cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing US Data Add Before Entering the US

curiousperuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am heading to the US next Saturday for four days. I'm going to buy a $10 day data plan (haven't decided which one yet). If I buy the plan on Thursday (a couple days before my scheduled departure), is there a way to test whether I have everything set up properly? Or do I need to be in the U.S. to actually connect to AT&T (or whichever US carrier), to fully test it?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

curiousperuser

Update (in case anyone is following along or has similar questions):

I have an unlocked iPhone. I purchased the US data add on through the PM website on my laptop in the Canadian airport just before I departed for the U.S.

When I landed in the U.S. I turned airplane mode off, and my phone connected to AT&T right away (I was in Florida). The data package worked perfectley and I was mostly on LTE, though occaisionally I went down to 3G.

It was nice to have everything work so smoothly. 

There isn't any way to test a service until actually trying to use it.  To test out U.S. data, you will first have to be connected to a network in the U.S.   You may be able to give it a try when you are very close to the border before crossing.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mtfolks

Oh yes, good point. I misread that:) 

mtfolks

@Lg85 OP says they’re only going for four days, tho. A day or two in advance in this case isn’t a bad idea in this case. Especially, since the last thing you want to be doing is scrambling to get it added, etc day of. 

Lg85

@curiousperuser

Please also note that the US roaming add-ons expire 10 days after you purchase the add-on. So if you are considering purchasing 2 days early (while you are still in Canada), you will only be using it for 8 days in the US. .

I would recommend you purchase the add on in Canada on the day you are set to travel to the US. 🙂

mtfolks

I would second double and triple checking self serve to make sure the add on shows properly after you buy it.

Should you experience any issues when you get to the US try doing a quick phone reset and see if that fixes it. If not, you may have to jump on wifi somewhere and send the mods a DM so they can look into what’s going on on their end. 

Enjoy your trip!

ky01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I guess another way to add comfort is to check in the self-serve portal whether the add-on you purchased is showing under the add-ons section. If it is, chances are, you're good to go 🙂

curiousperuser

Thank you. I'll keep reading related posts to make sure I understand how to be fully prepared.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@curiousperuser, the only true test is when you are in the US (or close enough to the border to pick up one of the US roaming partners).  What you should do is make sure you are prepared in case something glitches.

Need Help? Let's chat.