cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary data and text add-on possible?

RexBuck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Currently on a 90 day Provincial Talk only plan as I am out of the country but still want to receive messages.  Will be returning home for a week and thought I could just get a 10 day add-on for text and data for while I'm at home and then my 90 day talk plan would continue after the 10 days were up.  However, looking at the options, it seems only US text and data is available as an add on.

My understanding is that if I select a 10 day plan from the regular menu (talk, text, data), it would constitute a permanent change and I would loose the remainder of my 90 day term with the current Talk plan.  Is that correct?

Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated... 😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren last time I swear I heard Google was killing off GV

I know at one point they stopped allowing new acts

srlawren

@imm1304 nobody's perfect.  😉  It would be nice if Google could open GV up to Canada soon.  There were rumours of them doing that recently when they relaunched the app, but it hasn't happened so far.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

@srlawren, thanks for that clarification.  I forgot abut the US requirement for Google Voice as I lived in the states when I used it. 

@RexBuck the ChatSim supports TXT as well (just most people use graphical programs these days)

It will work in Canada, USA & Mexico but they will assign you a random number

You just want a second phone number to TXT people in Canada?

Go here https://textfree.us/

Pick whatever city (Canada or USA) you want

No charge

Now you can send TXT from your "real" number or your "virtual" number 

You can even TXT yourself to test it Cat Very Happy

All you need is WiFi or data connection

RexBuck

This is all interesting - I've never considered using messaging apps before.  I have an account for use in the US with a US carrier that gives me SMS texting and another account in Mexico for use in Mexico with a Mexican carrier that gives me SMS texting.  So, what I need is something that will allow SMS texting in Canada.

Sounds like WhatsApp is out if I need my Canadian phone texting active to receive the confirmation text.  What about the Facebook Messanger?  Can you only text to people with Messanger or is it somehow tied to the phone number and can send/receive texts at that number?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@RexBuck depends where you are headed. For US use, the easiest solution is to add on the US roaming plan for 10 days

If you are heading international one of the best I have seen is ChatSim

$20 per year gets you unlimited messaging (iMessage, WhatsApp, BBM, whatever)

https://www.chatsim.com/

Check list of countries supported but pretty much can use it world wide

srlawren

@imm1304 Google Voice, really?  Hmmm.  Are you talking about SMS over GV?  If so, I think you need to have an American phone number right?  I don't think you can activate it in Canada or with a Canadian phone number currently?

I'm still thinking if @RexBuck is looking for the best coverage, either WhatsApp or FB Messenger (or a combo of the two) will likely cover off the vast majority of people he may want to message.  There are a ton of alternatives of course.  Or @RexBuck if you're on iPhone and only contact iPhone users then your choice is even easier, you could just disable SMS fallback in iMessage (I'm not an iOS guy so can't give you directions but many others can if you ask 🙂 ) and you can communicate over data without needing to use any other apps, since iMessage is already ubiquitous on iPhones.  

imm1304

The Google Voice app is an excellent alternative as well.  You can send and receive messages using this app.  Check it out!  

srlawren

Agreed with @imm1304, many people have WhatsApp.  Another popular one that many have is Facebook Messenger.  But you'd be best to check with the person/people you want to chat with to see what they use.

@RexBuck  Whatsapp use data to send and receive.   

Use other app that let you send text message.  It is little different.  Depends on what you want to do, and what's your receiver has. Most people has the basix cell text function.

imm1304

Whatsapp is one of the best messaging apps and probably most widely used as well.  

One problem is that Whatsapp will send a verification text during the initial setup. Without a text plan with PM, u will not be able to receive that text. 

RexBuck

Thanks for the ideas folks.  Looks like a Data add-on and get a Texting Ap will make the most sense.  Looking through Google Store, anybody have experience with WhatsApp?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4

Steve

Tell us the make/model of your phone for more specific ideas.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

There is no addon for short period for text.  There is data thought.

If you changed your plan, to new one the previous plan would be forfeit.  So better use data addon and use text on an app,   There is some setup involve, if you know what to do.  

imm1304

Hi @RexBuck!

There are no text add-ons for home.  The data add-on would partially help you. 

The US roaming text add-ons will be useless for your situation.  

You can, however, change your plan to a 10-day plan with talk, text and data.  Then, change back to your 90-day talk only plan.  All of this can be done from the selfserve at your convenience.  You can eve future-date the plan change of your choice to take effect on next renewal date.  

Alternatively, you may choose to just add the data add-on which never expires until used up.  Then use other instant messaging apps or get a cheap $2/month sms service via the Fongo app. Fongo app will work using mobile data or wifi. It comes with its own separate number though.  As a bonus, the Fongo app will have free local calling included.  

Need Help? Let's chat.