar with the search feature is a bad thing I guess......

Nope, not at all. Getting familiar with the search feature is definitely advisable. But you could have provided some helpful information regarding his issue (as the posters below you did), and then gave the OP some tips on the search feature so he could use it in the future.

GC

Carld123

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@Carld123 it would have been just as easy to answer his question, or provide a link to the thread. 

GC

@GreatCanadian

Getting familiar with the search feature is a bad thing I guess......

GreatCanadian

GC

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MikeyCanada please see here, I included screen shots from my OnePlus 5T also running Oxygen OS 9.0 like your OP6 is:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Monthly-texts-being-used-up-but-I-m-n...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MikeyCanada wrote:

Hello. Been using PM for a while now and all has been trouble free until yesterday when I changed to a new phone (Oneplus 6).  I am on the $10/month plan (50 text msgs).

I received a text from PM late last night informing me that I have 10 text msgs left on my plan.  I thought that was strange since I am a very light text user and probably have sent 5 text messages in my current bill cycle.  So I log into my PM account this morning to reconcile my text messages and I see a bunch of text messages to "7723" (usage type: minutes), huh?????

I also no longer see a running total of my text message count which I think I used to see on my overview page. Presumably this means I'm out of text messages now?  I have about 10 days left in my cycle and I need to send a couple of more texts soon.  Can I get some advice as to what is going on?  Many thanks in advance!

This is a phone thing. Not a Public Mobile thing.

Putting the SIM into a different phone made the new phone want to send internal texts to somewhere in Google land. There is a permission in the dialer that tells it to not send SMS's.

It's only the $10 plan people that care. The same thing will happen with others but with unlimited texts no one keeps count.

Carld123

@MikeyCanada

Do a search on..texts to 7723..there is a thread there with a solution to your issue

Need Help? Let's chat.