cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk and text plan - Data use for picture message?

007derek
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello , I'm on the talk and text plan with an iPhone 6 and iPhone 5. I had to turn "cellular data" on to get picture text messages working. I've always left it off in the past to not have any accidental data charges. If I'm not signed up for a data plan with public mobile is it safe to leave this setting on and not pull data by accident ?

i only use wifi 

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@susmeetdhillon the above responses are correct.  One of the biggest adjustments to moving to PM's pre-paid model is remembering that there can never be an "after-the-fact" charge or unexpected add-on.  To get anything, you have to explicitly select and pay for it up front, period.  You get what you pay for, and you get absolutely nothing else, with no surprise bills at the end of the month.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@susmeetdhillon wrote:

Hi there, 

New on here and just want to confirm. I have a "No-Data" plan, yet the phone shows 4G. Will an add-on be automatically added, if I have not done so during sign-up?

Thanks.

You don't need a data plan to use MMS, but you do need data to be turned on within your phone.  There is no extra charge for the data that is used for MMS.

susmeetdhillon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, 

New on here and just want to confirm. I have a "No-Data" plan, yet the phone shows 4G. Will an add-on be automatically added, if I have not done so during sign-up?

Thanks.

007derek

Thanks for the help 

Correct, you are never charged for data if it is not part of your plan.

Properly set up: Settings >> Messaging >> iMessgae ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your PM phone number and your iCloud account email address.

Cellular Data and Roaming should be ON.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

007derek

So When I leave my Wifi Area LTE is coming on , I have no data plan active and paid for talk and text unlimited including picture messenging. There is no way I can pull data and be charged with it?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Data has to be enabled to receive MMS.  MMS data is not metered.  There are no fears of extra charges.  Public Mobile is a prepaid service.  You never get charged for anything that is not purchased in advance.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since Public Mobile is prepaid, there is never any risk of accidental charges.  If you are able to send and receive picture messages without having a data plan, you won't be charged extra.

That being said, do you have any data add-ons? It's possible that turning on cellular data could allow those adds-ons to be used for iMessages, which may be sent over cellular data.

Need Help? Let's chat.