cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk and Text US Roaming ($15) and wifi

kaiser_soze
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I purchased the Talk and Text Only US Roaming (no data) and rely on wifi.

If data stays off, and say I was using WhatsApp with wifi, I wanted to know if I lose wifi temporarily, will I be billed any roaming charges?  My assumption is no roaming since my data remains off.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaiser_soze wrote:

Interesting.  So even without any US roaming plan, you were able to answer the inbound call and not incur any charges.  So theoretically one could just get unlimited text only US Roaming ($8) and ask folks or apps to call them back while in the US.  I say this because there are tools like Webex that allow it to call you and you can just avoid the $15 talk and text US Roam.

None of what I said about incoming is official. It could change at any time. Simply that it was my experience as of this past January.

kaiser_soze

Interesting.  So even without any US roaming plan, you were able to answer the inbound call and not incur any charges.  So theoretically one could just get unlimited text only US Roaming ($8) and ask folks or apps to call them back while in the US.  I say this because there are tools like Webex that allow it to call you and you can just avoid the $15 talk and text US Roam.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The definitve description is MMS use unmetered mobile data (goes through a proxy), thus the unlimited MMS usage and the need to keep mobile data enabled. 

@kaiser_soze wrote:

Yes, MMS texts use data so that was my concern because I didn't purchase any data roaming package in the US.  So if I lose wifi, it just won't receive the picture/video message until Wifi is restored, correct?

@kaiser_soze  Correct, as @Anonymous  mentioned MMS requires data to be on but does not use any data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaiser_soze wrote:

Yes, MMS texts use data so that was my concern because I didn't purchase any data roaming package in the US.  So if I lose wifi, it just won't receive the picture/video message until Wifi is restored, correct?

When I was last in the states, I didn't get any roaming add-ons. I connected to AT&T, got the welcome to the US text from PM and then left it. I was surprised to get texts and calls. I couldn't reply back or call out of course. All the while wondering hmm...am I gonna see penalties on the account or reductions in Available Funds. No.

MMS don't "use" data per se. They need cell data to be on to work. I'm not sure about while in the states.

kaiser_soze

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kaiser_soze wrote:

Hi

I purchased the Talk and Text Only US Roaming (no data) and rely on wifi.

If data stays off, and say I was using WhatsApp with wifi, I wanted to know if I lose wifi temporarily, will I be billed any roaming charges?  My assumption is no roaming since my data remains off.

@kaiser_soze  There are no roaming charges with PM. So you have nothing to worry when it comes to extra roaming charges.

Edit: No need to turn data off. In fact leave it on for MMS texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.