cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Message saying cell being used by another SIM

NIexile1970
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am still fairly new to Canada and got this text today. Not sure if spam or legit and what to do in any event! This is a new cell and I used the SIM on old SIM until a week ago but this arrived today.

Screenshot_20190315-070607.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Definetely SPAM. You should block it and mark it as spam.Smiley Happy

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NIexile1970 wrote:

Not sure if spam or legit and what to do in any event!

Screenshot_20190315-070607.jpg

That's a strange message to receive!  But MCC (Mobile Country Code) 641 translates to Uganda, and MNC (Mobile Network Code) 10 for Uganda translates to MTN Ltd.  Does that jive with anything you'd be familiar with?

In any case, probably best to just ignore...

If it was me and my phone was working I would ignore it, then renove notifications for that number. Considering that not even one other person has written / talking about the first part of that message "your cellphone is used by another sim card, position is:" in quotes.

Google says. No results found for "your cellphone is used by another sim card".

If it was professional they probably also would have said "Your device ID XXXXXXXXX" or something. "Your cellphone" sounds dumb to me.

Then a few minutes later I would use one of my texting apps and try to text them back and say "Oh noes! what do I do now"? in hopes the likely scammer lets me know how to proceed so I can tell my grand mother to be careful in one more way.

I do not believe this is legitimate. My understanding is that if a network has 2 identical IMEI numbers (and if somone has put a fake IMEI onto a device), both might be barred from connecting.

Let's assume that the information in that message is true (which I don't believe that it is), that network code is for a network code and tower identification code is for a different country.

In addition, that message looks to have been sent by standard SMS text mesaage, based on what looks to me to  some type of stock Google messaging app.  If that's the case/if I'm correct about that, the other carrier would have  no way to know which phone number to send the message to.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Certainly isn't a Canadian phone number as the number is more than 10 digits (US also).  I'd say most likely is a spam message.

Need Help? Let's chat.